Your Favorite Compact Camera (film or digital)

<p>Joseph, I use a Canon A540 that I purchased in Dec. 2006 for my wife for Christmas, :-) (not sure what the current version is called) & get some very satisfactory results up to 12"x18". Search in Gallery > Search by Photo Tags> P&S Canon or whatever else crosses your mind. If there's samples on Photo.net you'll see the results there. I like the Canon for it's zoom range (35mm to 140mm FF equiv), optical zooming finder (though it's not too accurate, shows less than what you get on the sensor), it's motor drive capabilities (low frame rate but great for my grandson's soccer photos), it's macro capabilities, it's different modes (Full Auto, Program, Aperture priority, Shutter priority, Manual (you pick the shutter speed-aperture combo, movie mode, Pano mode for those spectacular vistas) Runs on AA batteries (very easy to get replacements, alkaline, or rechargable NiMHi) As you can see it has a lot going for it. I use it more than my film cameras (Minolta XG-M, Bronica SQ Ai, and Rolleiflex-T) because it does the job for me and is so light and easy to handle. Six megapixels is all I need for the size I print to though the newer versions have more plus anti-shake and face recognition technology to boot. It's all most of us will ever need. Oh yah, built in flash with compensation if you need it. (Full, half, quarter power) One last feature: A superb lens. Downside? With the inherent great DOF of the short lenses (even wide open at f2.6) one can't hope to control backgrounds very well if you are looking to isolate your subject with shallow DOF. Hope this helps. Best, LM.</p>

<p>I've got a later version of your camera - the A720 - and I agree with pretty much everything you say. It's pretty much the only camera I use anymore. The only real gripes are the fact that you can't really throw backgrounds out of focus due to the small sensor size and that it's somewhat difficult to balance flash and ambient light - the camera's internal computer always overrides even manual settings when it thinks it know better. For what I do - small prints and internet postings - I think a DSLR would be way overkill, plus I know I wouldn't be taking a larger camera with me everywhere I go like I do with my point and shoot.</p>

<p>Casio Exilim. I have two different models in the 12.1 Mp range. One's an EX-Z1200. Don't remember the other model number but it's similar.</p>

<p>This is the camera that I carry with me at all times, in case I stumble across something that needs to be shot, like the example below.</p>

<p>Very rugged reliable cameras. Battery charge lasts forever (months of disuse).</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>I like my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ8 7mp camera. It is lightweight, but feels real solid. It has a nice builtin Leica zoom lens. It also has both rear panel LCD screen and an EVF (electronic viewfinder), so you can choose either view style depending on the shot. To date it has been an excellent performer and it has never glitched on me. It can shoot in either Jpeg or Raw. I have shot pictures of the same scene, right alongside with a Nikon D-300, and the FZ8 pics always come out looking just as usable as the D-300's. </p>

<p>My favorite compact cameras, in no particular order...</p>

<p> Olympus XA. Good enough for Manuel Alvarez Bravo & Galen Rowell. Tiny, simple, reliable, produces a disproportionate number of keepers in my hands.</p>

<p> Olympus Stylus Epic (Mju-II) AF, sharp lens, weatherproof, excellent metering.</p>

<p> Fuji 200 EXR, FujiF100fd, Fuji F30.</p>

<p> Canon A640 and A650</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>Film</strong> - <strong>Contax G1</strong> with a trio of Zeiss lenses-Very compact rangefinder with eye-popping optical quality. This sees a lot of action, <strong>Ricoh 500G </strong>- A sleeper classic with a great lens in a subcompact size-Cheap!, <strong>Rollei 35 </strong>- It's a Rollei. Nuff said.</p>

<p><strong>Digital</strong> - <strong>Canon G9 </strong>- Keep the ISO at 400 or less and you have a serious shooter here. Jacket pocket-able, great lens with a wide range, RAW files, beautiful color. I have shot more with this camera than any other over the last few years. Great for travel.</p>

<p><strong>Best bang for the buck</strong> - <strong>Samsung 202 digital</strong>. 12MP, Oh so small, shirt pocket-able and killer sharp lens. Nice close up features. 3"screen. Surprising image quality. Factory referbed from eBay like new in the box-$40! The best two-twenties I ever spent on photography.</p>

<p>Leica CM. <br>

The 40mm lens provides a field of view close to what I see. I usually have it loaded with E100G film. That film in combination with the lens quality provide stunning results.<br>

I have a medium format system, along with a complete OM4 system. I recently acquired a digital SLR. If i were to keep only one camera, it would be the Leica CM. </p>

<p>Of the cameras I've actually owned and used, my favorite compact film and digital cameras are both from Olympus:</p>

<ul>

<li>Olympus 35 RC. I've had a bunch of consumer grade fixed lens compact rangefinders - Yaschicas, Canonets, Minoltas, etc. - but the 35 RC has been my favorite. Small, solid, easy to use and quiet enough to use in almost any live performance art venue - the shutter sound is no louder than clicking a ballpoint pen. It's the smallest practical rangefinder I've used with full manual control (the AE option is okay but I rarely use it). Anything smaller compromises ease of use, especially focusing and exposure adjustments. And it includes that nifty guide number based flash. Very cool feature because it enables use of non-auto flash units. Dial in the guide number and adjusting the focus also adjusts the appropriate aperture.</li>

<li>Oly C-3040Z. My first digicam. Excellent fast midrange zoom, equivalent to 35-105mm f/1.8-2.6 (actual focal range is around 7-21mm). Even tho' the ISO tops out at 400 I've been able to rescue deliberately underexposed photos to salvage usable photos, using noise reduction software and, if all else fails, converting to monochrome. Virtually silent shutter so I can even use it at the ballet or opera without disturbing anyone. Only drawback is the silly SmartMedia sorta-floppy cards, so I'm looking for a replacement. Most P&S digicams made since this era are downgrades, with slowpoke variable aperture superzooms that demand using higher ISOs. The Micro 4/3 paradigm is the first really significant improvement in this genre. I'm crossing my fingers hoping Nikon will introduce a DX sensor compact digital camera - no mirror, no bulky prism.</li>

</ul>

<p>Both are still good enough for most of my candid snapshots. Ideally I'd like a Konica Hexar to replace the Oly for 35mm; and a DX sensor Nikon that's compatible with my existing Nikkors, or, better still, an FX version of the SP-series rangefinders.</p>