your opinion of the Zone VI enlarger for LF ??

dave b

<p>

Are there any folk here who use or have knowledge of the Zone VI

enlargers?  There are 2 of them on eBay right now

<a

href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7547214270&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT">here</a>

and

<a

href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7547214270&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT">here</a>.  

I was thinking about them for 4X5, but they both have 8X10

heads. Are these any good? I'll post this in the darkroom forum

if I don't get any responses.  I was just wondering if any LF

people have them.</p>

<p>

THANKS !</p>

A few years back one of my photographer friends had one of these and I used it a few times. It's a decent piece of equipment, but I wouldn't go near that "buy-it-now" price of $1400. Moreover, if you aren't going to need more than 4x5, I would stay away from it. They're pretty big.

Enlargers are going for a song these days. I have a Beseler 4x5 MXT with a Dichro color head that I was recently considering selling. But when I saw what they were going for on ebay, I just decided to keep it. There's one of these just posted on ebay yesterday (no, it's not mine). Keep an eye on it; you might get it really cheap. And in my opinion it is a much better piece of equipment than the Zone VI enlargers.

I used one for a couple of yeras. It was ok but I wasn't wild bout it. Had trouble aligning it,

found the light source not terribly to my liking and, overall, was not IMO the best enlarger I

have ever used. Went back to Saunders.

BTW, the prices you are looking at are way way out of line as mentiuoned above.

Both "here" sent me to the same auction which as of now has ended. This enlarger is a Type II, has two posts in the chassis. A Zone VI enlarger that is still available is a Type I enlarger, one post in the chassis. Type I enlargers are not supported by Calumet any longer. I have a Zone VI type II with the VC head. I like the Variable contrast and oversized coverage for 4X5, but I have had an focus extension on order for months and it is impossible to focus with a critical focusing lens when the enlarger is extended farther than my arms can reach when my head is on the paper.

I also thave a Beseler MX series enlarger with a stabelized cold light head, not VC. I like the beseler over the Zone VI but I like the VC system over the non-VC system, because of paper economy. Both auctions are over priced for the Zone VI enlarger.

Paul

Brian,

There are options. Many photographers are using dichroic heads on the Beseler for VC. I just happened to get a great deal on the Zone VI, too hard to pass up and once I have a piece of equipment I tend to work it to death. I just wish I could focus the stage for an enlargement greater than 11X14 with out having to locate a "darkroom assistant". The focusing knob is on top of the enlarger, not on the bottom of the lens stage. Ansel Adams used to make vertical projections and I never understood how he could focus on the image himself. His assistants used to say he would only work in the darkroom alone, by himself, no distractions. I can only imagine they sat outside and waited for him to yell, FOCUS, and they would come in and turn the knob until he said, GOOD; NOW GO OUTSIDE AND SIT DOWN. Urban photographic legend? Probably, but I never had an opportunity to sit and wait for him to yell, FOCUS, so I don't know.

Paul