You want to take a look?

andreatau

Hello folks

Some months ago I had the privilege of being sent on a

scientific/logistic cruise around one of the most remote places on

Earth, that is the Svalbard archipelago. I was supposed to document

the life of my fellows scientists and technicians on board and while

doing their daily work. Some of that work is now on a new folder

(titled "80th parallel: Cruising around Svalbard (people and work)")

in my photo.net page. You're very welcome to take a look and drop a

line, keeping in mind that though pretty satisfied of the negatives

(TriX 400 exposed at 1600) and of the prints just come out of my

tiny darkroom, I am disappointed (as usual) by the scanned images,

as scanners and myself have never been good friends.. Thanks a lot<div>009eHE-19854684.jpg.299fca086fc1ca374b076ebe33323605.jpg</div>

Andrea, I had the privilege of seeing even the negatives of this, so my answer can be faked by it....I know the work and dedication that lies at the back of this folder, not even to mention the love you put in it.

The pictures are really descriptive, look taken from somenone that knows what it means being there and partecipate to the trip.

This makes a reportage stronger, esthetic or not is another matter.

Thank you for publishing it!

Thanks. Two great 'essays' and one in colour as well. Superb. I hope PN can excempt these 40 picures from your limit of 200 on the grounds of them being so interesting. I also hope you have managed to get these published and get some future work for you and your cameras as a result.

I would suggest putting these together with text as a presentation and requesting PN to headline it on their front page for a time.

Wow, thank you first "visitors" for your appreciation! It's true: there are may stories behind those pictures and honestly I often wonder whether words should be added or the pictures should be let speak for themselves so that everyone who watches them can make up their own story... Please don't hesitate to ask should you wish more info and thanks again for the very positive comments.

Hei hei, I'm not sure what folders your questions refer to, anyway (at the very risk of disappointing many):

1) both inside the coal mine and on the cruise I had along a Nikon D70 (color shots) and an F100 with 20mm f2.8 and 35mm f2. Films: Tri-x 400 exposed at 1600 for the series on the ship, T-Max 3200 inside the mine (these are not in the folders). That's it. I wish I had bought my M6 a month earlier, so I'd have used it on that "assignment". And I wish that because, given the lack of light of most situations I dealt with, I shot mainly wide open and find that the Nikon lenses are pretty soft then. The F100 is sold and the D70 is collecting dust, now.