Your favorite national park in the Southwest

smarksphotography

<p>Hi,<br>

I'd like to go take a short trip to photograph Southwest Landscapes and was hoping to get some comments that would help me decide where to go.<br>

Almost on a whim, I was thinking of going to Monument Valley in Utah after helping my daughter on a research project and stumbling on some pictures of the place. But then I decided maybe I should give this a little more thought as it is not often I'll be able take such a trip. Since I am not really familiar with the Southwest, I am not sure how to go about coming up with possible destinations. (Googling around only took me so far). I figured maybe a decision here would help and hopefully the thread might become be useful for future travelers too.<br>

Here's some of my criteria:<br>

Basically, I think my criteria for what I am looking for is fairly flexible. Maybe Southwest natural wonders sums it up. I want to photograph (and just see) some spectacular bits of nature. I am not limiting myself to rock formations, but I think that's a large draw. Interesting flora and fauna are always interesting. I am thinking of smaller scale things rather than huge ones. <br>

The more mundane criteria for the trip: time and budget are better defined.<br>

I am only planning 3 or 4 days for the trip and keeping the costs down are important. More concretely, I think could visit Monument Valley (including airfare) for less than $1500. So, that's my working budget for this excursion. So if you don't mind suggesting others places I should consider (and perhaps some specific tips that would make the trip more successful), I'd really appreciate it.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

I went to az a few years ago, here were my choices after extensive research.

Sedona, Grand canyon south rim, Page (Glen canyon dam, Antelope canyon, lake Powell). Only negative was our boat trip

on lake powell, unexpectedly very rough.

Monument valley would have been next on my list. It is less kid friendly than any of the places I went.

<p>Bryce Canyon is my favorite.</p>

<p>Some places are closed for 6 months or more during the winter and spring due to snow. I suggest visiting the travel section of a book store. There are tons of books on the US southwest and national parks. The rental car rates and taxes in Vegas are much cheaper than most places. I think I could rent a car for 3 weeks from Vegas for the same price as one week in Denver. Do your research and have fun.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions so quickly. Lots to to consider. I was going to write down my short list, but at this point I don't think it is too short anymore. I'd like to find a place that is not too crowded (I know that's hugely variable with time and place) and not to oriented to just driving around. On the other hand, I don't want to have to hike many miles to get to the "good parts". I'd like to find a place where after 3 or 4 days I felt like I had a good sense of it (i.e. a smaller park). </p>

<p> Having recently retired, my first major trip is going to be Arches NP in April. Arches has always been high on my bucket list, and I plan on staying in Moab. The nice thing about Arches is most of the hiking trails are not that long, and most are not strenuous. Though I am sure one could spend a lifetime exploring any of the major parks, I have the impression a 3-4 day stay will allow me to do some hiking and see the major attractions of the park during the best hours for photography. I talked to an Arches NP representative and she suggested 2-4 days in Arches, but also allow a day for Canyonlands NP, which is only about an hour from Moab. She described Arches as feeling like an ant looking up at the scenery, and a visit to Canyonlands is like an eagle soaring above it. Quite a contrast for just an hour's driving. If you do some internet searching, you will find there are a lot of other attractions within a couple hours drive of Moab. I highly recommend the "Photographing the Southwest" series of books by Laurent Martres. Those books have been a valuable resource for planning this trip, and if all works out should be a great reference for future trips. Google has also been invaluable, as I search for specific places and look at the images posted.</p>

<p> Having recently retired, my first major trip is going to be Arches NP in April. Arches has always been high on my bucket list, and I plan on staying in Moab. The nice thing about Arches is most of the hiking trails are not that long, and most are not strenuous. Though I am sure one could spend a lifetime exploring any of the major parks, I have the impression a 3-4 day stay will allow me to do some hiking and see the major attractions of the park during the best hours for photography. I talked to an Arches NP representative and she suggested 2-4 days in Arches, but also allow a day for Canyonlands NP, which is only about an hour from Moab. She described Arches as feeling like an ant looking up at the scenery, and a visit to Canyonlands is like an eagle soaring above it. Quite a contrast for just an hour's driving. If you do some internet searching, you will find there are a lot of other attractions within a couple hours drive of Moab. I highly recommend the "Photographing the Southwest" series of books by Laurent Martres. Those books have been a valuable resource for planning this trip, and if all works out should be a great reference for future trips. Google has also been invaluable, as I search for specific places and look at the images posted.</p>

