Yellow filter for color photography

<p>Hello,<br>

I just found and got Toshiba Y48 Yellow filter that I will use for my Nikkor 18-55mm DX VR lens. I understand that Yellow filters are for B&W photography.<br>

Can anyone let me know the advantages/disadvantages of using Yellow filter for color photography. And also, what is its main purpose.<br>

Thanks and regards,<br>

Riz</p>

<p>rizwan, put the camera on black and white mode and shoot with your yellow filter. then compare the result without the filter. in black and white there is quite a noticeable difference, however, the advent of digital cameras and photoshop has eliminated the need for these types of filters if you are able to use photoshop. obviously, if you are a film user and have your negatives developed and printed in a pro or local lab, it is useful to have the filter if you need increased contrast. i often end up using an orange filter for really old black and white film, although my old is about seven or eight years old!</p>

<p>I don't shoot digital, so this is just based on what I've been told, but apparently shooting with colored filters on digital cameras significantly reduces the information available in the final image. This has to do with the fact that there are photosites dedicated to red blue and green. If you put a red filter on a digital camera, you basically cut out all of the information available from 1/3rd of the photosites, which will raise grain and produce an effect which in general could be done and undone digitally much easier. For B&W film, it is a must-have as it produces stunning effects with skies and gives a warm "glow" to people's skin that is quite luminous.</p>