Yongnuo speedlight compatibility

DrBen

<p>Can I use a Yongnuo 560 II on the hot shoe of a Nikon D5100? The camera's user manual says, <strong>"</strong><em>Use only Nikon flash units</em>. Negative voltages or voltages over 250 V applied to the accessory shoe could not only prevent normal operation, but damage the sync circuitry of the camera or flash."<br>

Am I really limited to Nikon flash units?<br /></p>

<p> </p>

<p>No, but if you do *fry* the circuit in your D5100, it will be a fairly expensive lesson. If you get a Wein voltage-protection device to go between the 560 flash and the camera, you lessen the chance of damage.</p>

<p>The other *little thing* is the Nikon D5100 may only work well with your camera in 'M' mode, as the Nikon flash system will not respond correctly in all modes with your 560 unit.</p>

<p>-</p>

<p>That warning is because many flashes from the 80's and earlier, before the days of widespread digital, use high voltages. The Yongnuo 560 II is a contemporary flash. They, along with various other third-party flashes like Metz, Nissin, Quantaray Sigma, etc. I think Nissin makes good flashes, they have supposedly been an OEM manufacturer for the camera companies for years, and Metz is good too, as they've been in flashes for a long time. A quick google search will verify whether the flash is compatible, as Nikon cameras can accept up to 250V trigger voltage flash units. The Yongnuo flashes are a whopping FOUR volts, so saying that you're well within spec would be an understatement. Use it without issue.</p>

<p>There is a link to PDF manual of this flash on eBay, but eBay links are not allowed here. Search for it.</p>

<p>While it will not damage your camera (perhaps?), your question about compatibility remains unanswered.<br>

There is much more to it than just sliding it in a camera hot shoe.</p>

<p>The doc in link to the pdf manual does not say much.<br>

See what your flash documentation says about flash modes, and usage.</p>

<p>See if your camera recognizes the flash ? and what flash mode and camera mode will work together?</p>

<p>I believe people use this flash with success on Nikon DSLRs.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>So far as compatibility with the camera is concerned my experience of the Yongnuo 460 II is that it is entirely manual (but I knew that before I bought it). So far as I'm aware the 560 is very similar. The camera does not even know it has a flash attached. You set the f-number on the camera depending on the flash's guide number and the power output you have the flash set to. This is the way we all used to work before the advent of more modern flashes which are controlled by the camera. If you're using it in fairly controlled situations it's just fine but if you want to be more spontaneous you may need to look elsewhere.</p>

<p>That flash is safe to use, but is a manual flash. If you are just starting out, look for one of the TTL options. Think it's the 467. Preferably spend a bit more on something like a 2nd hand Nikon SB-600, the Yongnuo 565 or a Nissin or Metz unit. I use a Nissin 622Mk2 regularly and it's alot of bang for the buck.</p>

<p>+1 for the Nikon SB-600. Works great on my D5100. In TTL mode the camera uses its flash meter to measure the flash output and adjust it for correct exposure. It pretty much just works in all modes with no adjustments necessary.</p>

<p>With a fully manual flash, you are going to have to work in Manual mode, turn Auto ISO off, measure the flash to subject distance and compute the aperture based on the ISO and flash guide number. For each shot! By the time you are done the subject may have quit waiting and moved on...</p>

<p>Flash compatibility issues have been covered in many previous posts, both on this forum and in "Lighting".<br>

Nikon's blanket statement is that all their current cameras fitted with a hotshoe can withstand up to 250 Volts on the hotshoe trigger contact. Also any flash made after 1992 should conform with the ISO 10330 standard and have a trigger voltage of 24 volts or below.</p>

<p>Here's Nikon's answer to the question "Do Nikon cameras conform to ISO 10330?"</p>

<blockquote>

<p>All current Nikon cameras that are equipped with a Hot Shoe flash bracket conform to this standard . Do not use flash equipment that uses negative or voltage over 250v with Nikon cameras, as this may damage circuitry within the camera. (Please check the trigger voltage with the manufacturer of the flash equipment before use with your Nikon camera).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In short: The YongNuo 560 II is perfectly safe to fit to a Nikon hotshoe. That's what it was made for. </p>