Your Favorite Vacation Lens?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by whoz_the_man_huh, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Just a casual Friday question.
    What lens - or if you must, combination of lenses - comes with you on vacation and why?
    Thanks,
    Cal

2. My 17-55/2.8, 80-200/2.8AFS and 50/1.8D.And my raynox dcr-250 which makes my 50mm a nice macro lens.
    Why? Because that's all i have.......and need. It's a heavy combo but that's the price you pay for quality.

3. I'm about to go on vacation - to the Grand Canyon. I'm carrying my D200, my Lumix fz28 P&S. Lenses: Nikon 16-85 (on the camera most of the time), Nikon 50 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 macro, and Nikon 80-200 2.8. The 16-85 is the "walk around", the 50 I'll use for low light stuff, the Tamron macro for closeup stuff, and the 80-200 to get the long range stuff. So for me, it boils down to a walk around lens, a low light lens, a macro, and a telephoto. If I were going to a city, I'd probably just take the 16-85 and the 50. I could probably buy a lens that would combine some of these functions, but for now I take lenses that fulfill various purposes, and anyway, I'm not a fan of the "one lens fits all" school of thought. I won't CARRY all those lenses all the time, but I'll have them all with me.

4. Your vacation camera bag weighs only 30 pounds or so, Bart?

5. Ted, I walk around with the 16-85mm as well. Don't you find its slowness and anemic bokeh cramp your style?
    I just can't seem to decide on a replacement though, since "one lens fits all" just isn't realistic as you pointed out.

6. The slowness of the 16-85 is a pain, yes. The bokeh - a minor pain. Truth be told, I've not used the lens on vacation yet, I haven't been on vacation sunce I bought it. But since I can't afford the 24-70, and I do like the zoom range for walk around, it kind of wins by default. It is a good lens and I'll probably have to carry a tripod, too.

7. I'm going to buy a new bag tomorrow for safe transportation of my small fortune which weighs approx 2 kg at most, add 5 kg of glass and camera..... 15,4 pounds?

8. If I only wanted one lens to walk around with while on vacation, it would be my 35 1.4 ai. Semi-wide and good in low light. If I could take a second lens it would be my 85 1.8. Probably my favorite focal length.

9. I'm going to DC in two weeks and I plan to bring a similar setup to Bart's except in place of the 17-55, I have the 17-35 2.8. For walking around, I'll probablly just take the 17-35 and 50 with me.

10. 10.5, 12-24, (24-85 or 18-35), 50/1.8; (70-180, 80-200 or 80-400) - depending on where I am going. Might also take just the 10.5, 20/4, 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 and 180/3.4.
    Why? So I have what I need to shoot what I want.
    Have toyed with the idea of purchasing the 16-85 as a walk-around - ideal focal length range but I wish it was a constant f4 or a 3.5-4.5. Regret having sold the 18-70 (because of focal length overlap) as it might be a better range than the 24-85 when I am not taking the 12-24 along.
    Might at one point replace some lenses for the Tokina 11-16, the Nikon 17-55 and the 85/1.8.

11. Yep, you definitely can't argue with that zoom range, Ted.

12. I expected someone to mention the legendary manual focus 35mm F1.4, Wayne. Its weight is perfect for vacations.

13. Khoa, I lived and worked in DC for many years. If you can, try to walk around the area downtown where the Verizon Center arena and Chinatown are. That's central to a lot of different things - museums, slums, colorful Chinatown, the F Street shopping district. Lots of photo variety centered in that area.
    And if you have the time, check out the National Arboretum off New York Avenue (heading out of DC towards the Maryland suburbs). They have a tremendous variety of plants/flowers there if you're into that kind of shooting.

14. My favorite vacation lens is my Nikon 17-55mm f2.8. It's also my favorite lens, period. An absolute gem.

15. My single favorite is the 12-24mm f4.0 but I like a range of glass when on a trip. Depends on where I am going and for how long. I always take the 50mm f1.8 because it's so light and useful for low light. Just no reason to leave it behind and I love the focal length on my DX Nikon..

16. Well I had bought the 18-200VR to have for stuff like that. I've sold it. So now I have to rethink...
    That was going to be the lens I used for people visiting etc. No more....
    So - depending upon where I go & what I expect to be able to photograph....
    So for our trip up north when I hoped to get a chance to start trying some landscapes - so I brought the 24-70 f/2.8, 300mm AF-S f/4, Sigmonster, 50mm AF-D f/1.4, a macro (I think), Lensbaby with accessories, TC, filters. I regretted not bringing the 14-24 f/2.8. I should add we were driving.
    Family's coming in this summer & I'm presuming I'll carry the 24-70 f/2.8 most of the time & have the 70-300VR for surprises.... Lensbaby is always fun... but here at home I can change by the day due to home being starting location.
    I tend to adjust what I bring based upon where I'm going.
    Lil :)

