You hit the lottery,- what photo gear would buy?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Set for life? </p>

<p>(a) I'd invest it, and retire. </p>

<p>(b) I'd travel-- maybe take a week or ten days every couple of months to make negatives, go to galleries, go to a workshop or two.</p>

<p>I doubt if I would rush out and buy more hardware. I have most of the stuff I need to make the photographs I want. What I would really like to have is more time to make pictures. If you think about it, I bet most people feel the same way.</p>

<p>I dare not dream of it - the reality suddenly hits me so hard ;)</p>

<p>D3 og D3x with 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200, and lots of travels. And of course, a maid, and a gardener to take care of the house, and I almost forgot, a secretary to write refusals to all those who will beg for my money....</p>

<p>Because I'd be wealthy I wouldn't need to work, hence I wouldn't need to buy digital gear. I'd buy a bunch of Leica RF stuff and maybe some SLRs just for fun. I'd also buy a drum scanner. What the heck!</p>

<p>I suppose I'd buy an M9 just to test my lenses with. ;-) I mean I'd use it but you know, if you can afford the luxury of using film (miles and miles of it) and like it, why not? My head always says digital but my heart now says film again.</p>

<p>I'd probably travel around taking photos of whatever I please. I'd be in London for the Olympic Games for sure - to photograph the city and its people more than the event.</p>

<p>I would pretty much just want some more black and white film, paper and chem; maybe some trips. But, since it's the magic, imaginary lottery:</p>

<ul>

<li>I would like to set up a fat endowment; buy some equipment, get some professors paid, keep the supplies rolling in, and get a small business incubator financed. Complete with some computer gurus to get some web stores setup.</li>

<li>Phone call to Kodak about my Kodachrome order. </li>

<li>Phone call to Kodak about how that's not going to happen to Ektachrome.</li>

<li>Phone call to Pentax about where is my 645D? And how about a fresh K1000?</li>

<li>16mm movie transfers.</li>

<li>Gasoline. </li>

<li>Air fare, car rentals and hotel bills. Iceland, Canada, Alaska and Antarctica would all be on the list. About four extended stops in Africa; going to need a real hot female French translator for that one. India. Japan, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand. Visit every outlying island territory of the United States; Guam and Puerto Rico would be early-on stops. Chile and Peru. </li>

<li>Purchase a modest condo penthouse where I did this one photo shoot; humble digs for a multimillionaire; gut the place into a photo studio with a view; small one room apartment for myself to crash because I get into runs where it's all the time. Probably site of my new office. Make this thing a modern day Rembrandt House. </li>

<li>Homeless shelter for men. Expect my photography to be on exhibit in the lobby. </li>

<li>Bank accounts for the immediate family. Small allowance for close friends and people who have helped me out over the years. Probably jobs with my endowment for their kids or something, to help them get started in the world. </li>

<li>About 96 sets of body armor per year for journalists who would like to go abroad under the auspices of my new photo agency. Film stills and text only, because you're not going to do the job of a four man news crew by recording video and sound. </li>

<li>Library endowment for books in foreign languages. </li>

<li>Did we run out of money yet? Lookin' like MC Hammer's early years over here. I think I've got Billy Joel's old accountant.</li>

<li>Feel guilty. Start selling off some of these useless luxuries. Try to put somebody's kid through school. </li>

<li>Community college scholarships for ex-cons. Get them out of prison, and get them some updated life skills. </li>

<li>We've got a lot of people with disease and starvation; exactly how many billion is this lottery?</li>

<li>Generally, a steady supply of black and white film and chem and paper. I don't personally need anything anymore; bought some tools in my 20s, and have some camera gear. I'm done; I'm set. Maybe need replacement jeans and boot once a year; how about that bar tab? </li>

</ul>

<p>And, I'm gonna need a new skylight filter about once every two years, because I fumble and drop these cameras.</p>

<p>Zuiko 50/1.2, 40/2, 21/2, 24/2, 28/2, 35/2, 100/2, 135/2.8, 180/2, 250/2, 350/2.8, 35-80/2.8 then I'll sweet talk Zuiko in to going back in producing a limited run of the prototype 85/1.4, that or if they have a few sitting on a shelf acquire one. Oh, also a pair of OM-3.<br>

I guess for the heck of it I'd try my hand at 645 with a fairly complete Pentax 645 system.<br>

Lastly I might try my hand at this 'digital' thing with a 5Dmkii and a few lenses.</p>