Your best photo related quote...

<p>Give me your best photo related quote. One you made up or one you have seen or read. I will start with a couple....<br>

"Digital is like shaved legs on a man - very smooth and clean but there is something acutely disconcerting about it."<br>

"Not everybody trust paintings, but people believe photographs"</p>

<p>Enjoy,<br>

<br /></p>

<p>One of my favorites, and my own by the way, regarding digital manipultation, is "Just because you can doesn't mean that you should."</p>

<p>Another that I use regarding digital manipulation, especially enhanced saturation, is that "Many of us seem to believe that if a little is good, then a lot more will be that much better." That's evident in many aspects of American culture.</p>

<p>Ansel Adams:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships.<br>

<br /> You don't take a photograph, you make it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Galen Rowell:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it...If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better<br>

<br /> I almost never set out to photograph a landscape, nor do I think of my camera as a means of recording a mountain or an animal unless I absolutely need a 'record shot'. My first thought is always of light</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually, the "f/8 and be there" is attributed to practically everybody but, in this case, Abe Maslow. It may even have been said by Weegee (<a href="../philosophy-of-photography-forum/00QkDB">link</a>).</p>

<p>Here's another variant on the theme:<br>

"f/11 and hold it steady" was the advice that FSA photographer Walker Evans finally gave to the painter Ben Shahn (newly employed by the FSA as a photographer) when repeatedly pressed for advice on how to shoot.</p>

<p><strong>If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough.</strong><br>

- Robert Capa - <em>before he got too close to mine that killed him, while covering Indochina.</em></p>

<p>Sayings we had at various newspapers<br>

When in doubt motor out. <em>(Film Days)</em></p>

<p>Shoot first, ask forgiveness later.<em><br /></em></p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it." - Edward Weston</p>

<p>"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston</p>

<p>"Anything that excites me for any reason, I will photograph; not searching for unusual subject matter, but making the commonplace unusual." - Edward Weston</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>“Forget the camera, forget the lens, forget all of that. With any four-dollar camera, you can capture the best picture.” - Alberto Korda</strong><br>

<em>That makes selling my M3 a little less painful. </em>;0)<strong><br /></strong><br>

<strong><br /></strong></p>