17. Khoa, I'm considering your 17-35mm F2.8 but its long end just seems too limited for walking around.

18. So you pack the whole arsenal in your vacation luggage, Dieter. Fair enough.

19. Good D.C. tips, Ted.

20. Took the family to Disney and the beach in May. I took a carry-on with:
    D80, D40x
    Sigma 10-20
    Sigma 30 1.4
    Sigma 18-50 2.8
    Sigma 50-150 2.8
    Sigma 100-300 f4
    Nikon 60mm 2.8 AFS Micro
    Nikon SB600
    Don't think I used the 10-20, 30 or the 60, maybe used the 50-150 for a few shots. Used the 100-300 for animals outside our room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and a few shots off the condo balcony at the beach. Used the 18-50 most of the time, and only took the D80/18-50/SB600 to disney the two days we did character meals to get good pics of the kids with Mickey, etc. Otherwise, we ended up taking my wife's Canon p&s to the parks. Vacation quickly became more about family time than a photography trip for me.
    So I guess my favorite was the 18-50, although my favorite of the ones I have is the 50-150.

21. Tamron 17-50/2.8, Nikkor 85/1.4 on a D200. I don't like too many tight shots, so the 85 on an APS-C is enough reach for me. I need to get something wider than 17mm though.

22. Vacation? 16-85VR + 70-300vr (am thinking about selling the 70-300 for a 55-200vr) or 55mm 2.8 AIS Micro Nikkor.
    Alvin

23. How could you not bring the 14-24mm on a landscape trip, Lil?

24. Ted, do you know if they allow flashes in the Smithsonian?
    Calvin, I agree it's limited. I considered taking my dad's 28-70 2.8, but it's way too large. I may also bring the 35-70 2.8 for walking around. It used to be a favorite.

25. 28-75 2.8, 15-30, 70-200 2.8 VR, 50 1.4, 35 2.8 pc, 105 2.8 VR.

26. Well, right now in England, I have a D300 with 12-24, 17-35, 50, and 80-200. Way more than I usually carry and way more than I should have brought. Could have easily done with the 12-24 and the 50. Or just with the Lumix LX-3 I also brought. But I've gone the P&S route only and usually end up missing the SLR. So, recommend the 12-24 and 50 for DX format. And the LX-3!

27. My vacation equipment last year: D200, 2x SB-800 with Su-800, 10.5 fisheye, 10-20 Sigma, 30/1.4 Sigma, 50/1.4 AF-D-Nikkor, 85/1.4 AF-D, a lightstand, umbrella, heavy tripod, several goodies (remote-control, lots of filters...), a Coolpix 8400 and a Ricoh GX100. I've never touched the D200 and shot everything with the Coolpix 8400 and the Ricoh and both of them most of the time at their widest zoom-setting (24mm FX-equivalent).
    This year the D700 with some fast primes (50/1.2, 28/2, 85/1.4 or 105/2.5) will be just the junior partner of my new darling, a Rolleiflex SL66 with (so far :) 80/2.8 Planar and 50/4 Distagon. Maybe I will add a Leica M or Hexar AF or a Minox ML.
    Over the years I've used a lot of stuff on vacation - a wideangle of 24-28mm (35mm-equivalent) was everytime with me and is probably my favorite vacation lens-type.
    georg

28. Khoa - I work full time in an art museum, and we just recently changed our rules about flashes - now we DO allow them, and I suspect most other museums do, too. The original reasons for banning flash began when there were flashBULBS and it was thought that the cumulative affect of all those flashbulbs would eventually degrade the museum pieces (especially the art). Now, of course, we have electronic flash so that is the reason most museums will now allow flash photography. But if you need to know for sure, you'll probably have to check their website, and remember that the Smithsonian is a collection of about a dozen different buildings and it's possible that the policy may not be consistent from one to the other (government run, remember?).

29. I see another whole arsenal guy in Travis.

30. I'm retired so I'm on permanent vacation. My kit includes: D90, 16-85VR, 70-300VR, 1.4tc, 50 f/1.8. It all fits convieniently in a small bag. That covers a focal range of 16-420mm and aperture to f/1.8, which gets most situations for me.

31. I bought my 18-200 3 years ago specifically for my Alaska trip that year. I also brought along a 50mm f1.8, but shot 100% of the images I actually enjoy with the 18-200. It's an AWESOME vacation lens for a serious amateur.
    Today I think I'd buy the 16-85 and the 70-300, and two bodies if I could swing it, so I don't have to switch lenses.
    Also, I wouldn't travel without my 55mm micro, but I didn't have it then.
    That said, I tend to be one of those dorks that has to travel with every lens he owns. But if I had to shoot everything with the 18-200, I could get away with it for sure.

