Yellowish horizontal stripes on Fuji Frontier prints

I've noticed two yellowish stripes appearing along the longer side of

prints from Fuji Frontier (model 350, if I recall correctly). This is

especially noticeable in highlights and in areas with more or less

continuous areas of same color (especially snow and sky).

I have absolutely the same problem with my obsolete Acer 2740 film

scanner -- supposedly this is caused by a dirty lamp inside the

scanner. Does the same thing happen in the minilab's internal

scanner?

One more piece of the puzzle. I noticed these stripes on prints from

Fuji Superia Reala 100. A friend who shot along with me pretty much

the same snow scenes on Kodak ProFoto (a cheap professional film sold

outside developed countries) had nothing similar in his prints

(printed at the same lab, maybe a day after mine prints).

The image I'm attaching shows a somewhat exaggerated view of what

these stripes look like -- actually this is a scan from my film

scanner (with boosted contrast and saturation to make the stripes

more visible), but it's the same effect I see on prints.<div>007ljf-17169784.jpg.8c55b6872c0e078f10cfaff0df44c367.jpg</div>

Is it on the negatives as well? If it is, it might be a light leak in your camera. Or it could be a developing problem( though that would normally cause the whole negative to look like that).

If it's only on the print, take them back and complain. They should at least be willing to reprint the roll for you.

Polly want a Frontier? I'm surprised that Scott Eaton didn't rush to defend his vaunted "toy minilab" (Come to think of it, "toy" and "minilab" seem to be redundant.)

Anyway, most likely it's dirty rollers in the roller transport paper processor. Double-check the negs, and make them reprint the order.

The Frontier uses either a laser or LED to expose the paper; and if there is any dimming (like you see on the ends of a fluorescent tube) on the edges, it would be reversed and be brighter, not dimmer.

Most likely it's a poorly maintained roller transport paper processor.

<< Polly want a Frontier? I'm surprised that Scott Eaton didn't rush to defend his vaunted "toy minilab" (Come to think of it, "toy" and "minilab" seem to be redundant.) >>

Dan, there is no reason to troll like this on these or any forums. Try to act like an adult.

Dan, Alex;

If this shows up on the negative, it can't be a printer or processor problem. Gotta be in the negative exposure or processing step.

If it has some patterning following the sprocket holes, it could be agitation, otherwise I would bet on dirty rollers.

Whatever, it is ungood. Go back and complain.

Good luck.

Ron Mowrey

I will repeat what I posted on another thread which was getting out of hand:<P>

Threads containing gratuitous remarks and comments only serve to fill the original posters e-mail inbox and the archives with junk. Responses should pertain to the original question in an as accurate and helpful manner as possible. Bickering back and forth, sniping and other abusive behavior is not acceptable. Hard facts or data as well as opinions based on years of experience and use are welcome. When opinions differ, it is up to the original poster to use his own healthy skepticism and judgement. I intend to keep a tight rein on this forum and not allow it to descend into a silly chat room.

James G. Dainis

Ron,

The Frontier is a leader card (roller transport) film processor, so I doubt agitation would be an issue.

On the other hand, where I work part time I use a 32 inch RA4 roller transport processor; and sometimes when they run lots of 10 inch paper down the middle for a day, then start up the next morning (or Monday morning with 30 inch paper from the Epsilon, I see the same yellowish-brown striping along the edges.

Alex, others;

In the original post, Alex, you say that the sample came from a film scanner, but the streak shows up in prints.

I take this to mean that the streak is present in the film. That is why I made the comment I did, because the implication of the last sentence in your post is that the streak is also visible if you scan in film and therefore is in the film.

If that is the case, then the printing stage is not at fault, IMO. On the other hand, if I have misunderstood this, then the fault can be in the printing step, and I agree with Dan.

Could you clarify this please?

Thanks.

Ron Mowrey

My lab has a 370 and a 390. Our 390 is our 6" work horse. Our 370 does mostly 4" and 8" with 6" only for CD's. Only one pic and dpc units. Anywho, on our 390 we have to run "test patterns" once a week to control just what you are seeing. Make the lab do it over.

You can clean all you want but if you don't run the size..

If you're doing that kind of volume, you should look at a 50 inch printer like a Lambda, LightJet or Chromira, with packaging software -- This way, your lab can print posters, albums and enlargements as well as generic 4x6 prints...