Yellowstone

michael_dunning2

Haven't been up there this fall, but typically the bears are still up high fattening up on white bark pine nuts. Historically I've had zero luck with wolves in the fall, so I can't help you with them. The elk rut should be in full glory right now. Yellowstone doesn't have much in the way of fall colors. Very few Aspens and a lotta Lodgepole Pine. The best place for Aspens is the road between Mammoth and Tower Junction. Otherwise, head to Grand Tetons for an Aspen display second to none.

Just got back. It was wonderful! The elk are full into their rut, bugling constantly. There have been three elk fights in three days that I know of (I was lucky enough to see the one yesterday). The best place for elk is between Madison junction and West Yellowston, at least 7-8 bulls there. I didn't see any wolves or bears, but talked to some people who saw two bears in Grand Teton (which by the way has beautiful fall colors). Have fun on your trip, it will be amazing!

I have not been up there lately and good luck emailing the Rangers about Park conditions. I can tell you that just below Yellowstone in Grand Teton there were lots of aspens when I went a few years ago and of course Mt. Moran is majestic any time of the year. I worked in Yellowstone during the summer of '87 and it was great! You could probably get some good elk, bison and waterfowl photos. Best of luck on the photo trip!

Don