Your biggest frustration in photography?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Thanks Ranier. I think that is probably the universal frustration -- experience is of course a very effective cure, but I was thinking in terms of ways in which one could maximize the value of an hour spent towards getting better. I know that digital photography has accelerated my learning, since I'm able to see what I did wrong immediately -- I was thinking along these lines.<br>

Does there need to be an new type of camera? Does there need to be an new method of learning photography? Does there need to be a new type of mechanism to get feedback on one's photos? Etc.</p>

<p> "but I was thinking in terms of ways in which one could maximize the value of an hour spent towards getting better." Spending more time in museums and art galleries looking at and studying the work of great photographers is one of the best ways to improve. </p>

<p>Building on Tim's wonderful answer . . . early on in my photographing experience, I spent several hours emulating one of the great famous photographers, really trying to mimic, with my own subject and photo, the post-processing this photographer had done with a similar subject, to get a similar look. It really opened my eyes to what goes into a good photo, and especially to much more clearly seeing a lot of nuances and subtleties, and how to achieve them, that I hadn't really been overtly conscious of before. Of course, I didn't rest once I got the emulation down. I then spent years building from there.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Biggest frustration, though it is no longer a frustration since I have gotten used to it, is the very small shooting area I have . In midtown Manhattan space is so expensive that I have been working in a small space for years. There are serious restrictions on the models, such as not moving around. My problem is nothing compared to a friend who is a great painter and has been working in a studio not much bigger than a closet, for many years.</p>

<p>I have no real frustrations with photography. I live a much quieter, simpler life than I used to. This was a deliberate decision. Once I got some important lifetime goals out of the way, it was a lot easier to slow down and take my time about some things that I liked, including photography. I'm probably 50X happier than I was ten years ago. I take it easier, and proceed with more confidence. Things go smoother. </p>

<p>The pictures got better right away. I stay away from "pursuing" a good print in the darkroom, or fussing too much about getting something done today. I do not race around anymore; I avoid the use of alarm clocks, don't make a bunch of phone calls or worry about reports, and stay out of traffic jams. Traffic jams are a good opportunity to do something else besides wait in the car like everyone else. </p>

<p>Basically, I changed my line of thinking from pushing myself to react, on into taking my time to relax and construct. A certain amount of mental serenity can be a positive influence overall. It promotes long term strength. Most of the time, the sky is not going to fall in photography.</p>

<p>In photography, I don't use the latest equipment. I don't photo-edit images to death in the darkroom or on the computer. I don't push hard to get things done now. I don't do any kind of reportage or weddings. My standards for my personal image quality are probably low. Generally, there was just a dramatic drop in personal standards and more acceptance. I keep an eye on day to day affairs, but overall, new endeavors are more exploratory and constructive, rather than a race to get something done. All of this, this change in approach, led to a big increase in quality and quantity of construction overall.</p>

<p>Most people will say, Work harder! I was one of the guys who needed to work less.</p>

<p>As soon as I did less on a day to day basis, I got more done.</p>

<p>Getting frustrated? Sometimes it helps to back up to where things were easier, and then move slowly forward.</p>

<p>My biggest frustration is people who walk in front of me just as I am taking a picture.</p>

<p>My solution of hitting them in the head with the camera hasn't worked out very well for me, but I am due to be released next week.</p>

<p>Photography enriched my life, enlarged my sight .I don't feel frustrated, and I don't feel I'm at my best , far from it. I know I need to learn more , and I learn everyday. I simply enjoy photographing, post processing, developing my understanding and my skills ,dialoguing with other photographers. I like the way and accumulating experience with my camera. I have my achievements but I never seat on the "bay wreath" I know that I'm still and always will be on the way....</p>

<p>My biggets frustration now it the heaps of NEF-files that grows in the computer, waiting to be QC'ed, tagged and archived. I love taking photos, an watching them, but sometimes the workflow clogs in the computer</p>

<p>Solution: Take fewer photos of decide/tag faster.....</p>

<p>Decision making problem - unless an image is clearly bad, it's difficult to throw it out. The result is clogged storage. Then this frustration generates the next frustration: File organization, backup issues, ... </p>

<p>The cure? I think I need someone else to look at my images -- someone who keeps the finger on the delete button. LOL!</p>

<p>Right now my biggest frustration is the lack of readily available scenery that I like (water and/or mountains). However it has turned me on to a new subject...flowers. They are in abundance where I am, and to me, they are quite challenging to shoot.</p>

<p>Having a yearning to do a project that has deep meaning for me...but not yet being able to identify just what it is. Perhaps I'm depending too much on the belief that the answer will come in the form of some great epiphany...but until I'm somehow convinced otherwise, that's how I'm expecting the answer to come. Past experience tells me that hand-wringing and endless pondering has never seemed to be of much benefit. </p>

<p>I don't really get frustrated from photography because it's my hobby and I am a very casual shooter. I usually use my camera when I walk around and just enjoying the weekend. I think I am more frustrated that I can not afford a D700.<br>

But if you are making your living out of it then I understand there will be a lot of pressure then.</p>

<p>My biggest frustration is finding time for photography. I am a full time caregiver for my wife and getting out and about is a problem most of the time. Especially if I try to plan for a certain time to photograph. However, photography is a tool that I use to get away from my other frustrations, at this stage I consider my camera and its use as therapy.</p>

<p>Can I have more than one?</p>

<p>Not being able to communicate as clearly as I'd like to beginners. Without a common vocabulary of basic terms and a mutual understanding of what those terms mean, it's been more challenging than I'd expected.</p>

<p>Not having the time or resources to enjoy the local arts scene more often. Local performance arts have long been a source of inspiration and motivation for my own creative efforts. But I haven't gotten out as much as I used to the past couple of years.</p>

<p>Like Ray, much of my time the past several years has been spent looking after others. It's a challenge and rewarding in its own way. But I haven't been very productive in terms of making new photographs the past couple of years.</p>