You now have 10 minutes to edit your forum posts...

joshroot

<p>Another high-flying feature from Photo.net Labs.</p>

<p>You now have 10 minutes to edit a post you make on photo.net. This will allow you to catch typos, change incorrect info, or even take back that post you instantly regretted. Make a post on a forum thread and then go back to that thread. You will now see a little "edit" link next to your post. Click it and you will be taken to a screen where you can edit your post.</p>

<p>A few IMPORTANT things to note:</p>

<p>-This is just an editing feature for typos and whatnot. It is not intended to allow you to delete forum posts sometime in the future. Photo.net has always presented itself as a place where you have to stand behind what you say. If you aren't willing to accept that your posts will stick around for as long as photo.net exists, you should not be posting here.</p>

<p>-Anyone who has an "alert" for the forum or post that you edit will get the original UNEDITED version. This is very important to remember. If you tell someone to f--k off, and then think better of it, that person will still see your "f--k off" if they have an alert set for that thread. Again, you shouldn't be saying anything that you aren't willing to accept responsibility for.</p>

<p>Remember folks, this is 10 MINUTES ONLY. Use them wisely.</p><div>00RiCS-95315684.jpg.b63406fde600aca75543616b71fe8614.jpg</div>

<p>I'm givin' ya <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">10</span> <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">9</span> <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">8</span> 5 <em>metric</em> minutes to change yer mind...</p>

<p>Hey, it works!</p>

<p><span style="text-decoration: line-through;">I didn't say that...?</span>   <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Oh, yeh, ya did, I saw ya.</span>   <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Quiet, numbskulls, I'm editing!</span></p>

<p>Do that about 37 more times and folks with instant alerts are gonna be your best friends.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do that about 37 more times and folks with instant alerts are gonna be your best friends.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Instant alert people just get the first post.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Will it be possible to view the version history of each post, like Wikipedia?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For the moment, no. Unless people really start abusing it, I don't think the history thing is that important in a forum environment.</p>

<p>Changes are really great. I've just checked how it works and noticed one problem.<br /> Let's say you type a normal message (text not HTML). Then you edit it and the site uses HTML to change things. The problem is that all the "HTML signs" are visible after editing.<br /> Here's what I mean -> http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Ri6T<br /> I just edited my message by pressing "enter" (like typing <br> in HTML language)  to lower the last sentence.</p>

<p>Retro-editing or not, Ton, you render better English than most people I know. I used to work for a company owned by a Dutch immigrant to the U.S., so I always hear an accent when you post... but the grammar's always dead on!</p>

<p>Josh, these are huge improvements you've got brewing. It will contribute substantially to the overall quality of the experience here. Thanks.</p>

<p>This can be broken<br /> 1. Post to a forum<br /> 2. Now you can see edit link for 10mins<br /> 3. Open edit link multiple times, say in 5 tabs or new windows.<br /> 4. Wait for 10mins to pass<br /> 5. You can go to each of those 5 tabs, you can submit the changes. And system accepts it.<br /> 6. The bad part is that timestamp does not change. So it will look like post has not been edit, although it was.</p>

<p>Hopefully photo.net team can fix this flaw easly<br /> Good Luck</p>

<p> </p>

<p>--- snippet posted after 12mins ---</p>

<p>My original post was dated: Dec 06, 2008; 09:01 a.m.</p>

<p>I added this snippet after 12mins. Do you see a timestamp change?</p>

<p>--- snippet posted after 12mins ---</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It still seems to "undo" plain text html links</p>

</blockquote>

<p>D N, I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you give more details? If you mean that URL's pasted into posts to not turn into links automatically anymore, you are correct, they do not. I'm looking to see if that can be changed.</p>

<p>But for now, you will have to paste in the link, select it, then click the "link" button above and paste the URL in there.</p>

<p>Thanks, Josh. As another non-native English speaker, I've been waiting for this feature for a long time. Actually, I don't think that's necessarily related to English, because I use the editing feature a lot on Romanian forums, too. I don't know why this happens, but typos usually seem to escape the confirmation stage. I read the message, everything looks fine, I hit "Confirm" and then see lots of typos. Oops! :-)<br>

I also love the new editor. It's much nicer than having to type HTML tags myself.</p>