Your favorite color neg films.

Just taking a tally. I don't think this questions been asked in a

bit, and with a few new emulsions out I'm curious. What's your fav

color neg film to have loaded, and rated at what?

Me, well we know I'm partial to NHGII @640, but since it's not made

anymore...I actually don't really have a favorite currently. NPS and

NPH are what I use most often, and albeit great films, neither get me

that excited - too bland.

I have very limited experience since starting to pay attention to this stuff again (last time I did, Kodacolor was still a good choice), but of the film I've used recently, I've like Fuji Reala 100 better than Kodak Portra 400; to my eye, the final prints seemed more saturated and vibrant (though that might also be different printing -- I had them done at different labs). I might have to check if Reala is available in 120 at higher speeds.

wasn't this just asked like a three weeks ago?

anyway, I like NPS (or whatever the low speed NPH is) but i have very little experience with color film...

I also like Polaroid 600 in some artsy aplications (NOT transfers specificly), but that's a different matter entirely.

I agree about UC 400. Once you figure out it's few quirks it's one of the best color films on the market, including slide or print. Only the 100 speed slide films beat UC 400 in terms of sharpness, and only Reala 100 can beat it easily in terms of grain. NPH is not far behind.

Dittoes to what Scott E. sez about Portra 400UC! I just tried a pro-pack and did a road trip I-94 to Seattle and did several touristy sites. the Kodak 400UC really performed well in my Minox ML - even with available light for the Seattle Underground Tour! The harbor and pier shots came out great and the Pike Place market was a hoot! I've been searching for a good, all-around, fast color print film and Kodak Portra 400 UC is my best choice! It will replace Supra400, and several other Kodak, Agfa, Fuji types that litter my freezer.

I have to ditto everything positive that's been said about Portra 400UC. It's

virtually grain-free and produces amazing saturation for its speed. Also,

because you have so much color saturation to begin with, you can produce

some really stylish prints and have a little more latitude to play with color in

Photoshop. (Becuase there is 'so much to begin with' it still looks natural when

you take away a little color, whereas if you're trying to *add* saturation to, say,

NC in order to get to the level of saturation that UC gives you in the first place,

it's usually a little harder.) I shoot in a lot of low-light situations and I wouldn't

be able to survive without this stuff these days. A while ago I shot one subject

with a roll of 160 NC and a roll of 400 UC and the UC images had a lot more

punch and required much less manipulation to get to the final stage (i.e. not

make them look washed-out because they were shot at night with indirect

light.) The only problem I have noticed is that there is sometimes a little too

much red in the skin tones. Uh... yeah. Go for it.

I'm hooked on Kodak 400UC for the moment. Rated at 320, it yields excellent flesh tones and nicely saturated primaries and secondaries. It's very fine-grained as well. I haven't shot anything else in months.

400UC's flesh tones are surprisingly good. Just be careful with reflections from nearby objects on skin, particularly green or yellow reflections. If the image drifts too far away from flesh tone and into a primary or secondary color this film will grab it and RUN.

I tried pull processing 400UC 1 stop for a lower contrast negative... I gained some detail but the image shifted slightly yellow and flesh tones weren't as nice.

I've shot 400UC mainly in 645 format; I've no experience shooting the 35mm version. My blowups to 11x14 from 645 show very little grain, and I really have to look for it.

Previously I primarily used NPH and NPS. Both are very nice stocks but I like the tight grain and extra speed I get from 400UC. And you can't beat it for punchy colors in a color negative film that still handles flesh tones well.

I've used 160NC and 160VC. They're okay. I was happier with NPH and NPS. VC was nice for shooting against green backgrounds, like grass and plants. The greens really popped.

I tested some NPZ at 800 and I wasn't impressed. It was muddy and very bland. I'll try it again at 640 sometime when I'm desperate for the speed.