You need to type a message; there is no "Man/woman of Few Words Award" here

WJT

I saw a recent posting in one of the Forums today; a fellow was asking for some help. Being familiar with his

problem I tired to supply him with an answer but PhotoNet timed out as it frequently does on Thursdays and the

posting failed. When I tried to repost I was greeted with your Oh So Cordial and relevant snide remark above. Is

this <i>really</i> that necessary? Can't you just program the system to report that there was an input problem

and to try again? Do you have to vent your frustration in this manner? It really makes the site appear as though

it is being run by someone who lacks the patience of maturity. Regards.

Heh, I'd nearly forgotten about that message. It's gotta be one of the oldest auto-messages on photo.net. As far as I know, it appears only when there's an attempt to submit an empty post. If there's a single character, even tapping the spacebar once, it should go through fine. This is one way to be able to submit a photo or other attachment without entering a message. Useful for those odd occasions when we intend to attach a photo to a message but forget and need to follow it up.

I tried a reasonably straightforward explanation in an auto-message response to the use of multiple exclamation

marks strung together on the b&w forums:<p>

<i>"A single exclamation mark is usually sufficient. Try again."</i><p>

It didn't work. Within a week someone who was fond of using more exclamation marks than actual text was outraged.<p>

Personally, I like this stuff. They're like Easter Eggs in video games and movie DVDs. Hidden gems on

photo.net, waiting to be discovered.