Your favourite B&W film+developer for landscape and why.

<p>FP4 in Rodinal. I tried FP4 in Rodinal many years ago (about 15) and didn't like the results. That was my fault - my technique was off. So I went over to Delta 100, but recently I've come back to FP4 in Rodinal, rating it typically at 50 ASA and devving in Rodinal 1/50, 20C, 8.5 minutes.<br>

I've come to have a great respect for FP4. It is very sharp and has a 'gutsy' tonality - punchy midtones, yet subtle highlights and luminous shadows.<br>

Rodinal has been my developer of choice for 25 years. It is uniquely robust and reliable - it has never let me down. It majors in sharpness and so complements FP4 perfectly. And incidentally, the Rodinal formulation is the world's oldest commercially available developer, currently in its 118th year of production. (Anyone got a bottle of the original? - bet it still works.)</p><div>00ThZN-145903684.jpg.86d8650928f095e1d08c86f2c6045450.jpg</div>

<p>D-23. Simple to mix, and effective for bringing out small details. Works well with a variety of negatives.</p>

<p>Used in 1+3 dilutions, 1L of D-23 stock is also economical. The 1+3 also yields convenient times for warmer temperature adjustments. It's one of those that made me think, "Why did someone try to improve upon this?"</p>

<p>My favourite film for landscape used to be Kodak technical pan -now discontinued but a replacement and a near copy of this film is available from silverprint ,like tech pan it has an ASA rating of 25 it is an extremely fine grained film and each roll is suplied with a bottle of developer -if only I can remember the name of it! but if you visit silverprints websit and look under the film section you will spot it no problem.<br>

Tech Pan was originaly formulated for scientific and medical work but landscapers soon hooked on to its fine grain and many said it gave medium format quality from a 35mm film - quite a contrasty film so technidol was the developer that worked best and I presume that the new films developer is also a copy of technidol,<br>

I was anoyed when kodak discontinued it and I have ordered some of the copy from silverprint who say its characteristics are virtualy the same. because of the slow film speed and small apetures req for landscape a tripod is a must! as you are almost certainly going to be into timed exposures.</p>

<p>Fuji Acros with Rodinal and Xtol combination with stand development. Expose for the highlights and develop with stand development for the shadow areas, and you'll get a lot of really fine detail with nuances you otherwise would net get, even with low contrast images like this one.</p><div>00ThjV-145995584.jpg.9f0424c67f7bd7c62d48ca102288cc88.jpg</div>

<p>Format can play a role. For landscapes 35mm tmax 100 is up there with the best because of it's low grain and superb sharpness. I just started shooting 4x5 and am using HP5+. Not my favorite in 35 but on big film I find that it being a true 400 speed film it gives me the extra shutter speed I need. Even on a bright day like today I was shooting at 1/15 and F22 with a deep yellow filter. The grain won't be a factor at the size I print.</p>

<p>When I was using medium format, Kodak Panatomic-X and Kodak HC-110. When I switched to 4X5 (20+ years ago), Kodak TRI-X and Kodak HC-110. Lately I have been experimenting with FP4+ and HC-110. I like the control and scale I can get from HC-110, very versatile. I find the FP4+ has finer grain in the sky and clouds (the tone is smooth, less mottling). </p>

<p>Paul</p>