Yosemite in late December

andy-

I'm thinking of spending my Christmas holiday in Yosemite this year

and was hoping somebody out there could offer some input.

Transportation - I'd be flying in to SFO or Reno (which will probably

stop over at SFO anyway) and renting a vehicle. Anybody see any

problem with getting to/from the park at this time of the year with a

rented vehicle?

Photo ops - I'd like to get off the road and away from the typical hot

spots, what are the opportunities for a greenhorn skier (haven't skied

in 20 years) or snowshoer (never)?

Am I being optimistic in thinking that the park or lodgings will be

less crowded or booked for the holiday season? I'm not set on Yosemite

at this point and have considered other options but right now Yosemite

is the front runner.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Your only problem might be an active storm and/or chain requirements. Rent with chains if at all possible, buy or rent them before you hit the mountains if the rental doesn't come equipped. The road via Mariposa and up the Merced River is almost never closed. The other two west side routes will most likely be open as well. (An El Nino could result in lots of extra rain and perhaps higher elevation snow, washouts are always possible on any mountain route - not likely but it has happened.) Tioga Pass will be closed. Camping probably won't be a problem although valley sites are being (have been?) reduced. Out of valley camping areas aren't as convenient and may be water off, etc. Other lodging will be crowded. It's ski season and holidays. Book now if you are serious. Badger Pass Ski area is the jump-off point for the most active xc skiing and snowshoeing area. It's the high point and end point of the only open road into the high country. Rentals are available. (I am assuming that there are no drastic changes resulting from the new park plans affecting Badger Pass.) There are shuttles and usually parking available as well. Even though it's pretty much the only starting point, it's not difficult to get away from the crowds. Depending on snow levels, there may be xc/snowshoeing elsewhere as well.

Snowshoeing is basically just like hiking - I tried it for the first time in maine Christmas just past - it`s a hoot - and you can get away from the masses and out into the wilds that way too.

Yosemite will not have opened bookings for Christmas at this time - so as long as you jump on it when they do you should be fine. I think they open the bookings 3 months in advance or something.

I'm off for a 5 day trip on the 24th of this month - not related to your question - but I had to tell someone ;-)

The valley proper will be crowded. You need to book as soon as possible. You are better off flying into SFO since the East entrance will be closed. Weather and snow conditions vary significantly from year to year. It could be all covered with several feet of snow as it was this winter, or it could be bare ground as it was in 1999. One way or the other it will be cold. There may be ice on the trails even on the valley's floor.

In addition to some of the previous answers. The area north of the valley gets very little attention in general, and particularly in winter. The area around Crane flat is great for beginning skiing (if there is snow). Otherwise, you can just hike there. You may be able to hike the Yosemite Fall trail and get some interesting views into the valley.

Want to get a way from the crowd but still have the same scenery? Consider Sequoia NP.

• 1 month later...