<p>If you fly into Vegas, you have lots of choices. Personally I'd probably try and get a connection into St George (although you can drive there from Vegas in a couple hours) and then head to Kanab. North Rim of the Grand Canyon, much less visited then the South Rim. And then I'd second Arches, also less visited then Zion and Bryce. Really, hard to go wrong with any of these. If you've never really traveled in the SW, any of these parks will WOW you. </p><div>00YJpz-336595584.JPG.e766f1e4a1906c7f41e7a7e0a93ede99.JPG</div>

<p>I finally started looking at a map carefully and was surprised to see how close (relatively) a lot of these places are to each other. One problem with this research is that its going to make wish I had more time for the trip. <br>

These posts have been really helpful though, especially the detailed ones. </p>

<p>Make sure you plan the trip to get at each location for sunrise/early morning or late afternoon/sunset. It's the LIGHT that you are after for great shots. While I am sure you can get some great stuff anytime, to get great skies you want to plan ahead.</p>

<p>You don't say when you want to visit. All the national parks are very busy during the peak summer travel months. Zion meets many of your criteria, i.e., it is compact, offers a lot of variety in scenery and activities, and is drop-dead spectacular. It is also <em><strong>extremely</strong></em> crowded in summer. In off-peak months, it is ideal for a 3-4 day visit and would be my first recommendation. Be prepared for some moderately strenuous walking if you want to really see the park (although there are certainly nice sights to be seen along the roadways).</p>

<p>Moab would be my other suggestion, because there are so many different things to see within manageable driving distance--Arches NP, Canyonlands NP (a vast area with many different options), Dead Horse Point, Horseshoe Canyon (part of Canyonlands), Colorado River Gorge, etc. Arches is also very compact and therefore can be crowded in peak times. Canyonlands is vast and less crowded. Most visitors to national parks seem to be intent on seeing as many parks as possible and they spend just a few hours at each park, resulting in huge crowds on the roadways and at the most accessible viewpoints. If you get out and walk, you can usually leave the crowds behind, but you need to be prepared for hiking with adequate clothing and sufficient water. Access to most of Arches and to the major viewpoints in Canyonlands is on paved roads, but some of the more interesting areas require 4WD or at least a vehicle with good ground clearance and all terrain tires (Jeep rentals are available in Moab).</p>

<p>Monument Valley is a great area to photograph, but personally I wouldn't spend more than a day there in a single trip. If you decide to do Monument Valley, you might want to combine it with either Canyon de Chelly or Mesa Verde.</p>

<p>Two notes of caution: First, the Congress seems to be heading toward a game of budgetary chicken, with a partial government shutdown at least possible...if that happens national parks would likely be closed. Second, don't be deceived by the apparent closeness of things on a map--distances in the Southwest are vast. You are wise to limit your visit to a compact area and enjoy the time you have available in a defined area rather than spending your entire holiday in a car.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It's not about my favorite SW park. It's about what to do with that amount of time. I would fly into Vegas, and see Bryce and Zion, or maybe just Zion. Watch the airline prices soaring in the next few weeks. You may want to buy your tickets immediately.</p>

<p>I didn't say when because I have some flexibility. I was assuming not during the summer months though. I want to avoid the heat and the crowds. <br>

These comments have been great. I really appreciate everyone's effort to provide them. There are some great details and some good advise. <br>

I clearly have some more thinking to do, but I am leaning towards, Zion and or Bryce, but the idea of going to Moab and visiting Arches and the other close by parks is also appealing. Besides the name recognition, I know so little about these parks. I definitely don't mind a little hiking and think I'd also prefer the smaller ones. (Ideally, I'd like to park and walk rather than drive around in a big loop with lots of other cars). I like the locality of Moab to the NPs. The drive from Vegas to Zion and or Bryce (and then back again) seems like an entire day more or less. Is that drive itself scenic?<br>

Thanks again. </p>

<p>Well, it is favorite + given the amount of time. : > But time is definitely an important part of the equation for me. On the other hand, I am getting some good ideas for possible extended family vacation too, but then it would be summer and crowded, and hot, and I am not sure how impressed the under 11 year old set would be after the initial excitement wore off. How are these parks in April? <br>

Agreed, about the fuel prices, but sadly I am not quite ready to book, so I will just have to cope. Hopefully, it won't be too bad. Right now its around 500 from BOS to Vegas or airport near Monument. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Realize the scale out there is large. What looks like a short hop is a few hours or more by car. I like Canyonlands - the Needles and Island in the Sky districts. Arches too if you can dodge the crowds. Bryce Canyon is memorable. If you have small children be very cautious at any of these places. Towns are spread out so carry extra water and snacks with you, and fill the gas tank often.</p>

