Your Best WEDDING shot of 2005

think27

This is not a No Words thread. Think of it as an inspiration for 2006.

Post ONE shot that you feel was your Wow shot for the year. Please

give some info on camera, exposure and if manipulated as well as the

circumstances and any other helpful detail.

PLEASE post it at 511 pixels or less in width (or it will be deleted)

AND TYPE in a CAPTION (or it will be deleted).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my #1 shot but since I've already posted that on another thread and since this is one of my best scanned shots for this year...

Shot with 70-200 2.8 IS from steps at Oatland Plantation in Virginia.

No flash - probably F5.6 late afternoon light. 100 Fuji Reala film. We had just finished our photo session with the couple. I headed up the stairs for the reception and saw this good spot when I looked back where they were still hanging out.. and shot one quick photo before continuing up the steps.. I should have moved a bit to the left so the greenery wasn't overlapping his hair..

Note to myself for next year.... Slow down and pay attention to details.<div>00Eaid-27089584.thumb.JPG.0da21dcd9a328b41c8a5fbe924fb83ad.JPG</div>

I would not call this a wow photo but it is one of my favorites from this year. I love the desperate expression- her hair is just not doing what she wants. I love the softness of it and the DOF. I don't recall exactly but I would guess 85mm 1.8 @1.8 and maybe 1/30? tri-x- no flash. I always like getting ready photos best when the bride invites us to her home- all of her own things in her own room- etc. Note to self- shoot more B&W film in 2006...maybe re-learn to develop???

I can't wait to see the rest of this thread- fun!<div>00Eak2-27090284.jpg.aeed486917e7b8312cdf1443d5ea5220.jpg</div>

Ok, sorry mary, I have two. I will post them as one file! I love my outdoor shots much better than my indoor. I love the bottom one, because of the emotion in the laugh. You can do the same shots for different people, and get totally different results. The top image is F8 1/125 with fill flash at -2. I remember squatting down low for this one. The bottom image is at F4.8 1/125 with fill flash at -2. I've tried this indoors, and the lighting just never works the same.<div>00Eakd-27090684.jpg.9bd81308c915116bb3a0e163da91107b.jpg</div>

Here is one of my favorites...Nikon D70, bounced fill flash, sharpened only. I wish all the

weddings I shoot could be as ideal as this one. It was an unusually warm day in

November, the leaves were at peak color, and the couple was gorgeous and comfortable in

front of the camera. <p>

I will second what was said above about needing to slow down and notice the details. I

always feel rushed knowing that everyone wants to get to the reception. Hopefully with

more experience, I will gain confidence and not have to worry so much about the technical

details. This was my first year on my own, and overall it was a great start! Thank you to

all the photo.net folks for posting so much helpful information. Happy Holidays!<p>

Jill Myers<br>

<a href="http://www.jmyersphoto.com">jmyersphoto.com</a><div>00Ealw-27091484.jpg.4cc513f3097c28acd4993b2f5eb3cb8e.jpg</div>

Oh Mary! GREAT idea. I want to post at least two.

I really hope that everyone posts something. I predict Marc will post something that shows great timing, Al will post a shot of the B&G with a 15mm on his Leica, and of course, with Al somewhere in the corner.

This shot is actually not my #1 favorite shot, because my #1 favorite shot for the entire year was marked as 'private' on the client's Pictge gallery! I feel that I shouldn't post it on a public forum. Hopefully I will get permission to later on.

This barely made #2 favorite.

Canon 20D w/ 24-70 2.8 L around 70mm, probably 2.8 and 1/250th or so. not like ANY of that really matters.<div>00Eam1-27091584.jpg.81d345cb66208edd4c3325da9ecc56cf.jpg</div>

Stacy - Love the movement of the bride's hands and the expression...Very emotional "real moment" shot. Very PJ ;-)

Kari - Hope those shots are on at least page one or two of your website.. Fun and full of personality.

Keep them coming...

It's hard to just pick one favorite shot- I have favorite formal shots, favorite reception shots, etc. I guess this one I like though. The B&G forgot to tell me that they would be hopping into a canoe after the ceremony so I sprinted around the lake following them with my Canon 70-200 2.8 IS wide open. They were a fun couple.<div>00Eamk-27092184.jpg.3c266595f10f75f65bb31baa08099bc0.jpg</div>

Mary, thank you for the compliment! I am still working on my website. I hope to have it up and running sometime in Jan. These two will definately be on there.

Rob, I love that one. Look at her laughing carefree look, like she doesn't have a care in the world. Look at his determination on his face! He looks so serious. I love expression in photography. That is why I love people photography, more so than landscape or nature.

Just one? We should do this once a month! :o)

This shot is from a Mackinac Island wedding. There are no automobiles allowed on the island. If transportation is not by foot or bicycle, it's the victorian romance of a horse and buggy. Today we booked our second '06 Mackinac Island wedding!

Visually, perhaps this is our favorite wedding of '05 because of the variety of backdrops and shots, and the absolute perfect weather.<div>00Eaq1-27093184.jpg.a1a2f397bb2375a8cf892c0bb842edaa.jpg</div>

Here's a couple of photos I took at a friends wedding. I haven't done any weddings professionally but would like to. Just a bit nervous doing the portraiture/staged shots. I need to find a wedding couple with low

expectations to start off with.

By the way I'm from Sydney Australia, if

anyone is interested in a amatuer side kick. ;)<div>00Ear3-27093884.jpg.84fddf724c4d6eed08695ba7994b57e2.jpg</div>

I have a tie for my favorite. One from my first wedding in 2005, and one from my last

wedding of the year. Both are candids. Both are B&W. Both are digital.

I select favorites based on how an image furthered my marketing position of "Romantic

Photojournalism". The idea is to create a timeless romantic feel that could be here and

now, or Paris in 1927. I have many other favorites from 2005. But these further the

continuity that I wish to portray to clients.

Top image of the Bride bowing her head was shot with a Canon 1DsMKII @ ISO 125;

shutter speed of 1250; Lens: 85/1.2 @ f/1.2. Image was converted to B&W using Channel

Splitter: Red Channel

Bottom image titled "Casual Observer" was shot with a Contax 645 & Kodak Proback 645C

@ ISO 400; Lens was a Zeiss 140/2.8 + 1.4X APO converter @ f/4. Image was converted to

B&W via Desaturate in PSCS2/Adobe Raw Converter, and tweaked in PS.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. May you have a glorious and prosperous 2006

!!!!<div>00EarK-27093984.thumb.jpg.b07352092ea29f1c4b6facaca34156ee.jpg</div>