32. Yep, Calvin, I leave the kitchen sink at home though...
    DX made things a bit more complicated for me - to do what the F5 with 24-85 could do, I now have to carry two lenses. I haven't tried the 18-35 as a walk-around yet - afraid it might be too short on the long end. On the other hand, I used to shoot with a 24-50 on film - so I might be OK.

33. Calvin - I was using the D700 so for some dumb idea I figured a true 24mm would be wide enough.... ;-) I was wrong.....

34. Walked all over London last year on vacation carrying D300, 16-85 VR (used for 90% of the shots I took during 10 day trip), Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF-D, and Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 DX. The 16-85 is the ideal zoom lens, that I missed terribly when I went from the D300 to the D700.

35. Since I bought my 35mm 1.8 I haven't used much else.

36. Lil - what kind of landscape were you shooting with the Sigmonster? ;-)

37. I would like to have a pro grade 28-105 mm AF-S zoom but Nikon isn't making it ;-)
    Failing that, I tend to pick based on where I travel. If it's a city with interesting buildings, then a PC lens comes along. I tend to need something wide, but DX has taught me not to use wide so... now it would be the 20/3.5 which I actually did use on my last trip to Sweden (although that doesn't feel like a "real trip").
    I tend to need something fast, the current favorite is the 35/1.4. I tend to need something long too, which has frequently been the 75-150/3.5, which, despite its rock bottom price amd low-end appearance, can really deliver when used right. If however I need to go further in quality especially at larger apertures, I'm leaning towards the 85/1.8. Of course Nikon might want bother in making a 70-200/4 for this need, but haven't seen it...
    I have a rule of a maximum of 3 or 4 lenses on a trip (and not large lenses). Also, I leave the macro stuff at home, since I don't really have chances for macros anyway on trips.

38. Unlike Dieter you did bring the kitchen sink, Georg. Honestly, a light stand, tripod and umbrella on vacation?

39. The 18-200 is tough to beat for a one lens vacation solution. The 16-85 would probably be a little sharper but you loose the range.

40. Some of these responses are jokes, I hope. It's vacation folks. For me, it's the D40 and the 18-200. I don't have an ego or a fetish to protect by carrying anything more. I have a lot of nice glass, but photos at Disney or on the Caribbean cruise don't need corner sharpness or 400mm length. Have fun on vacation and remember that if you carry everything, you won't get much of anything and have a sore back too!

41. Dieter - I was supposed to go to B.C. & go shooting Bald Eagles etc in Canada. But due to bad weather I just told my husband it's no use to drive to British Columbia only to get rain & more rain..... How about we drive back home the long coastal route so I can finally see the coastline from Washington state back down to California. He said OK lets do that. So that's what we did - we drove from Port Angeles, WA, back to LA instead. I saw about 20 BEs (Bald Eagles) but they were all either too far away or just in such a location that there was no way for me to get closer to them. I was rather upset but accepted my lot in life on the issue. :-( Next time I'm make him drive to the locations his family offered as BE locations. He was just a pill about driving to them.
    So I was hoping to do some birding..... Didn't get to.
    Toby - if I go on vacation I want to do some nice photograph while I'm at it. I'm not joking. When I travel from now on there will be good lenses along. When family comes for a visit I refuse doing anything but the type of photography I feel like doing.

42. The most versatile one lens DX travel option is the 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor. I will take these Nikkors with me: AFS 24-70 f/2.8 (for walk around), AFD 80-200 f/2.8 (for tele work), AF 85 f/1.8 (for low light situations) and micro AFD 60 f/2.8 (for close-ups) on D700 body.

43. 18-200 VR and Sigma 30 1.4 covers most of my bases for travel. If it's landscapes primarily, the Tokina 11-16 would replace the Sigma 30.

44. I see, Lil.
    I guess 24mm on your camera is 16mm on mine. Which is, yeah, not ideally wide.

45. Calvin, our cabin just called for some tasty and well-lit family portraits - too bad I've didn't managed to shoot at least a self-portrait...
    georg
    00Thlh-146011784.jpg

46. 24-105 L F.4 my number 1 :)

47. Some of these responses are jokes, I hope. [...]but photos at Disney or on the Caribbean cruise don't need corner sharpness or 400mm length​
    You are right Toby, they don't. However, if you like to photograph wildlife and happen to vacation in places like Yellowstone, 400mm focal length is actually quite handy. Or if you happen to like shooting landscape and get to good places during your vacation, corner sharpness well might be an issue too. Ditto with cityscape or inside of palaces or cathedrals.
    Thanks Lil. Tried to drive down the coast a few times myself - always had fog along the Oregon coast.
    I am with you re: your response to Toby. Why spend extra money on a lens with compromises if one already has the good ones at home? I don't travel often enough to justify the cost of a 16-85 or 18-200, and they wouldn't get used while at home. I don't often need the f/2.8 - that's why I don't own the 17-55 - especially regarding its hefty price tag. Provided I can stop down to at least f/5.6, the 18-35 will get the job done too.

