Yongnuo transmitter/receiver questions

Discussion in 'Lighting Equipment' started by frank_gross, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I just received my Yongnuo RF-602TX Transmitter and RF-602RX Receiver.
    The manual's chinese to english translation isn't great -
    Transmitter - It's clear that the transmitter fits on the hotshoe of my Canon 5D, but...
    1. It also has a pc sync socket which I assume allows it to be used off the hotshoe and connect to the camera's pc sync trerminal.
    But what cable is available for this - is there a short cable with pc sync on either end ?
    2. Also, there is no on/off switch, as there is with the receiver, does it just work by the camera's on/off? And would this still work if it were not on the hotshoe ?
    Receiver - The receiver came with a little cable & adapter allowing it to connect to a studio flash unit. Understood.
    It has a hotshoe connector on top which allows my Canon 580 EXII to fit on it, but...
    1. The on/off switch isn't accesible once they are mounted to one another?
    2. There is a threaded connection terminal on the underside - can this facilitate connecting the receiver to the 580 with a cable instead of via hotshoe - and if so, which cable
    Thanks for any clarification
    Frank

2. I just got my Yongnuo. Probably the worst English translation I have ever seen.
    1. It also has a pc sync socket which I assume allows it to be used off the hotshoe and connect to the camera's pc sync trerminal.
    But what cable is available for this - is there a short cable with pc sync on either end ?
    You will need to buy a pc-male to pc-male cable if you want to do this.

2. Also, there is no on/off switch, as there is with the receiver, does it just work by the camera's on/off? And would this still work if it were not on the hotshoe ?
    Don't know, I hope someone else will answer this.

Receiver - The receiver came with a little cable & adapter allowing it to connect to a studio flash unit. Understood.
    It has a hotshoe connector on top which allows my Canon 580 EXII to fit on it, but...
    1. The on/off switch isn't accesible once they are mounted to one another?
    Use a small screwdriver, or buy another cheap manual flash (most won't interfere).

2. There is a threaded connection terminal on the underside - can this facilitate connecting the receiver to the 580 with a cable instead of via hotshoe - and if so, which cable
    The bottom of the receiver connects to a 1/4-20 screw on a tripod or light stand.
    The back connector on the receiver accepts the supplied cable that has a mini-plug on the other end (goes to a flash). They also gave me an adapter for a 1/4 plug. There are at least 3 other connectors used on flashes. Sync, same as on cameras; Vivitar/Minolta mini-plug; Household socket. If you have one of these you will need to buy or make an adapter.

3. Thanks.
    Ok so I'd need a short male-male pc cord to use the transmitter off the hotshoe.
    Hopefully someone will know if it will switch on/off if it's not on the hotshoe?
    The Receiver's connector and adaptor fit my studio flash ok, no problem.
    I just want to know how, and with what cable, I can connect the Receiver with the Canon 580EXII, if I don't want to connect them directly with the Receiver's hotshoe
    So the bottom of the receiver's 1/4-20 screw is just for a tripod or light stand - no syncing ?

4. Frank -
    Transmitter:
    1. Yes this is supposed to allow for off-hotshoe wired remote trigger (simultaneous with flash) I haven't tried this setup but the connection is a PC terminal. You can accomplish the same thing by triggering the camera with one of the receivers and its N3 cord)
    2. The transmitter only activates when the button is pushed so no there is no on/off. I would suggest remove the batteries for longer storage to save drain.
    Receiver:
    1. Yup, somewhat poor design (depends on what flash you use though). Remember, entry level!
    2. From what I can tell the theaded port on the bottom looks to be the same PC connection as on the front of the transmitter. (however it does also fit a tripod screw if you're so inclined)
    James

5. Follow up - the transmitter does work off-camera (and pretty well). I fire my setup remotely and can do it from a fair ways away.

6. I just want to know how, and with what cable, I can connect the Receiver with the Canon 580EXII, if I don't want to connect them directly with the Receiver's hotshoe
    You need to buy or make an adapter: mini-plug-female to pc-male. I have never seen such an adapter, I think you will need to make one.

7. Another unrelated tip: If you use a flash meter, buy a second transmitter and set it to the same code. Hold it in one hand (flash meter in the other) and fire the flashes.

8. If a flash has a PC socket, then YongNuo "PC to RF-602 RX" (not the exact product name) cable, to fit one of ends in the odd, 3-pin, receiver port on the flat-short side, can be used.