Yikes...local photo lab might stop developing film

I'm very lucky to actually have a good 1-hour photo lab literally just down the street from me (I actually rode my bike

there one time to drop off film). I've been there several times now, and they've gotten to know me. I just dropped off

another 35mm film, and they made a comment that they get very few customers with film anymore. In fact, they had

the machine turned off, so they said my pictures would be ready later this afternoon. They did NOT actually say

they were going to stop developing film and for now I can probably still take my film there...but I can see where things

are going. If they are getting so few film customers that they actually turn the machine off, then they're probably

losing money and it's only a matter of time before they will stop developing film.

I used to take my film to the 1-hour photo lab at Walmart, but the last time I got film developed there, they scratched

my negatives and there was a very visible line in several of the pictures. So forget that. I am willing to mail my film

out if I absolutely have to (and I know I probably will eventually). But I would really prefer to try another local lab.

Does anyone know of a good photo lab in southern California, preferably in the Los Angeles area? Actually, I live in

San Bernardino, so if there is a good one that is closer to where I live, that would be better.

Like I said, I would be willing to mail out my film if necessary, but I would at least like to send it to one in southern

California so that it doesn't take as long. I'll send slide film and movie film to Dwayne's Photo, but for color print film

I'm looking for something kind of local. And I really want a lab that's doing well and has enough steady film business

that they're comitted to film.

Any suggestions?

And please no doom and gloom about how film is "disappearing" and no "Film VS Digital" comments. (It's not

disappearing anyway...I ASSUMED 1-hour photo labs would eventually stop developing film. That doesn't mean

there aren't plenty of other more professional labs out there). I'm just hoping someone can suggest another good

photo lab in southern California that does steady business with film. That's all.

Thanks!

Chris,

My only suggestion to you for 1 hour processing would be to find the closest Walgreens, make friends with someone behind the counter at the photo lab, and make them better at their job. I don't know if the place YOU used to go to was Walgreens or not, but between the three major drug stores we have in the area (CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens), Walgreens seems to be the best. I don't include Longs Drugs because I hear they got bought out by CVS.

Anyhow, thats what I did, because Wal Mart and Costco have given me nothing but poor prints, with the added bonus of bath marks, scratches and poorly cut negs.

I don't know of a pro lab in San Bernardino. The closest one I know of is in Riverside, but I don't know if they do one-hour.

Living in the Inland Empire has its DISadvantages.

No pro labs. No real camera/phot stores.

Well, it doesn't even have to be a 1-hour lab. I'm just looking for any good, reliable lab in southern California with reasonable prices. I'm willing to pay a little more for better quality and reliability. The last time I was at Freestyle Photo Supplies, I noticed they have a lab that they send film out to, and I picked up an envelope...but now I can't find it.

Stephany, do you know if that place has a website, and will they do mail order processing? Northridge would just be too far away for me to drive there.