48. Vacation vacation I'll bring my D300, 12-24 and 50mm f/1.8, my Agfa Isolette and I'll pack my Mamiya RB67, but that will probably only see a few frames of use. I bet the wide angle will stay on for the majority of the trip.
    I'm camping at Berg Bay near Wrangell, Alaska this weekend and I'll be bringing my D300, 12-24, 50, 80-200, Agfa Isolette, Mamiya RB67 + 90mm, tripod and stack of film in addition to all of my hiking, camping and mountaineering gear. I'll be making camp at a cabin at the start of my hike, so most of the gear that I bring will live there while I'm actually in the bush. It's grizzly country and the salmon are running so I'll have the tripod over one shoulder and my 12-gauge over the other!

49. Dave, have you tried the 24-70mm as a high end replacement for the 16-85mm? I think the former is what many call "the ideal zoom lens".

50. 18-105 VR.

51. George S - a Rolleiflex SL66 - now that's a blast from the past. I have a SL66 and a SL66E with the 50/80/150/250 lenses - they aren't exactly something I would take along for a vacation though.

52. Dieter - we had the worst of luck with the weather. We saw most of the coastline in completely gray skies. Rain as well. :-( But I did get to see it. :) And it is beautiful. :)
    I had the 18-200VR - but I never used it. I sold it with my D200 to my husband's assistant on "Criminal Minds" this last spring. The way I'm looking at it, I'm getting the best lenses I can afford while I can. Once my husband retires - I will pretty much have to live with what I've got. So, right now I can get the good ones. I'm spending the money on the lenses I know I love & will continue to love. Those I will use. Those I don't use end up on a sale site sooner or later. I am constantly going through what I have to see what I'm not using & don't see myself using. Those go sooner or later.... Just for vacation - it's not worth it to me.
    I'm starting to work on my husband about trying to get a vacation to Florida. My father-in-law lives in Pompano Beach. I'm hinting that we've not seen him for years & that we need to check up on him. I'm also hinting that my husband could hang out & I could go shooting - - especially since I got a thumps up for my photography. Andrea wants to visit Disney World - so it would work just fine. We'd all have something to do.
    If I fly with family to Florida - sure I want family photos, but since neither of them really like being photographed I'd spend more time photographing the scenery & whatever birds I could find. Based on that, I'd want my best equipment. There will be little space for "travel" lenses.

53. Toby, I agree but the D40 might be a bit too casual. It gives you only six-megapixel vacation pics.

54. 18-200 vr ......... perfect walk around lens, and Ive had great results. Its the lens I keep on my D300 at all times in a small "ready to go" lowepro case. Can't beat the versatility. Otherwise my sigma 300 2.8 is simply stunning 100% of the time....but holy god, a little to big for the casual vacation!

55. Thanks for the look at your cabin, Georg.

56. Vacations mean different things to different people. When I go to Europe, I take my 18-70 DX and a prime lens, like a 50mm f 1.8 or a 20mm f 2.8. That's it. When I go to Yellowstone or the Grand Teton's I take as much as I can fit into the car or plane up to and including a 500mm. Joe Smith

57. A nature related vacation with 1.6 crop camera:
    17-40 + 70-200 2.8L covers most of the range I am interested in, uses same 77mm polarizing filter
    24 2.8 use with ND for waterfall photos
    50 macro use for close focusing
    10-22 my sons lens, his favorite, occasionally trade of the use of the wide angle lenses

58. Right on, Joseph -- the thread title implies a vacation get away, not a chance to shoot wildlife at Yellowstone. If the thread title of vacation means: you'll ever be on a trip anywhere you could shoot anything, by all means, bring the 400 2.8, but on a normal family vacation give me the 18-200 and the weightless D40 (six mp is big enough for me for vacation snaps.)

59. If I can only take one with my 40D--and I often limit myself to that--it's got to be the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS. That range, and speed, cover a lot of bases.

60. So why does "vacation" NOT include a trip to Yellowstone? To me, the OP does not restrict vacation to mean a time period away from home taking family snap shots. When I am "on vacation", photography is a major part of what I do to relax - and it does NOT include the typical posed vacation snaps of wife/kid in front of....

61. I will say that my choice now is different since I bought a D700. I would probably go for a
    Sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM, Because I can't afford the Nikon-- Nikon would be my first choice. Maybe the 17-35mm Big lenses for a vacation but if I'm going some place like Hawaii I want quality.
    It would be nice if Nikon would get off their A** and build a 70-200 f4 comparible to the Canon version. Still to this day the only lens I miss from my Canon days. Sharp wide open and much lighter than the 2.8 version.

