Your Favorite Vacation Lens?

whoz_the_man_huh

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I'm about to go on vacation - to the Grand Canyon. I'm carrying my D200, my Lumix fz28 P&S. Lenses: Nikon 16-85 (on the camera most of the time), Nikon 50 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 macro, and Nikon 80-200 2.8. The 16-85 is the "walk around", the 50 I'll use for low light stuff, the Tamron macro for closeup stuff, and the 80-200 to get the long range stuff. So for me, it boils down to a walk around lens, a low light lens, a macro, and a telephoto. If I were going to a city, I'd probably just take the 16-85 and the 50. I could probably buy a lens that would combine some of these functions, but for now I take lenses that fulfill various purposes, and anyway, I'm not a fan of the "one lens fits all" school of thought. I won't CARRY all those lenses all the time, but I'll have them all with me.</p>

<p>The slowness of the 16-85 is a pain, yes. The bokeh - a minor pain. Truth be told, I've not used the lens on vacation yet, I haven't been on vacation sunce I bought it. But since I can't afford the 24-70, and I do like the zoom range for walk around, it kind of wins by default. It is a good lens and I'll probably have to carry a tripod, too. </p>

<p>If I only wanted one lens to walk around with while on vacation, it would be my 35 1.4 ai. Semi-wide and good in low light. If I could take a second lens it would be my 85 1.8. Probably my favorite focal length. </p>

<p>I'm going to DC in two weeks and I plan to bring a similar setup to Bart's except in place of the 17-55, I have the 17-35 2.8. For walking around, I'll probablly just take the 17-35 and 50 with me.</p>

<p>10.5, 12-24, (24-85 or 18-35), 50/1.8; (70-180, 80-200 or 80-400) - depending on where I am going. Might also take just the 10.5, 20/4, 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 and 180/3.4.<br>

Why? So I have what I need to shoot what I want.<br>

Have toyed with the idea of purchasing the 16-85 as a walk-around - ideal focal length range but I wish it was a constant f4 or a 3.5-4.5. Regret having sold the 18-70 (because of focal length overlap) as it might be a better range than the 24-85 when I am not taking the 12-24 along.<br>

Might at one point replace some lenses for the Tokina 11-16, the Nikon 17-55 and the 85/1.8.</p>

<p>Khoa, I lived and worked in DC for many years. If you can, try to walk around the area downtown where the Verizon Center arena and Chinatown are. That's central to a lot of different things - museums, slums, colorful Chinatown, the F Street shopping district. Lots of photo variety centered in that area.<br>

And if you have the time, check out the National Arboretum off New York Avenue (heading out of DC towards the Maryland suburbs). They have a tremendous variety of plants/flowers there if you're into that kind of shooting.</p>

<p>My single favorite is the 12-24mm f4.0 but I like a range of glass when on a trip. Depends on where I am going and for how long. I always take the 50mm f1.8 because it's so light and useful for low light. Just no reason to leave it behind and I love the focal length on my DX Nikon..</p>

<p>Well I had bought the 18-200VR to have for stuff like that. I've sold it. So now I have to rethink...<br>

That was going to be the lens I used for people visiting etc. No more....<br>

So - depending upon where I go & what I expect to be able to photograph....<br>

So for our trip up north when I hoped to get a chance to start trying some landscapes - so I brought the 24-70 f/2.8, 300mm AF-S f/4, Sigmonster, 50mm AF-D f/1.4, a macro (I think), Lensbaby with accessories, TC, filters. I regretted not bringing the 14-24 f/2.8. I should add we were driving.<br>

Family's coming in this summer & I'm presuming I'll carry the 24-70 f/2.8 most of the time & have the 70-300VR for surprises.... Lensbaby is always fun... but here at home I can change by the day due to home being starting location.<br>

I tend to adjust what I bring based upon where I'm going.<br>

Lil :)</p>

<p>Took the family to Disney and the beach in May. I took a carry-on with:<br>

D80, D40x<br>

Sigma 10-20<br>

Sigma 30 1.4<br>

Sigma 18-50 2.8<br>

Sigma 50-150 2.8<br>

Sigma 100-300 f4<br>

Nikon 60mm 2.8 AFS Micro<br>

Nikon SB600</p>

<p>Don't think I used the 10-20, 30 or the 60, maybe used the 50-150 for a few shots. Used the 100-300 for animals outside our room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and a few shots off the condo balcony at the beach. Used the 18-50 most of the time, and only took the D80/18-50/SB600 to disney the two days we did character meals to get good pics of the kids with Mickey, etc. Otherwise, we ended up taking my wife's Canon p&s to the parks. Vacation quickly became more about family time than a photography trip for me.</p>

<p>So I guess my favorite was the 18-50, although my favorite of the ones I have is the 50-150.</p>

<p>Ted, do you know if they allow flashes in the Smithsonian?</p>

<p>Calvin, I agree it's limited. I considered taking my dad's 28-70 2.8, but it's way too large. I may also bring the 35-70 2.8 for walking around. It used to be a favorite.</p>