Yes, I am desperately searching for..

dario_cestaro

<p>Ok people, It's nice to be here!<br>

I think this is the right place to ask you a tricky question!<br />I am looking for a specific camera.<br /><br />It has to be with all those characteristics:<br /><br />1: compact 35mm<br />2: manual rewinder<br />3: bulb mode for long exposures<br />4: built in flash<br>

5: manual settings would be better<br /><br />Any idea?<br>

Does exist something like that?<br /><br />Thank you <br /><br />Dario</p>

<p>FWIW, here is an image of the Rollei 35 with the electronic flash made for it. It makes a very compact unit and the flash works well with the camera. On two separate occasions, this Rollei saved me from being camera-less when my SLR failed in the field.<br /> <a href="https://www.cameraquest.com/rol35se.htm">Cameraquest</a> gives the dimensions as 3 13/16" long, 2 5/8th high, with a body depth of 1 1/4". The flash about doubles that in "height". Note that it takes a full-sized (24x36mm) image on 35mm film, not a half-frame image.</p>

<p>It has in most versions a built-in, but match needle meter. The camera works just fine without the meter, which requires a battery of a type no longer available (although zinc-air cells will work, just not so long).</p><div>00cs2n-551572084.jpg.f0e17abd24dc9beae42d59d882b469cd.jpg</div>

<p>Nikon FM3a will meet all of your requirements except for the built in flash, and is the very definition of a 'modern film camera'. Combine it with the often overlooked SB-30, and you'll be set. The SB-30 is very compact, light-weight, and folds down over the top of the prism when not in use. </p>

<p>The caveat to my answer is that you'll pay out the nose for a FM3a.</p>

<p>I'll second the FG. I used to own one and I didn't even think about it. Pare it with the SB-30, and you'll be set. It's also a very lightweight camera.</p>

<p>Extra bonus is that you should be able to pick up a very good condition model for <$50, while the FM3a will cost 10x that.</p>

<p>Thanks guys,<br /> I said it was tricky...<br /> I appreciate all your answers and suggestions but we are not even closer,<br /> I sort it out all those cameras:<br>

Olympus 35 sp<br>

Olympus 35 RC<br>

Yashica gtn<br>

Konica auto s3<br>

Yashica Electro 35 GT<br>

Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII<br>

Canonet QL17GIII</p>

<p>All of those are with manual rewinder, bulb, 35mm and manual but unfortunately without a built-in-flash,on the other hand there is this camera, not manual but it has all the other characteristics that I need:<br>

Lomo colorsplash!!!<br>

Don't worry, I refuse to buy that toy, anyway, we need to build a camera like the one I need, we can make some money out of it, kidding..<br>

The point is, I really don't need quality and when I say "manual" something like (sun, partially cloud, cloudy) for aperture settings and iso settings for iso...could be enough! Don't take me wrong, I am a cruise ship photographer and I am into photography since years, but I only need to experiment something.<br>

Thanks again! Dario</p>

<p>Getting both built in flash and manual rewind into the same camera really limits the possibilities.</p>

<p>The Canon A35 Datelux may do the trick, if you can find one. I've never seen one. Built in pop-up flash, manual advance and rewind. No idea whether it offered full shutter speed control including bulb. <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/series_other.html">Canon's history site may offer tips to other cameras</a>.</p>

<p>The nearest I can think of that I've actually used were: (1) the Olympus XA-3 or XA-4 with small detachable accessory flash. No bulb setting but they will handle long exposures in auto mode; (2) the first Pentax compact 35mm camera with autofocus - I forget the model name, but it had manual film advance and rewind, and autoexposure but no bulb setting.</p>

<p>It'll be easier to buy a compact rangefinder or similar camera with hotshoe and add a small flash.</p>

<p>I have an Olympus PS200 flash, the smallest flash unit I've ever found that takes a pair of AA batteries. However it has some limitations: it fits the hotshoe vertically, making it high profile despite the small size; it's full output only, no auto mode, no adjustable manual mode. It was designed for 1970s era compact rangefinders like the 35 RC that used distance based guide number flash, a clever solution for that era: Set a control on the camera to the guide number for the flash; adjusting the focus ring automatically adjusts the aperture to suit the flash output. The PS200 is fairly hard to find and most flashes that take a pair of ordinary AA batteries are larger but also offer basic non-TTL auto thyristor flash, which is handy.</p>