62. For vacations, D70s with and 18-70 always. 55-200VR usually. 12-24 sometimes. And a P&S for backup, or when taking the D70s is too much trouble. Tripod hardly ever. I don't like taking unnecessary weight.

63. I'm taking my first official vacation that doesn't include the housing, and surfboards. Going to Amsterdam then onto Paris. It was suggested to outfit my D300 with the Tokina 11-16, the Nikon 18-200 VR, in a Kata DT213 bag. I've been taking walks with this kit and with both lenses in the bag it's bearable, with one it seems just right. Glad I'm just a hack.

64. Osman, that L lens fits on my Nikon body, right?

65. I'm curious. Most suggestions point to lenses of focal length under 20mm; on 35mm-format bodies. Unless such shots give pirnts of something like 16X24, won't distant details become too small to be worth the try? Now, how many of vacation images turn into poster-size prints?

66. Depends ENTIRELY on the trip. If it's a photo intensive trip such as to the Arctic:
    D300, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Nikons 17-55mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 VR, 80-400mm VR, Canon 500D macro, polarizer, 2-stop soft edge & hard edge ND grads. Plus 10 Nikon SB-28 flash and CyberSync triggers.
    If to a major city such as Chicago: D300, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Nikon 17-55mm f2.8, Nikon 28mm PC (shift,) Sigma 30mm f1.4, x2 Nikon SB-800 flash.
    If a family vacation to Disney etc: Nikon D80, Nikons 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR, Canon 500D macro, polarizer, SB-800 flash.
    Completely depends on where I'm going and focus of trip. My goal is light, compact, versatile, capable.
    Kent in SD

67. 35l/16-35ii + 85ii.

68. I like to take as little as possible. I personally dont like carrying a bag full of camera gear when im out and about. I have been using my Nikon 18-200 VR and I have been satisfied with the results. It's a great walk around vacation lense in my opinion and keeps me from having to be swapping lenses all the time. I guess it all depends on exactly what your planning to shoot and what you want to achieve. It's probably not a bad idea to keep a backup lens in any case though.

69. Me too likes to take as little as possible.
    It allways results in at least 10Kg / 22 Pounds or more of "glass".
    And I never regretted it ;-)

70. Just for the record, my idea of vacation is to travel somewhere, but not primarily as a photo trip (if I'm spending vacation time at or near home, I bring out the heavy gear, which means my best lenses, my Hasselblad, possibly lights...). Travel then in practice always involves some major cities that do have sights. I restrict my gear since carrying the stuff everywhere for a couple of weeks with a lot of walking isn't that easy.

71. Just 18-200 mm VR, nothing else.

72. When I was shooting film with Canon I had a 28mm, 50mm and 70-200mm f/4. That worked well.
    I generally like to take 3 lenses; wide prime or zoom, mid prime or zoom and a 70-200 with tc. I really liked the canon 70-200 f/4 lens. Too bad nikon doesn't make a comparable lens. The 70-200 f/2.8 nikkor is great but too heavy to carry all day.
    I've been tempted to switch to canon for the wider selection of lenses but too heavily invested in nikon lenses.

73. Vacation lens? The real first question is what kind of vacation is being taken. If the vacation is for the purpose of, or a major purpose is photography, then one gets out his or her biggest camera bag and packs everything that will imaginably be useful and can be crammed in there. That is a personal choice. I suppose this can vary, but the essence of the choice here is what is the photographic purpose.
    For a vacation where time with family, socializing and other activities will predominate, then taking one's entire kit will get in the way and be wasted effort. The weight of my pro lenses is too much to carry around all day just for the heck of it. Calling my 24-70 2.8 mounted on a pro body a walk around package is a misnomer from where I stand. That old kit lens, the 18-70mm Dx, the one which made the D70 such an attractive package compared to Canons of the day, is indeed a real walk around lens; it's dirt cheap on the used market, compact, light weight, and optically very good. Maybe one adds a small prime or small tele if it will fit in the bag. I have taken a table top tripod, but rarely used it. But, at this point we are departing from socializing and entering the realm of photography becoming the priority. Ask your spouse about that!
    Finally, for that impromptu shot of opportunity, I have a point and shoot Canon Elph, image stablized which helps in poor light, that sits on my belt. The very best camera possible for an image is the one that you have with you, not the bulky, heavy techno wonder if it was left back home on the shelf.

74. I'll usually throw everything I've got into the case when we get away. That would cover focal lengths from 15mm up to 300mm in a combination of zooms and primes as well as TCs and even a fisheye. Tripods and flashes go as well. I use a Pelican case on wheels that resembles a large clothing suitcase to house it all. It weighs a ton!
    My vacation "studio" is typically in a natural, rural setting and the purpose for being there is to get the best photos I can. Security is not an issue. I wouldn't call our vacations photo safaris but my wife thinks differently. Fortunately she supports me and my habit and is always there to lend a hand. Most photos taken are in daylight and the subjects range from birds to mountains so I like to think I'm prepared for whatever.
    For those who like to visit cities or amusement parks where security becomes an issue, I could see where a limited lens selection would make sense.

