You never know!

wingell

Three years ago I posted a shot of two young boys swimming in an open storm

drain in Philadelphia's Fishtown section back in 1968. It's in my black&white

"street shots" folder. I've just received a letter from the EPA in Washington

asking for a license to use the image in a publication dealing with land use and

water quality!

Of course, they want to know if I have model releases. When I took that shot in

my North Philadelphia wanderings 40 years ago, I somehow neglected to get those

releases, and it's probably going to be pretty difficult to find the subjects

now. In any event, I'm going to give the agency a call--I'm really curious how

they came across the image. Like I said, you never know when it comes to

photo.net. Cheers...Bill<div>00LB9J-36555984.jpg.8bf4e962ce0c03d14ab24877d84d785a.jpg</div>

<p>If you give the federal agency license, they have control over the use of the image in

their work, but you can stipulate it can't be used outside of official publications or their

Website. And ensure they cite the photographer so that anyone who sees it can't use it as

part of the public domain.

<p>I was asked by the Department of Interior for use of <a href="http://www.photo.net/

photodb/photo?photo_id=195821">my photo</a> after it was awarded third place

overall in the 150th Anniversary photo contest. I agreed as long as I was cited with the

standard photo citiation, "Photo courtesty of ..." or some such language.

<p>Good luck. It only takes a letter from you to agree with the standard conditions. But

remember the photo may end up without your name in some government portfolio and in

the public domain.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and advice. I spoke today to the EPA representative who inquired about the photo, and she was adamant about their needing releases for use of the image. On the other hand, a metro photo editor I do some work for at a large metropolitan paper states she "can't imagine" why they need a release: "Street photographs do not require releases for editorial purposes," she insists. I'm going to call the EPA again but I think they'll refuse to budge on the matter. (My former Philly studio partner tells me he'll sign a release for one of the kids if someone else signs for the other boy. He also suggests the city should go around removing grates on all the storm drains as a cheap summer recreational program.) By the way, as I suspected, the EPA rep found the image on Google. A new algorithm --or something--is turning up loads of my old photo.net postings. And you're right about the age thing, Michael--I've been getting younger for years! Cheers...Bill