Your dream camera (combo)

ruslan

I don't have a dream camera or camera/lens combination. I just don't think about that stuff much. I use the few pieces of gear I have, aware that that may give me less flexibility than others and a narrower array of gear experience, and concentrate on the photos, the subjects of my photos, developing a voice, and trying to have a new portfolio that I can feature in a gallery show every few years.
There’s always something new under the sun.

Only ONE lens for an interchangeable lens camera ??? :(

Here they are by format:

• 4x5 - Sinar F2 + 180 Schneider or Nikon

• 6x6 - Hasselblad 501cm + 180 CFi
  • 35mm film SLR - Nikon F black (in mint condition) + 50/1.2

• 35mm film RF - Leica, but I have no idea which one.

• FF/FX - Nikon D850 + 24-70/2.8

• FX mils - Nikon Z7 + 24-70/4
  • APS-C dSLR - Nikon D500 + 200-500

• APS-C mils - ???

• m4/3 - Olympus E-M1-mk2 + 12-100

I’d like to see some of your work.

Please post.

Thanks for your interest. I’ve had online portfolios in the past but am currently concentrating on presenting prints. You’re welcome to visit my studio any time or my gallery in the spring when I have my exhibit. San Francisco’s sunset district. Hope to see you.

There’s always something new under the sun.

Digital cameras are appliances, much like microwave ovens, televisions, or phones. They are meant to be used up and replaced by something two years newer and much much better. They are not worth the price of repair. They aren't Leicas meant to be cherished for a lifetime. Todays entry level Nikon, while not emotion stirring, will out perform my Nikon D300 in every meaningful way. So, no more dream cameras for me.

With the decline in the prices of film cameras, and some ability to afford the digitals I want, I HAVE every already existing camera I want or have ever wanted. This may not be a point of pride, of course, but merely of self indulgence, even a sin.

The Leica M3 was the capstone, but there were plenty (and they have filled my office to the rafters) that were harder to find.

My ambrosia, but not everyone's cup of tea:

PS.jpg.c3196d760d1f36e0146cbb5139496d35.jpg

• Like 2

Last time I looked around I considered the current market: "sleep on!" There is nothing that I'd really desire to have or am dreaming about and am skipping lunches for.

On a make a wish to win a lottery base, I'd list 1DX II with 200-400/4 x1.4. It is probably nice to have and I might shoot it once or twice each year... (I'd also take a recent Nikon with 200-500m, just the Canon 100-400 or even a Tamron 150-600 in EF mount.)

M10? - It is kind of cute but in my eyes mainly spreading hope for a Monochrom based upon it, which I'd happily take with Mandler' spherical 35mm Summilux. - I'd mount that lens on my current M9 based one and an existing 90mm on the new body. - I am aware that this isn't answering the original question. - AFAIK the M10 can't get tethered anymore? If that is true, I'd prefer the M(240) as a replacement color Leica.

QUOTE="Gary Nakayama - SF Bay Area, California, post: 5698150, member: 2105396"]Only ONE lens for an interchangeable lens camera ??? :(

My thoughts too!

Just one lens boils things down to zoom range and image stabilization. There is the 24-120 Nikkor vs. 24-90 Vario Elmar, right? - I don't get along with Nikon menus and IDK where the SL is AF performance wise.

I also don't know if the EOS R 24-105 is as poor as the EF lens. If not, I'd take it, for flippy screen's sake, knowing that sensor and UI of the EOS R should be acceptable and hoping it'll play well with my Yongnuos.

Digital MF is not really relevant to me yet. Yes, I liked film MF for the simple reasons that 35mm film looks too grainy on an 8x10" printed from insanest ISO. I also liked chimney finders, that got my lens on subjects' eye levels. FF digital seems to provide that IQ (of pushed TMY 120).

Digital MF camera systems available seem to be studio dinosaurs. - Heavy, unstabilized, optimized for low ISO performance, sluggish AF. They don't get me anywhere (and vice versa?). - I know how lazy I am (bulk, weight, usually no tripod and not enough fuel to drive a van I don't own around, to have studio strobes etc. at hand.) I also run out of light with what I have and missed enough shots due to not yet acquired focus to not be content with Pentax or early Fujis. If I shoot what I have cleanly, results are sufficient.

I recently pondered a lens purchase: The 85/1.4 IS. combining IS with the 5D IV's low light capability seemed tempting. On the other hand: How to get such a beast focused? - AF spot juggling and micro adjustments needed sounded like quite the nightmare. Going Sony might provide decent eye detection but once again horrible menus?

I think I burned enough good money on not that great cameras to sit and wait. - Fuji seem to be getting somewhere with their crop sensors, don't they? - It their XT 3 (or 4?)'s AF reaches a DMF body with IBIS, I might wake up and get dreamy...

Dreams seem doable but not on the shelves yet.

• Like 1

Although I am quite happy with my Canon 5D IV and intend to use it as my main camera for many more years, it would be nice to own a Hasselblad X1D-50c medium format mirrorless digital camera plus a wide angle lens for landscapes. The camera's reasonable size and weight should solve Jochen's objection that "Digital MF camera systems available seem to be studio dinosaurs." But, I can hardly justify the $10K or $12K needed for such a purchase.
  • Like 1

My dream might be a Fuji GFX with the 23/45/63/110 giving me the equiv. of 18/35/50/85.

Realistically it's what I have now with my dSLR but a no. of them are Nikon AF-D lenses. 50/85 and in the future I hope to add a 35. I have a AFS 18-35. Would love the lenses on a used Fuji XT1 too due to it's compact for travel.

I started with a Kodak Brownie camera and have shot everything from 35mm, medium format, 4x5 and now digital. Its not the camera that makes great pictures. Cameras are like "brushes" for an artist working with paint. Each one has its own characteristics which can be used creatively.