75. Apostolos, if I take a thousand vacation shots, maybe one of those might be good enough to become a large print.

76. Ok, it's not a Nikon but, Sony/Zeiss 16-80 walk around and 80% of shots, light weight. Sony 28 2.8 night time city/landscapes. Sony 70-200G distance, low light, heavy but beautiful. For special occasions I've taken a 35 1.4 or 50 2.8macro. You will need good coated lenses. Moving from indoor to outdoor, sun to shade, night to day will require lenses with good light control.

77. 18-105mm VR and 85mm AFD (f/1.8). If I need more than this, it stops being a vacation.

78. Reading respones here once again reminds me how much Nikon needs a pair of pro level f4 zooms, preferably with VR. Instead, they pump out 18-xxx consumer zooms, f5.6.
    Kent in SD

79. I agree Kent, it is very frustrating that they don't build a comparable 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 VR, 70-200 f4 VR. Heck I would be happy even without VR.

80. Depends on the trip. Usually F6 with 85mm (f1.8), Canon G10.

81. Calvin, I'm sure it won't be necessary to go up to thousands of vacation shots to find one deserving large printing. I didn't mean that, please accept apologies.

What I meant to say is that an image from a 35mm-format camera is unlikely to blow nearly 250X in order to show the small details of a far distant landscape captured with a 10mm focal length lens AND STILL be sharp enough and tonality-rich enough so as to keep its original appeal.
    When I go on vacation, I take one body and one lens only--a mechanical R6.2 and the 28-90mm/2.8-4.5 aspherical. That means film images: limited number of shots and the cost of processing. But I gain a lot in mobility and quality of images, some of which I can blow up to 16X24 prints. And I never have to worry about discharged batteries, electronics failure and the like.
    OK, in case of an unavoidable digital 35mm outfit, my suggestion is find one zoom lens only, no wider than 24mm and no longer than around 120mm, but definitely at least f/2.8 fast and absolutely aspherical. Mobility and readiness is of more value than wider choice in focal lengths.

82. Note: you do not sacrifice corner sharpnes by using the Nikon 18-200. You lose speed at 200mm. It is not like this lens is not sharp. And on vacation, it will help you get the shots that you would miss while changing lenses,

83. My idea of vacation is not a photo session and I like to be mobile so I don't want to have to charge anything or upload anything and I really don't want to caryy much. So it's one body with a 35/2 Ai and film.

84. I'd take a 17-40mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/4. I think I'd have a very small chance of using 70-200, but it's light enough so I don't mind carrying it, just in case I need it. I think I'd be happy with just one Tamron 28-75mm but I don't have that.

85. Took all my lenses with me on vaccation but they stayed in the box. Throughout I uses 18-200 VR. Not wide enough for Smokies but then I did not have anything better than its 18mm. I am happy with results and ii was no heavy on m D200.

86. I am on my way to Paris next week and bringing a D300, 50 1.8, 18-300 2.8 VR, Tokina 11-17 2.8, and a Tamron 17-50 2.8. I think it is too much to carry but I can't bring myself to leave one behind.

87. i'm a Canon user and the 24-70mm does just about everything I need...it ain't cheap but I love it...

88. Photo trip? I'll carry my whole gear.
    Vacation? One body with attached 18-200 or 17-55, or just simply a point-and-shoot.
    Vacation is relaxing and fun, but relaxing and fun don't always come with a photo trip. You do lots of work in a photo trip: getting up early, getting a spot at no man's land. You know, all those things that a tourist won't do. A photo trip is satisfying and rewarding, but it's no vacation to me.

89. Depends on the vacation. A once in a life time (or nearly so) walk in Iceland through volcanoes and glaciers, I packed my 15mm VC, 35mm, and 90/2.8 and M6. For a vacation with my family, I add a canon Digital elph and, lately, an underwater case. Just a short trip/visit, I like the discipline (and liberation) of just one lens, one body. Lately it's been the new (used) 50mm/2. Otherwise it's the 35mm/2 Asph.
    00TiN6-146397684.jpg

90. ...the UW case is very fun with kids and the pool.
    00TiNP-146399684.jpg

91. 17-40/4L for landscapes
    70-200/4L for streets and few nature shots
    50/1.8 for portraits.

92. Thanks for your insight, David.
    I pretty much couldn't agree more, especially regarding how vacations can involve juggling priorities.

93. I travel with every lens Nikon has ever made, two F6 and four D3x bodies. The cost for an entire airline cargo container gets old so I'm rethinking my gear and may cut down to taking only the current production set of Nikon lenses.

