Yongnuo transmitter/receiver questions

frank_gross

<p>I just received my Yongnuo RF-602TX Transmitter and RF-602RX Receiver.<br>

The manual's chinese to english translation isn't great -<br>

Transmitter - It's clear that the transmitter fits on the hotshoe of my Canon 5D, but...<br>

1. It also has a pc sync socket which I assume allows it to be used off the hotshoe and connect to the camera's pc sync trerminal.<br>

But what cable is available for this - is there a short cable with pc sync on either end ?<br>

2. Also, there is no on/off switch, as there is with the receiver, does it just work by the camera's on/off? And would this still work if it were not on the hotshoe ?<br>

Receiver - The receiver came with a little cable & adapter allowing it to connect to a studio flash unit. Understood.<br>

It has a hotshoe connector on top which allows my Canon 580 EXII to fit on it, but...<br>

1. The on/off switch isn't accesible once they are mounted to one another?<br>

2. There is a threaded connection terminal on the underside - can this facilitate connecting the receiver to the 580 with a cable instead of via hotshoe - and if so, which cable<br>

Thanks for any clarification</p>

<p>Frank</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I just got my Yongnuo. Probably the worst English translation I have ever seen.</p>

<p><em>1. It also has a pc sync socket which I assume allows it to be used off the hotshoe and connect to the camera's pc sync trerminal.</em><br /><em>But what cable is available for this - is there a short cable with pc sync on either end ?</em><br>

You will need to buy a pc-male to pc-male cable if you want to do this.<br>

<br /><em>2. Also, there is no on/off switch, as there is with the receiver, does it just work by the camera's on/off? And would this still work if it were not on the hotshoe ?</em><br>

Don't know, I hope someone else will answer this.<br>

<br /><em>Receiver - The receiver came with a little cable & adapter allowing it to connect to a studio flash unit. Understood.</em><br /><em>It has a hotshoe connector on top which allows my Canon 580 EXII to fit on it, but...</em><br /><em>1. The on/off switch isn't accesible once they are mounted to one another?</em><br>

Use a small screwdriver, or buy another cheap manual flash (most won't interfere).<br>

<br /><em>2. There is a threaded connection terminal on the underside - can this facilitate connecting the receiver to the 580 with a cable instead of via hotshoe - and if so, which cable</em><br>

The bottom of the receiver connects to a 1/4-20 screw on a tripod or light stand.<br>

The back connector on the receiver accepts the supplied cable that has a mini-plug on the other end (goes to a flash). They also gave me an adapter for a 1/4 plug. There are at least 3 other connectors used on flashes. Sync, same as on cameras; Vivitar/Minolta mini-plug; Household socket. If you have one of these you will need to buy or make an adapter.</p>

<p>Thanks.<br>

Ok so I'd need a short male-male pc cord to use the transmitter off the hotshoe.</p>

<p>Hopefully someone will know if it will switch on/off if it's not on the hotshoe?</p>

<p>The Receiver's connector and adaptor fit my studio flash ok, no problem.</p>

<p>I just want to know how, and with what cable, I can connect the Receiver with the Canon 580EXII, if I don't want to connect them directly with the Receiver's hotshoe</p>

<p>So the bottom of the receiver's 1/4-20 screw is just for a tripod or light stand - no syncing ?</p>

<p>Frank -<br>

Transmitter:<br>

1. Yes this is supposed to allow for off-hotshoe wired remote trigger (simultaneous with flash) I haven't tried this setup but the connection is a PC terminal. You can accomplish the same thing by triggering the camera with one of the receivers and its N3 cord)<br>

2. The transmitter only activates when the button is pushed so no there is no on/off. I would suggest remove the batteries for longer storage to save drain.<br>

Receiver:<br>

1. Yup, somewhat poor design (depends on what flash you use though). Remember, entry level!<br>

2. From what I can tell the theaded port on the bottom looks to be the same PC connection as on the front of the transmitter. (however it does also fit a tripod screw if you're so inclined)<br>

James</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>I just want to know how, and with what cable, I can connect the Receiver with the Canon 580EXII, if I don't want to connect them directly with the Receiver's hotshoe</em></p>

<p>You need to buy or make an adapter: mini-plug-female to pc-male. I have never seen such an adapter, I think you will need to make one.</p>