Yet another pricing question - Usage licence for a University

<p>I'm the photo editor for my university newspaper. I put out a photo feature showcasing the interior of a new building that we are constructing. Shortly after publication someone from the Public Affairs department contacted me and they want to know if they can reach a deal with me to use the photos to advertise the new building, and university in general.<br>

The use will be for the web, and perhaps in an annual promotional magazine.</p>

<p>I'm thinking somewhere in the $20-50/image range would be appropriate... but that would be just off the top of my head. Should I ask for me if an image is going to be showcased in a magazine that will print in a run of say 5000 copies?<br>

thanks!<br>

-Peter</p>

<p>Peter:<br /><br />That's incredibly low. Without more info on what they want to use the image for it's hard to give any accurate pricing help. Naturally it also makes a difference if we're talking Princeton or Victor's Vocational Uni in Vizibeckistan (yes I know that's not really a country - it's an example).<br /><br />The easiest thing for you would be to issue them an RF license meaning they can use the image for whatever they want aside from selling/licensing it to anyone else. Unless you can get them to give you some more usage details. For something like this I'd start looking at a RF license for maybe $500 to $750 or thereabouts. Then again, more if the image is hard to replicate, maybe less if very easy to replicate.</p>

<p>Iincredibly low eh? show's what I know! From what I've gather so far it does indeed sound like an RF license is what they are after. This is one of the "elite" universities in Canada, and the images are of their highest profile, brand new nano technology research building.<br>

And I do hear Vizibeckistan is quite nice to photograph this time of year, Mikael ;)</p>

<p>I certainly do have the rights, despite it being "for" the university newspaper. I used my own equipment and I don't get paid for my services. Plus I've told the paper's Editor in Chief about being approached and he fully supports my endeavors.</p>

<p>In this type of situation would you expect that they (public affairs) would be the ones to provide the contract?</p>

<p>"I certainly do have the rights, despite it being "for" the university newspaper. I used my own equipment and I don't get paid for my services."</p>

<p>But, there is always a but, the University and the company that designed the 'new' building have rights as well. Without a property release (should one need such a release in Canada?) -- you have a fine set of images of a property that is designed and owned by someone else.</p>

<p>Photography is a business: most agreements (like a contract) have two parties in the same area of getting something or an exchange of values.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jerry has a point: since the building is located on private grounds (university grounds are considered private grounds, right? At least in some countries they are), then you may run aground with rights' issues with the building's designers and the university itself (assuming they will research the issue as well - something they do not seem to have done for the time being). I'm not saying you definitely will, but it is something you should check...</p>

<p>Otherwise, I'd sell them specific licenses for the two uses mentioned. Something small for the low-res image on the website and then something more on the full-res image for the annual magazine. The latter should be determined based on (a) how big the photo will appear (quarter-page, half, full page, spread, etc), (b) where on the publication it'll appear (cover, back cover, middle, anywhere else, etc), © the total number of copies to be printed and finally (d) whether distribution is local, national, international etc.</p>

<p>Congrats and good luck...;-)</p>

<p>OK folks, before we start going down the "release" road yet again. Here are the facts as presented by Peter.<br />1. The university in question is building a new building.<br />2. The PR people <em>at that university</em> wants to purchase usage rights from Peter.<br />3. Why on earth should they need a release from anyone when they are part of the university that owns the building? Please explain.<br /><br />Property releases are very seldom actually required. If the PR dept wanted the image for an ad that might be one thing but a magazine and on the web site? Hardly so, unless the rules are very different in Canada compared to the US.<br /><br />Maybe one of the many fine legal minds that frequent this forum can take a stab at explaining property releases again? There is a lot of information on this topic available simply by searching the forum.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Peter, I shoot for another high profile university. The University Photographer recommended that I, being a student (and I assume you are as well), give the event and architecture photography on an unlimited basis, once they have hired me on an hourly basis. Last I can recall I shot for 2.5 hours one of our new buildings. I charged my flat hourly rate and gave the university unlimited rights....</p>

<p>...I know it's kind of painful, but it's better than having no business at all...</p>