Your favorite cheap-o lens

ptkeam

<p>So I was interested in getting a constant 2.8-apeture "standard" zoom lens for my D70 bodies. I kind of liked the 24/28-70mm range -- a normal to short tele lens. The Nikon version is out-of-sight expensive @ $1400. So I checked out the Sigma version since I've generally been happy with Sigma lenses. Their version was over $450. Both of these were pretty heavy & bulky.<br>

I really just wanted something for somewhat low light "walk-around" use & really didn't want to break the bank. In browsing the KEH inventory I came upon a Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4DG zoom for $75 bucks. I thought what the heck and got it. It has turned out to be a great little lens -- not only cheap, but lightweight and optically a pretty good performer. The only compromise is the decrease to f/4 at the 70mm focal length. This hasn't proven to be a big deal.<br>

This got me to thinking about great, little bargains out there among the "non-sexy" lenses that people have found to use for specific purposes -- ie. travel, telephoto, macro etc. -- that have worked out well for them. What have you found that has hit the nail on the head while not breaking the bank????</p><div>00Rw1K-101559584.jpg.6da4496faf07f0be7aea8e0441f2b551.jpg</div>

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>there are a lot of really nice optics out there you can pick up for very little money... even though i'm about to spring for the $1,400 monster the OP mentioned, i'm really very fond of the little nikkor 28-70/3.5-4.5 i use as a walk-around zoom. also, a lens i bought by mistake turns out to be incredibly sharp: nikkor 100/2.8 E AI-S.</p>

<p>Two favorites actually, one was a $16 Spiratone 400/6.3 telephoto which has a t-mount and I can use it on any of my film SLRs as well as my Nikon D100....delivers good central area around f8-11, softer edges. My 2nd was a Tamron Adaptamatic SP zoom 35-80/2.8 which cost around $23 and I used a couple of years on my F100 and D100...delivered good contrast and sharp results, particularly at the long end.</p>

<p>A few...</p>

<p>50/2 AI Nikkor. Pretty much a see-through body cap. Lovely softness wide open, sharpens up smartly stopped down to f/4. Just slightly better than the 50/1.8D AF Nikkor for that versatility.</p>

<p>100/4 Spiratone Portragon, fixed aperture T-mount. Way ahead of its time and didn't sell well. The LensBaby is the latest incarnation of a dedicated soft focus lens and was marketed far better. But the Spiratone cost me only around $15 in a pawn shop.</p>

<p>135/3.5 Lentar preset T-mount. Another pawn shop puppy. It's been with me through Minolta, Canon FD and Olympus OM systems. Good resolution but with only moderate contrast so it offers a different flavor from my 85/2 AI-S and 105/2.5 AI Nikkors.</p>

<p>A 100mm f/3.5 AF Macro Phoenix lens (but it's appeared under other labels) in Nikon mount. Goes to 1:2 by itself, and 1:1 with included diopter. Very good optics, which I expect to continue to function unless I accidentally hit it against something. A wonderful bargain. Rattles when focusing, but it feels cheap too.</p>

<p>I vote for the 50 mm 1.8 as well. On manual focus lenses, the 50 mm E series, which can be found in mint conditions for a little more than the price of two new caps. I paid mine 25$ in 2006. Moving to zoom lenses, the one I can't live without on an AF body is the 35-70 2.8. It is a bit long on the wide side, but it was Nikon flagship of the old days, accepts cheaper 62 mm filters and can be found used for a reasonable price. I still have mine from the mid 90's and won't part with this reliable workhorse.</p>

There are three I guess. A 35/2 mf in nearly mint shape was $35. I found an old 80-200/4.5 that had been AI'd that I couldn't leave behind for fifty bucks. It lives in the small bag I don't leave home without. Last is a Phoenix 19-35 I got when I needed a body cap for my first Nikon digital. It's been dropped twice on a tennis court, has a look all its own and didn't cost a dime. Rick H.