<p>Spencer,<br>

I think it depends on what you want to photograph. There are amazing rock formations, incredible vistas, loads of great mountain ranges, desert. </p>

<p>I'm sure you already know the big ones, monument valley, Grand Canyon, Arches, Death Valley. I'll throw out some others that haven't been mentioned. Channel Islands, Saguaro, White Sands, Petrified Forest, Madera Canyon, Kitt Peak, Mojave, Joshua Tree, Kings Canyon / Sequoia.</p>

<p>I would suggest going to Tucson, AZ. You can check out the Ansel Adams Collection, Madera Canyon can be phenomenal, Saguaro National Park, Many of the Missions, Mount Lemon and Kitt Peak can all be done within an hour or two drive from Tucson. My wife and I went last fall, flying into phoenix and then driving to Tucson for 3 days, 4 to 5 days would've been much better. <br>

Unfortunately many of the places on your list are just way too big to do in a couple of days, many are also ridiculously popular thus you spend a lot of time sitting in traffic. If you don't take a few days to hike the grand canyon then you've missed many of the smaller details that are equal to the grand vistas in my opinion. </p>

<p>My second bit of advice as someone who does 7 or 8 three day trips a year. Don't bite off too much. When traveling primarily for photography, I can get two things per day, with up to four hours for travel and downtime in between. That isn't much particularly if you have to hike a bit to get the really good stuff. Pick a place and then ask for 6 to 8 things in that place to photograph for a couple of hours. Look up on travel wiki, and the forums for advice. If you might want to go to Arizona, check out Arizona Highways for ideas. </p>

<p>Presumably you'll be flying. Carry all your camera gear carry on if you can. When given a choice try to do less, you'll enjoy it more. </p>

<p>I agree that Laurent Martres' books are a great place to start planning a trip to the southwest. Go to his web site <a href="http://www.phototripusa.com">www.phototripusa.com</a> and click on "images" to give you an idea of what can be done with photography in the southwest.<br>

My favorites are Arches, Canyonlands, and Zion. A usually overlooked place that is also a favorite of mine is the tiny Natural Bridges National Monument which is also in the same general area.</p>

<p>I just ordered a couple of the books, but I hadn't found the website so thanks for that pointer. I have heard of (but had since forgotten) Natural Bridges National Monument. I'll have to see how close to Arches it is. <br>

Anyone care to comment how Bryce compares with Zion? Should I try to do both, or just stick with one (probably Zion?) That and Arches/Moab/ area are making their way to the top of the list. <br>

I am intrigued by Death Valley though. Hadn't considered that for this trip, but maybe I should. Tucson, AZ and Sedona are also on the short list too though. Anyone whose been feel like commenting on Sedona?<br>

Thanks again for all the great replies. </p>

<p>Spencer - a little practical info.</p>

<p>Flying into Vegas is a good idea. Because of its position in the tourist industry, it commands lots of flights, lots of nonstops from all sorts of places, and can be relatively cheap because of the abundance of flights.</p>

<p>The drive from Vegas to the visitor center in Zion Canyon is about 3 hours plus any stops you might make along the way (3/4 of it on an interstate). It's a single day, out-and-back trip for me from here in Vegas.</p>

<p>Bryce is a 2 hour drive (maybe less) from Zion. Bryce is very different, not only from Zion , but from anywhere else. The hoodoo rock formations happen at a variety of places around the world, but nowhere else has the color that Bryce does. Unless you want to do a lot of hiking amongst the hoodoos, Bryce really is a one day visit - full day to be sure, but you can get a great look in one day. Planning only one day is risky though - the weather doen't always cooperate.</p>

<p>North Rim - check the NPS website for the Grand Canyon to find out when they plan to open the North Rim. It may well be closed in April. If it's open, a 4 days visit covering Zion, Bryce, and the North Rim would be easy and an excellent assortment of places.</p>

<p>There is also a recommendation for Death Valley - it's a 2.5 hour drive from my house and one of my favorite places, too. But with just 3-4 days, trying to go both east and west from Las Vegas probably isn't practical. If you are into hiking, you could easily spend all your time the DV and come away with a great experience, but you'd be giving up some of the variety that going the Zion/Bryce/Grand canyon route will offer. That will have to be a personal choice.</p>

<p>Have a great time wherever you choose to go.</p>