Yes! 28/2 Ai-S

ilkka_nissila

I finally got my hands on the 28mm f/2 Ai-S in a mint but pricey copy at Grays

of Westmister in London.

It seems to work beautifully on my F100 and I'm looking forward to using it on

a D3 as a fast wide for indoor photography in the near future. I'm wondering if

anyone has used it on a Canon or a Kodak FF DSLR, and if the image quality in

the corners was okay? I'm happy using it as a normal on D200 and wide on 35mm

film, but still it would be nice to know about the FX/35mm DSLR situation.

I have to say that the manual focusing is so much easier on this lens than the

AF primes which I have. Long smooth movement and the wide open image is crisp

and easy to focus using.

The shop also had lots of other mint manual focus stuff which I unfortunately

am not equipped to buy at this time. Hopefully the D3 will work well with PC

Nikkors and some of these nice wide angle primes Nikon has made over the years.

I barely missed the Noct-Nikkor they had sold on Thursday. Pity ;-)

One should not extrapolate findings on "FF" Canon/Kodak cameras to the D3. Sensor technology is very different although the format is virtually the same. We might be in for some surprises, but time will show.

I have used my 28/2 AI for decades. Always being one of my favourite Nikkors, it continues to produce excellent results on my D2x and hopefully on the D3 as well. I'll make sure this lens is amongst the first I run on the D3 later this autumn.

(by the way, I paid less than $100 for my 28/2 in mint condition many moons ago, less than $150 for my Noct AI. Times (and prices) have certainly changed since then).

Gratulations Ilkka. One of my best lenses. I used it from the time when the first copies came to California way back when I used to live there. Took it to the desert on the F body many times. Nice to shoot into the sun. Also excellent including close up objects into a larger scene. Now I got the newer AIS copy with a late serial number. If I ever run across one for 100$ in mint condition I get a backup :-)Here in Germany these run more like 150EU on ebay.

Cheers

Walter

OO - even the scan must be old - I can see the striping marks of my first scanner. The image must be taken about 30+ years ago.<div>00MU0f-38386184.jpg.2889a8c67ca5c8987ac82522f42d07ef.jpg</div>

• 3 months later...
One more Bjorn-influenced purchase here. I am buying it mainly to supplement by 24/2.8 AI for those "in the sun" shots, of which I seem to do quite a few. I just bought one off FleaBay for $140, cosmetically rough, but is supposed to be optically good. We shall see. With all those MFs I have been getting after purchasing a D200 I should probably invest in a KatzEye