Your "go to" gear when you MUST deliver

Member69643

<p>Ok, this is mindless conjecture, but I'm curious. Let's say you just found out an hour before the wedding your son/daughter's wedding photographer fell ill and can't shoot. YOU have to. You know this is a once in a lifetime (hopefully) event and your kid really wants good pictures. You have two rolls of 35mm Portra 160. What camera do you grab? Doesn't really have to be a wedding but some really rare once in a lifetime sorta thing and you really want to deliver.</p>

<p>Pretty easy eh, we'd all grab the most reliable and familiar camera we have... so that's part 1, what would YOU grab?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For me, it's the Canon EOS-1V because my most "pro" system is Canon flavored.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The second part is the nightmare. You get to the wedding and open up your camera bag, and go "OH NO! Wrong bag!" What camera would be in there as your worst nightmare?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ahhhh! It's my Fuji STX-2. The mirror CLANG is enough to wake the dead. Great glass though!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd like to hear from everyone, but am really curious what those of us who have more than 20 cameras would grab. And which one you'd fear the most. The one thing that I'd ask though is that your most feared camera be one that actually works. A dead/dying clunker isn't a nightmare, it's a disaster. Let's stick with nightmares. Feel free to pick a classic manual camera if you wish, I just put the thread here to be as flexible as possible.</p>

<p>Caveats, YMMV, don't try this at home, this is drivel. Have fun with it or ignore it. :)</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Is this post, especially the end of it, a sign that P.net is becoming "self-aware"? Will there be "SkyNet" like consequences? :)</p>

<p>I'm afraid if I had to shoot a wedding, I'd go with my digital cameras.<br>

If film were required, I suppose my Canon EOS 3.</p>

<p>My nightmare kit would be a Kodak Signet 35, the only camera I ever hated....</p>

<p>Since you specify film, for my first choice I'd grab my Nikon F5 followed by my Contax RX, followed by my Olympus OM2n, followed by my Canon T90...then a string of others. If I still had it, I'd certainly include my Leica R8 this list as the lenses were wonderful. I'd avoid both the Canon A1 and Exakta Varex I used to have, as I seemed to have real difficulty with the viewfinders.</p>

The first film grab bag has a pair of

F4S's in it. The oh-no scenario would

be finding just an F2 because although

it's a favorite I don't have the flash

shoe for it. Of course I'd get my butt

kicked for not having a digital with me.

Steve I think the Moms might be

wanting to have a little talk with you.:-)

Rick H.

<p>First I do agree with someone who said that you don't need pictures of the wedding. Second I would only grab what I have. Not renting.<br>

So I have these cameras to choose from<br>

Nikon F5<br>

Nikon F3HP<br>

Nikon FM<br>

Nikonos V<br>

Nikon N2020<br>

Pentax KX<br>

Minolta SRT-101<br>

Minolta XD-11<br>

Olympus OM-2<br>

Olympus 35RC<br>

Olympus XA<br>

Canonet QL17<br>

Petri 7s<br>

My choice is the Nikon F3HP</p>

<p>Like JDM, if I <em>have</em> to shoot anything it would be with my dslr, the 7D, but given the scenario, it would most definitely be my 1v. I'd use the Elan 7 as a film back-up body. As for the nightmare bag, it would have to be a bag filled with film point & shoot cameras, of which I have quite a few.</p>

<p>Like JDM, if I <em>have</em> to shoot anything it would be with my dslr, the 7D, but given the scenario, it would most definitely be my 1v. I'd use the Elan 7 as a film back-up body. As for the nightmare bag, it would have to be a bag filled with film point & shoot cameras, of which I have quite a few.</p>

<p>Since this is the modern film cameras board, I'd take the F100. The one I wouldn't want - the FM with the faulty shutter that blocks half the frame on a quarter of the images. I just know that the bits I'd lose would be the important ones. But, being honest, two rolls of 160 film to do a wedding? I don't that that would be enough, unless this is an outdoor daytime wedding with a dozen guests and they're doing the Prince Humperdink version of the ceremony. I'd pack my D800 and my X-E1 and a couple of lenses for each, a flash or two and my 285HV's with slave triggers and folding softboxes just in case and hope for the best.</p>

<p>My go-to camera and my special event camera are not the same. If I were shooting a wedding (which I have no experience doing) or some such similar once-in-a-lifetime gig, it would be on my 645 Pro TL. For no other reason than I want BIG negatives, and that's the biggest MFC body I have. Otherwise, if a flash is involved, then the 5D gets the nod.</p>

<p>My go-to camera is inevitably one of several; T90, 1V, RX, AX, 5D, 7NE...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>No. They can have a wedding without any pictures.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was a wedding musician for a lot of years. This would be my choice. No photographer, no music. No guests, no reception, no tux, no $5k bridal gown, no stress weeks before the event.</p>

<p>But then, I never married.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=323291">Dieter Schaefer</a> , Mar 15, 2013; 08:44 p.m.</p>

<p>Part 1: likely my wife's F100. Have a rather limited selection of film cameras left over - some of which I never shot "in earnest".<br />Part 2: that would have to be the Rolleiflex SL66 - wouldn't even know how to get the film in there.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're one of the few who answered part two, thank you! Yes the SL66 is a beast of a different color. Maybe like how some of the older Leica cameras worked where you had to take the bottom off to load the film? Dunno, never owned either.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I was a wedding musician for a lot of years. This would be my choice. No photographer, no music. No guests, no reception, no tux, no $5k bridal gown, no stress weeks before the event.<br /><br /><br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sometimes I see reports of the average amount spent on a wedding and wonder where people get the money from. Our wedding probably cost about a tenth of what would appear to be the average wedding photography budget.</p>

<p>I am also a musician (who sometimes plays weddings). My friends provided the music at our wedding for no fee and the studio owner who my father worked for did the photography - also for no fee.</p>

<p>Yes, I'm cheap!</p>