<p>I also had a Sears branded two-AA battery auto flash that was reasonably compact and sat horizontally on the camera for a lower profile. It finally wore out.</p>

<p>The next closest thing I've found is a Nikon SB-10, which is about the same size as a Canonet. It takes four AA batteries and has a pivoting foot so the flash can be high profile or low profile. Very handy, not rare or expensive, but also not particularly small compared with the compact 35mm cameras you mentioned.</p>

<p>I really suggest you look at the Nikon SB-30 flash. It takes a single CR123A battery, and easily fits into a pocket. It's about 1/3 of the size of the SB-24 -- 28 series. And it folds forward 90 degrees, so sits above the prism on my FM3a.</p>

<p>The built-in flash is the problem. From your list I would go with the Olympus RC or SP and find a small flash unit. Both of these cameras are great with full manual or shutter priority, decent rangefinders, and really good flashmatic system. The SP has the better lens but it is larger and heavier. The RC will fit in a pocket better and shows both shutter and aperture in the viewfinder instead of EV in the SP. Both have bulb mode. Also both can be used in full manual without a battery (both use old 3.5V mercury cells, but alternatives are out there).<br>

Of course the XA or a Minox EL/GT would be fine too, but I don't think either one has bulb mode. However there is a cheat with the XA to go to up to 30 sec.</p>

Built in flash is a autofocus-era feature. You won't

find any manual-wind camera with one. They don't exist.

About as close as you can get would be some "companion"

flashes that are small and attach to the camera.

There's one that connects to the side of an Olympus XA,

and one that slips onto the hot shoe of the Canonet G3

QL17. These work by "guide-number" using the focus

distance to get the aperture setting pretty much perfect

much better than the automatic on-camera flash. The

results will still have a nearly completely black

background even if the subject is exposed correctly.

There is no escaping the laws of physics: darkness is

dark! Tripod shots are much better for night

photography than flash, if the subject isn't moving.

Please don't complain when you ask for a purple squirrel

and people find you black ones.

<blockquote>

<p>"Built in flash is a autofocus-era feature. You won't find any manual-wind camera with one. They don't exist."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's what I thought at first, but a nagging doubt led me back to the <a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/series_other.html?lang=us">Canon historical site</a>. Sure enough, in 1977 Canon offered the A35 Datelux and A35F with rangefinder focus, manual film advance and rewind, <em><strong>and built-in pop-up flash</strong></em>. The flash was a fixed guide number 12, using the same distance based system as many external flash units on rangefinders of that era - focusing was linked to the diaphragm and adjusted the f/stop as needed. However I can't tell from the specs provided whether a bulb setting was available. If I'm deciphering the specs correctly, the auto-exposure ranged from EV 9-17, with a slowest shutter speed of 1/60th. Presumably Canon intended for flash to be used in dimmer light.</p>

<p>My earliest Canons of that compact rangefinder/viewfinder type were the new model Canonet 28, which needed an outboard flash for distance based flash. The new Canonet 28 (metal body) immediately preceded the A35F and Datelux, which was followed by the noisy AF35M "Autoboy" with ridiculously loud autofocus and film advance/rewind. In some respects the A35F/Datelux was a better camera, but apparently it was discontinued much more quickly than the Canonets to make room for the autofocus era. My AF35M finally died of leaky batteries and I didn't really miss it. Good lens and capable of good photos but too noisy for discrete snapshots.</p>

<p>Now guys!<br>

I've find the camera I need! I am happy and it's also very cheap, it's the<br>

Agfa Silette F (purple squirrel, nevermind)<br>

But the question is:<br>

Is that a single use bulb light flash?<br>

Do I have to change the flash every shot or maybe not?</p>

<p>The Pentax model Lex mentioned is PC35 AF, which we coincidentally discussed at greater length in <a href="/modern-film-cameras-forum/00csWK">this other current thread</a>.</p>

<p>It offers autoexposure & autofocus, and has built-in flash but lacks the bulb mode. No manual settings other than manual ISO and a 1.5EV backlight compensation button.</p>

<p>As others mentioned, the disappearance of manual modes (and bulb) on compact cameras coincided with the appearance of built-in flash and motorization. Cameramakers traded bulky mechanical linkages for more flexibly-arranged electronic bits, and filled space with motors and batteries powerful enough to charge a flash and operate those motors for advance and rewind.</p>

<p>I think there may have been a few models with motorized advance but manual rewind. No idea if any of these models met your other criteria.</p>