Yashica T4 large prints?

You can print any size you want. What is critical is the viewing distance and the dots per inch (DPI). If you chose, for instance, billboard size, you would have few DPI, but your viewing distance would generally be 50 ft or greater so the dots blend. Many people find 180-280 DPI sufficient for much of their work which will be printed in more normal sizes say for gallery viewing..

Hey, was hoping someone could help me on how large you can print from a Yashica T4 using 35mm ISO400 film with a .tif scan with dimensions 4492 x 6774? Thanks to anyone that can help.

Really depends on the dpi of your scan. I just had a print made of a scanned slide film to 20x30 and regularly get similar sized Tri-X prints made. Those are also from scans. The trick is having enough dpi for the size you want. As SCL noted, the viewing distance also plays a part with the quality of the print. I might add that ones taste is also important. Some folks hate grain while others love it.

The "Actual Size" (surrounded by the red square) in Mac OSX Preview expands the image to maximum size before the image pixelates. Windows, I should imagine, would have an equivalent symbol. If a print is printed larger than this "Actual Size", it will look pixelated like it does on your computer screen.

2052837429_Screenshot2019-10-09at8_59_26PM.png.5b28fa671a02ed27131855e7291fe5d2.png

Your scan resolution is more than the film resolution, but to answer your question ...

Shutterfly Help Center

says that 3 megapixels is enough for 11x14 up to 20x30.

It is normal to view larger prints from larger distances, so it isn't linear

with size.

They recommend 8mp for larger than 20x30, such as 24x36,

or photo blankets.

For Tri-X:

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/prod/files/files/resources/f4017_TriX.pdf

the MTF graph goes up to 70 cycles/mm, for about 3000x5000 pixels.

How close to that you actually get from a scanner, is harder to say.

-- glen

I suppose you scanned way beyond the film resolution, to generate that 30MP TIFF? If that is the case, I'd judge the still good looking magnification factor on screen, multiply my pixels by that zoom factor and aim for a 150ppi or 60p/cm print.

There is an effect called grain aliasing, where at some resolutions the high (spatial) frequencies from the grains are partially resolved, generating unusual looks.

(That is, resolving the fine structure of individual grains, not just the outline of the grain.)

You might try a cropped part of the image, in a small print but at the desired final magnification, to see what it will really look like.

I believe you have enough resolution to see film grain, but the exact look is hard to say from here.

Edited by glen_h

-- glen