Your Minimal Kit...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>D2H, 18-70/3.5-4.5 DX or 35-70/2.8D AF Nikkor, depending on what I anticipate encountering. Outdoors and daylight, I'll go for the handy DX Nikkor. I'll usually grab the faster zoom for nighttime and indoor stuff. I like tight framing so the 52.5-105mm equivalent focal range suits my preferences for photographing people.</p>

<p>If I don't want to carry a bag I'll stick an extra CF card in a pocket. Sometimes I'll wear cargo jeans and carry an extra card, battery, lens wipes, etc., in the pockets.</p>

<p>Ideally, I'd rather have the lighter, smaller D90 and a fast midrange zoom, preferably a lighter one like a Tamron f/2.8 rather than the heavier Nikkor 17-55/2.8. I'm considering swapping/selling a bunch of stuff I'm not using for just that sort of combo.</p>

<p>And my truly minimal kit is either an Olympus 35 RC or XA-3 stuffed with Tri-X or Ilford XP2 Super.</p>

<p>D700, empty card, fresh battery, and one lens. Which lens will vary based on where I'm going, usually a prime between 35 and 105mm. It would have to be a specialized trip to take something wider or longer. Sometimes it'll be a Lensbaby Composer or the 50-135/3.5 AIS. No bag, just the camera over the shoulder.</p>

<p>Or, occasionally, it's a Zero Image pinhole camera with a tripod or other support device, plus film and meter. (There will be a bag in this case.)</p>

<p>I'm surprised there are "minimal" kits involving a bag full of gear. Don't you ever leave home with just a camera and one lens?</p>

<p>D80, Nikons 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR, polarizer, Canon 500D macro, spare battery. WIll add SB-800 flash if going out at night. Now also have Benro Travel Angel A-269 tripod which folds up to 15 inches.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>Lowepro CompuTrekker AW backpack...with...</p>

<p>Nikon D700 + MB-10<br>

Nikon D60<br>

AF 50mm f/1.8D<br>

AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VRII Mikro<br>

AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII<br>

AF-S Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED<br>

AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G<br>

Nikon SB-900<br>

SanDisk 2GB SD , and 2GB, 2GB and 8GB CF cards<br>

Cokin Graduated ND, standard ND8, and CP filter...</p>

<p>Nikon D300 with 16-85mm ED DX AF-S VR zoom and Nikon 10-24mm ED DX AF-S zoom with 10 4gb Sandisk Ultra II CF cards.<br>

Nikon F100 with Tamron 17-35mm SP Aspherical zoom, and Nikon 70-300mm AF-D ED zoom.<br>

Nikon F3HP with Nikon 55mm f2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor, and Nikon 180mm f2.8 AIS ED.<br>

Nikon P6000 with extra battery and 2 Sandisk Ultra II 8gb SDHC cards.</p>

<p>If I can't bring my camera bag or backpack with me, I'll be happy with:<br>

Nikon D80 (until it was stolen yesterday, anyway...)<br>

AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D or 85mm f/1.8D</p>

<p>If I do have a bag with me, I'll often carry a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (also stolen...), a AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D, and a SB-800.</p>

<p>I've come to feel that no matter what combination of focal lengths I have with me, I'll never be able to take every picture I wish I could capture; the light changes, people move and their expressions shift. It's more important to anticipate the possibilities I'll have with what I have close at hand.</p>

<p>~Phillip</p>

<p>D300, Nikkor 24mm f2.8 AF, SB-400 flash. Could travel the world with that list. I'd throw in my Nikkor 20mm f2.8 AF as a back up lens and my D200 if travelling the world!</p>

<p>Or a Fm2, 35mm f2 AIS, SB22s flash and a bunch of tri-x if using film...</p>

<p>Minimal? Just my D90 and 18-200 zoom, maybe a flash, too.</p>

<p>What I carry around in my bag (laptop and camera travel with me to work and home always)</p>

<p>D90<br>

11-16 f2.8 Tokina<br>

35mm f1.8 Nikkor<br>

50mm f1.8 Nikkor<br>

55mm f3.5 Nikkor</p>

<p>The 18-200 lives at home on my wife's D50 if she wants it. But when I go out to shoot it often comes with me.</p>

<p>It depends upon what you mean by "minimal"</p>

<p>Absolute minimal - my cell phone - a Samsung Solstice. It take remarkably good images for what it is.</p>

<p>Next step up - a Canon PowerShot Pro1 - my only digital (other than the phone). It is capable of very good images, but is one of the most frustrating cameras I have used - including the box cameras I had as a boy. Pre-focusing helps with this camera. </p>

<p>My choice - my F100 with Nikkor 35-70 f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4D, SB-28 flash. Add a 105mm f/2.5 lens for informal portraits. Add a 24mm f/2.8 manual focus if I need wide angle. Of course add film.</p>

<p>If I want a challenge, a Bronica s2a with Nikkor 75mm f/2.8 lens, a Vivitar 285 flash, and film.</p>

<p>Still building mine but for what i like shooting:<br>

D80<br>

tokina 50-135 f2.8 (just received today, yay!)<br>

future acquistions for 'minimal' kit:<br>

choice of sigma 10-20 or tokina 12-24<br>

*maybe* a nikon 35 f1.8<br>

tripod</p>