On the post just below this, I made this comment:

<p><p>

<i>Photography doesn't have to be a goal in mind, such as, "I'm going to this

place today to take pictures." Bringing a camera with you should be as natural

and automatic as taking your car & house keys every time you leave the

house.</i>

<p><p>

Now, I'm curious. How many of you actually carry a camera with you everywhere

(or most everywhere) you go? And if you do, what do you use?

<p><p>

I do, and carry with me a CV R4A with a CV 21mm/4 (usually with HP5+ or Tri-x).

I always try to grab a bag when going out the door. My problem is that I always want to grab too much....just in case. I'd like to pick up a Leica M and a couple lenses to have with me but can't afford it. I picked up a small OM system that serves the purpose for now.

I keep an overhauled Pentax ME super / 50mm 1.7 in my car with some Plus X, PanF, and XX. I also carry a Fuji F10 in my pocket Monday-Friday. (for work)

I use the Fuji on VGA mode (as the photos are only E-mailed) and have forgotten to bump the resolution up on a few ocassions. Now I just grab the Pentax.<div>00OQD4-41730684.jpg.d647f13ba5664cd7e8b91d63a617db75.jpg</div>

D200 and 18-200 go with me most places. That lens is too slow for some situations, so depending on the bag, the 30/1.4 or 50/1.8 might be in there, too. And maybe a speedlight. And some batteries. And that ultra-wide, just in case. And, you know, if something really exciting breaks out, the 70-200. And cables and the laptop - you never know. What the heck, the other speedlight, too. And the macro lens. Damn, my back hurts.

The worst part is that I'm only partly joking. But I will say that the Crumpler pack I'm using does a great job with the laptop, the camera, and a several odds and ends, lens-wise. Very comfortable, and I frequently just sling it over one shoulder, and look very non-photographer most of the time. There's even room for a donut in there, to make up for the calories I burn carrying the pack.

Either a small backpack (an old 16 litre bullet pack from Mountain Eqquipment Co-Op) with an SLR (could be film or digital at a whim), flash & 17-40 or 28-135

or

a Casio Exilim P700 (nice 7 MP digicam with PASM modes and PC port). Nice and compact but very limiting.

I always carry a flash...surprising how much I use it.

Cheers! Jay

Keith: I'm crazy, but not that crazy. Of course, if could afford that 500mm bird lens and a Gitzo w/ gimbal... nah. In real life, most days that I actually get up from my telecommuting buddha-like position, it's just the body with one lens mounted, another faster lens, and maybe the speedlight. It's a pretty good recipe, since (given my line of work), I'm never without a substantial laptop and other items anyway. I just have to remember to switch shoulders sometimes, to avoid the Quasimodo effect.

I almost never carry my camera with me. I tried for a while. But, for the sort of work I like to do, I was never happy with the results (i.e. I'm sure I might feel differently if I shot 'street'). I found that in the rushed pace of day to day life I never had time to do an interesting subject justice. Or, with my landscape hat on, I found that the fleeting light would be gone before I had stopped, set-up and found a foreground. Over an extended period (6-months to a year and off and on since) I didn't get one portfolio worthy image out of having my camera 'with me'. So, I stopped.

I also like to be in a certain psychological space clear of daily thoughts when photographing and I can't turn that on and off instantly. Even when I am interested in photographing people, the city, or the urban environment, I still set aside a day or specific times to do that in and don't work 'on a whim'.

But, I'm always thinking and framing and seeing photographically as I go through a day.

When unsure of what I'll be shooting, I put TX or XP2 in a Leica M with a 50 if I'll be outdoors or a 35 if I'll be indoors; if both, then usually the 35.

If the Leica is too large, I carry a Contax T2.

I used to carry a Minox C all the time. Now that was a camera that could really go anywhere!

When my back pack filled up with "must have lenses" I realized I was packing a real theft prize around in the car, so I left it home and take the Nikon digital P&S everywhere for the odd opportunities. Since the days are getting longer here, there are a few photo opps for some particular low light morning and evening scenes that I won't want to miss, so I'm going to risk carrying my DSLR and lenses around with me to get those shots. When that's accomplished the P&S goes back into the car till I see yet another "can't miss" photo op.

"Now, I'm curious. How many of you actually carry a camera with you everywhere (or most everywhere) you go?"

I do.

"And if you do, what do you use?"

It depends. I always have a small camera w/ TriX, usually the XA2, and either the G6 or FZ30.

Sometimes I take along a lunch-box size padded case that holds 3 digital P & S cameras: Olympus 770SW 7Mpixel, Samsung S730 7Mpixel, and a Samsung S630 6Mpixel. They are so easy to pull out and shoot with, and they dont make you look like a pappa-razzi. :) They can also be used to make on-the-spot video, and the 770SW and S730 can do this after dark with little lighting.