94. you do not sacrifice corner sharpnes by using the Nikon 18-200. You lose speed at 200mm. It is not like this lens is not sharp.​
    Take a look here: http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/242-nikkor-af-s-18-200mm-f35-56-g-if-ed-vr-ii-dx-review--test-report?start=1
    Especially the 100 mm figure is pretty far from what I expect. And this is looking only at a single resolution figure. Better to get a shorter range zoom and/or cover a critical focal length with a good lens. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead with a 18-200, but I know lots of people like it.

95. Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 the walk around lens
    Sigma 105/2.8 Macro
    and (just new Tokina) 12-24/4.0
    filters,uv,pl and a +2 magnifier
    a one leg tripod
    It has all to fit on my belt, including sigars, otherwise I leave it at home.

96. Nikon kit lense 18-70. Can be a bit short on the tele side, but lightweight and very good picture quality.

97. 18-105 VR. I don't need a fast lens. I need a versatile, sharp lens with good Bokeh.

98. 17-35mm D700 for this shot in Florida. Drove here so brought everything up to the Mamiya 645 AFD w/ Phase One.

99. here is the shot...

100. With my Nikon D200 I bring a 28mm, 50mm and a 105mm.

101. No apologies necessary, Apostolos. I misunderstood you.
    Thanks for the enjoyable exposition.

102. The lens I use the most while on the move, and leave the others in the hotel room, is my 50/1.8 Canon. It turns into and 80mm on the small sensor. 80mm gives you nice intimate shots, combine that with the quickness, you end up having fun!
    I recently picked up a 28/2.8. For some reason I doubt it will get as much time on the body as the 50.

103. Tom, you might want to add the D3 for nine frames per second.

104. It depends mostly on what I hope to be shooting, say if I was going to shoot wildlife then of course I would bring my canon 70-200 2.8 with a X 2 extender (canon Mk II) to supplement my 1Ds
    Or if I was going to be shooting reportage (Street) I would use my trusty 15-30 Sigma, my canon 50mm mk1 and maybe the 100mm f2.8 macro again with my 1Ds
    I almost never use my 24-105 L in IMHO it has been hyped out of proportion and there is little difference between that & the 28-135mm F/35-5.6 IS usm except the former is more than three times more expensive! I much prefer using the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro but here I would use it on the 40D it is a really good lens and a great walk about if I could use it on my 1Ds without the vignette I'd be really happy still it makes for surreal portraits on a full frame (give it a try.)
    I have Canon 1DMk II and to be honest do not need the speed its wasted what is important is glass if you have the money and like quality go for the 5D MkII for lenses go for Canon f2.8 24-70 L & the f2.8 70-200 L I am sure that these two with the 5D MkII will sort you out.
    00Tiog-146689684.jpg

105. The 18-200 VR is the only lens I take on vacation. It gives me a full range in one fairly light unit and for vacation that compensates for the the tiny amount of softness or distortion people complain about here.

106. bmm

bmm

18-200VR for anytime it risks getting messy (ie anytime I'm outside of a city basically)
    35/2 and 85/1.4 as a compact 2-prime setup for city roaming. One mounted and one loose in my travelling satchel. I love this combo.

107. Well, my most favorite vacation landscape lens was the 12-24mm Nikon. But that was was when I had my D80. The lens still worked on the D700 but in DX crop mode and with 1.6Meg pixels. Now that I have the D700 I want to purchase the 14-24mm f2.8 Nikon. I gave the D80 and 12-24mm to my brother. My next business trip/vacation is coming up in August. So, hopefully I will have the 14-24mm Nikon lens in my backpack before I leave. The other two lens I always take are the Nikon 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 and the Nikon 50mm f1.4D. At some point I want to up grade the 80-400mm lens to the Nikon 200-400mm and then pickup the 24-70mm f2.8.

108. I've heard too many bad things about the 18-200mm as well, Oskar.
    When starting out I chose the 16-85mm over it because of this as well as a suspicion that there's a reason why Nikon priced the two similarly despite the massive zoom range difference.

109. Family Vaction?
    18-105VR and 35/1.8DX. And light body D60 or D40X.

110. My most favorite vacation lens is the 24-70mm Nikon. it is serving to many a need. My bag is light.

111. My most favorite vacation lens is the 24-70mm f2,8 Nikon. It is serving to many a need. My bag is light.

112. A D70s with an AF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 G and an SB-600. Was looking for a low expenditure that has a good focal range, and the flash makes up for the aperture. (D40/60 are just too small in my hand.)

113. Nice shot and nice collection of L glass, Hugh.

114. weekend trip or slightly longer: 16-85mm VR only
    three weeks or longer: for DX(D200) 16-85 mm VR and 70-200 mm VR with 14E extender, this is a little weak on the wideangel side. I do have a Tokina 12-24 mm zoom but the overlap with the 16-85 is considerable.
    When and if I return to FX it will pretty much be what I used on film: 16mm f2,8 fisheye, 17-35mm f2,8, 70-200mm VR with 1,4 TC , 85mm f1,4. For going light the old 20mm f4,0 lens with the 85 mm if quality holds up on FX (film and DX is excellent). No midrange lens.

