Your One Favorite Olympus OM camera and lens?

rob_h5

<p>If you had to narrow down to ONLY ONE Olympus OM camera and ONE Olympus OM Zuiko lens combo (prime or zoom) which ones would it be and why?</p>

<p>For me it's my Olympus OM-3 camera and OM Zuiko 100mm f2.0 ED lens (a photo of my camera below) as my favorite one camera and lens combo. I just love how the OM-3 can operate without batteries, which is refreshing in this day of digital. And the Spot meter with HL/SD is superb. The OM Zuiko 100mm f2.0 ED is razor sharp rivaling medium format lenses.</p><div>00XitP-304465684.jpg.c73bd028604b2c955f8b2073ce40ec26.jpg</div>

<p>My two favorite OM cameras: Olympus Pen F half frame 35mm SLR with the unique shutter. My Olympus Evolt-500 DSLR with adapters to allow use of manual focus lenses, Nikkors, Tamrons, Pentax M42's, and Leicaflex SL lenses. By the way, of the two kit lenses, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 40 to 150 zoom is made in Japan, rather rare in this market of global manufacturing (mostly far east but not Japan). Incidentally, the images produced with this zoom are really outstanding. </p>

<p><em>Was</em> the OM-1 and 50/1.4 silver nose Zuiko. Sold my entire OM kit a few years ago and kinda regret selling those two items. The 50/3.5 macro had also been one of my favorite walk around lenses with the OM-1.</p>

<p>Next closest thing to it that I still have - in terms of compact size, light weight and intangible lens characteristics - is the Nikon FM2N and 50/2 AI. But the Nikon gear is just enough larger that it won't fit into my favorite waist bag, a small Lowepro Off Trail 1 that easily held the OM-1 with mounted lens up to the length of the 75-150/4, 50/1.4, 50/3.5 macro, T-20 flash, one of my Tamron Adaptall wide angles with OM mount. Hardly any of my Nikon gear will fit that same bag - the FM2N is a tighter squeeze in the main compartment and all of the Nikkors are too large in diameter for easy access once stuffed into the lens pouches.</p>

<p>Not really OMs, but I still have and enjoy using the 35 RC compact rangefinder and C-3040Z digicam. Also have an XA-3 but don't use it often.</p>

<p>It is a toss up between the OM-3 and OM4Ti. I would say if I am to dwell in civilized surroundings it would be the OM-4Ti but if it is expedition-time in extreme weather (cold or hot) away from cities, then my very dependable OM-3, hands down.</p>

<p>Lens: the old "radioactive" 55mm/F1.2 is one of my favs, for sure. For wide, the 35mm/F2.0. The 24mm/F2.8 is a bit too wide for most occasions. In-your-face sort of lens.</p>

<p>If I could take only one OM camera and lens it would be my OM-1n and 50mm f1.8. You ask us to say Why? I've owned and OM-3Ti and an OM-4Ti (both stolen at different times) and OM-2n (loaned) and an OM2000 (which I still have!). The OM 3Ti is a great camera, pity there's no self timer. Also the OM 4Ti is a great camera, particularly the spot metering. But after they were stolen I decided to stick with relatively inexpensive cameras. The OM-1n is such a simple camera and you can't fault the photos it takes. Many will agree with me when I say it grows on you! Also repair and servicing does not seem to be too much of a problem. I got the OM2000 because it's lighter and has 1/125 flash synchronisation. I use it when backpacking and it comes into its own when I need to balance flash and ambient light in bright conditions (e.g. on top of a mountain)...but, that scenario aside, if I could take only one it would still be the OM-1n. As for lenses, it would have to be the 50mm f1.8 because its the most versatile lens. All Zuiko primes (and I have 7 of them) are good enough optically so the choice of lens should be determined by the application...in the absence of a specific application, the most versatile lens is the best.</p>

<p>I remember when I saw a Olympus OM-4T with 50mm f/1.4 and motor drive 2 in the display of a camera store in Innsbrook, Austria. I could have purchased it for the asking price equivalent of $450.00, but I had just enough to last me the week for hotel, food costs, and some souvenirs.</p>

<p>However, I shot with my OM-2 for more than 25 years and it still operates fine. It has been to Europe and about 35 states, from Maine to Florida to California. With the 55mm f/1.2 lens and the Vivitar 28-105mm, f/2.8 Series 1, this 35mm camera was my mainstay over the first camera, Voigtlander Bessamatic (1967-1976).</p>

<p>Eventually I purchased a backup OM-2, MD-1 and MD-2, Vivitar 70-210mm, Zuiko 24mm, and a Vivitar 120-600mm lens. At the time, I was into sports photography.</p>

<p>The reason the OM-series have been around and are still being used is because of its durability. It's an awesome system, and the Zuiko lenses, perhaps not on the same level of quality as Schneider or Zeiss, but good glass.</p>

<p>If it wasn't for the age of digital photography and I had to resort to film, the OM-2 and other OM cameras would be the choice over Nikon and Canon. Without a doubt!</p>

<p>A great question and since I bought my first OM-1 in 1976, have never looked at another brand. I still have the first OM-1 and have a second OM-1, and Winder 2's for each. I love the simplicity of the camera, it's size, weight and design especially like the shutter speed ring on the mount. I still have my OM-4 and love the metering but would prefer the OM-3 for it's ability to shoot without a battery. That OM-4 which I bought over 20 years ago just as the Titanium version hit the market is still in great shape but gets little use these days since I bought an e3 early 2008. While technically not an OM series camera, I love my XA as well. It was the prefect pocket camera for fun shots. I would go with an OM-1 equipped with any of the following: Zuiko 21mm f3.5 / Zuiko 100 f2.8 / Zuiko zoom 35-70 f3.6 would be my favourite combination on any given day.</p>

<p>These last posts are really great - OM1/2's that have seen regular use since the 1970's really is a testament to the build quality of the cameras. I also have an OM1n, purchased in 1982 that is still going strong. It was my only camera for many years, and was a real workhorse. It was only two years ago when I had it CLA'd, so I am hoping it will be good for a couple more decades. I don't use it as often as I did (prefer the 3/4Ti's), but I always run a few rolls of film through it each year and it always accompanies me on overseas trips for nostalgic reasons, as it was purchased as a travel camera.</p>

<p>There is no doubt about it, the OM System was, and still is something very special to photography.</p>

<p>@Steve, +1 from me.</p>

<p>Wasn't there a "big Japanese camera manufacturer" who did a "rerun" of an old mechanical rangefinder, starting with N...? I am almost convinced that a new batch of OM series bodies would soon sell out, even in these digital days. I for one would not hesitate one second to get myself, for example, a brand new OM-3Ti from the factory at almost any price. Think of a complete, new, OM line all with modern circuitry and in wonderful Ti versions...yummy!</p>

<p>Looking at the turnover of OM lenses, obviously most likely getting adapted to 4/3s or other bodies - but still, even here may lie opportunitiies for Olympus Corp. Seems to me that prices are increasing for fast OM primes lately, or I may just be imagining things.</p>

<p>But I know I am just dreaming. All the tooling and skillssets required to manufacture these mechanical miniature marvels is probably lost forever. A bit like the Saturn V moon rocket. Which was also the greatest of them all, in its domain, yet to be surpassed or even matched.</p>

<p>All we seem to get now are minicomputers in disguise with umpteen buttons and 3000 menus, in wonderful black plastic :( And some say they choose to shoot film "because it slows them down". I wonder...</p>