115. 18-200 VR along with the 50mm 1.4 is what I bring. Need to find something for macro...

116. Calvin said: "I see another whole arsenal guy in Travis."
    You are pretty much right, I took everything I had except the Sigma 300 f4 prime (duplicated by the 100-300). I had high hopes for photography on this vacation, but quickly found that would not be a focus for me. I ended up being focused on having fun with the kids. I didn't take all my lenses everywhere, I just had to carry everything from the car to the airport, airport to the car, car to the hotel room, etc.
    If I had to do it over again, I would probably just take the 18-50 and 50-150, and the sb600. Live and learn, right?

117. Since my husband doesn't slow down much and we tend to be in big cities I've pared my essentials down to my D80, 18-35 and 28-105. I usually just use the 18-35 tho. The 28-105 is insurance in case anything happens to the 18-35.
    I stopped bringing the 70-300, 80-200 2.8, SB600 and tripod...
    I really am thinking about the 16-85 but have trouble justifying it even to myself right now.

118. D60 with 35F1.8, 18-55VR and the new Tamron 60F2.0 macro, will be my vacation system within the current DX range.The star of course, is the 35F1.8 DX, a magnificent lens for the price!
    I know from personal experience that system weight/complexity is inversely proportional to aesthetic creativity while on vacation--at least for me!

119. 18-105, although I also keep 18-55 VR and 50/1.8 for indoors/low light. I wish Nikon would make a pancake lens like the
    MicroFourThirds 17mm (34mmEFL)! As good as the 35/1.8DX (52.5mmEFL) is, its angle of view still too narrow for
    indoor/scenery (which is what vacations are mostly about).

120. My lightweight/travel kit consists of:
    D50/Sigma 10-20/Tamron 17-50 2.8/Sigma 30 1.4/55-200VR/SC-28/SB-400. Everything fits snugly in a Lowepro MicroTrekker 100AW.
    If I decided to go with my FX walkaround kit, I'd take the Tamron 17-35/Sigma 50 1.4/28-105/70-300/SC-28/SB-400 - all of which fits perfectly in a Crumpler Six Million Dollar Home.

121. Well, the problem is that a vacation for me is prime time for photography. I can't compromise on lenses if I am paying to get somewhere to shoot all day.
    On my upcoming trip to New York City starting on Tuesday I am packing the 24mm PC-E, the 60mm AF-S Micro, the 105/2D DC and finally the 180/2.8D. That's as much as I'm willing to carry in my backpack along with water and spare clothes due to the heat.

122. Ilkka, same here. But sometimes I can't help thinking of getting the second light DX body and 18-200 for even lighter/shorter trip. Haven't got there yet, though.
    I am sure you have prepped pretty much everything and maybe have abundant help at hand, but having lived in NYC for 15 years, I cannot help offering - if you need any help at all to make your trip more fruitful, please do not hesitate to let me know. Ken

123. The trouble with f/4 zooms, as far as I'm concerned, is that to give a nice image a lens typically has to be stopped down 1 stop or so. I don't want to do that and end up with f/5.6. f/5.6 is not something I can work with if I'm photographing people.

124. I like to travel as light as possible. For me, that means one of my Nikon DSLRs (D80, D1x, D2x), with the lightweight 18-55 II and a 50/1.8. an SB flash to fit the body, and a polarizer & GND. I usually pack at least a table tripod. For a back-up, one of my Fuji, Nikon or Canon P&S.
    When I use film, nowadays I take my FM-2n (no motor) with a 35-70, 50/1.8, a small flash, and an Olympus Stylus Epic (MJU-II) for back-up.
    I have sinned, and gone on vacations with just a P&S, and curiously, fared quite well. My favorites are the Fuji F30 & F100fd. The G10 is a little on the big side, but a great P&S. With film, the OM XA and Stylus Epic have produced an embarrasingly large number of keepers for me.

125. I have these lenses all Nikon: 12-24 f/4, 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 VR, 35 f/1.8 DX, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.4, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 VR, 75-150 f/3.5 AIS series E (bought for $50 excellent condition).
    I have 2 setups - heavy & a lighter - mostly use the lighter one.
    Heavy: Lowepro flipside 300 - D300, 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 VR, also squeeze in 12-24 f/4.
    Light: Tamrac 5534 shoulder bag - D300, 12-24 f/4, 35 f/1.8 DX, 85 f/1.4 and 75-150 f/3.5 Series E
    Thinking of replacing the 75-150 f/3.5 with 55-200 VR for a bigger range and AF - but otherwise satisfied with the second setup.