Yashica Mat camera

jon_ballentine

Hello Jon,

congrats on your new purchase. I have a Yashica 24, a similar camera. If all it says on your camera is "Yashica-Mat" then that IS the model. Others include yashica 12, Yashica-mat em, yashica-mat 124 and 124G. The latter two tend to cost a fortune now days. Mine was supposedly

designed for 220 films but I have used 120 Fuji Reala without any problems. Here's a useful link for all MF cameras and a favorite reference for many on this forum.

http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/cameras.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><I>Mine was supposedly designed for 220 films but I have used 120 Fuji Reala without any problems.</I></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Jon,<P>This is dangerous advice to follow. The problem with using a 220 camera to shoot 120 film is that sooner or later you'll end up with an important picture that got ruined because the camera couldn't hold the film flat and as a result parts of the photo aren't in focus.<P>It's not that a 220 camera can't hold a 120 spool of film -- they're the same size. It's that the pressure plate in a 220 camera is designed differently from a 120. This is why the later Mamiya TLR's have an adjustable pressure plate and why other cameras have different accessory film backs for 120 and 220.<P>For the record, I'd suggest only shooting the trype of film the camera is designed to shoot to avoid losing any opportunities.

I couldn't leave that unanswered.

The difference between 220 film and 120 film is the backing. While 120 film

has the paper backing, the 220 doesn't. The backing paper

is about 0.01" thick.

<p>

This from Kappittel's Rolleiflex book "sharp image will persist over approximately 0.025" of

foward and backward travel of the camera front" at f2.8.

<p>

The logical conclusion from the above is that <b> the differences from the different films will

fall within the errors of focusing.</b>

<p>

I would like to dispell the erroneous assumptions that one shouldn't use

the film formats that the manufacturer does not suggest. What do you say

to those who use color films in uncoated lenses? And are all those who respool 620 films onto

120 rolls to be condemned as heretics as well?

<p>

I use Reala with my Yashica 24 as it's not available in 220. And the results

are good enough for me. And it may be good enough for others who are

considering buying this camera as well. Please do not condemn something

that you haven't tried out yourself.

• 1 year later...

Concerning the warnings in the answers in this post about using 120 film with the "220 only" Yashica 24: The Yashica 24, indeed, has a prominent label inside the back cover that says to use 220 film only. The "24" in the camera name is supposed to refer to the 24 6x6 exposures available from a 220 roll. The red triangle marks for lining up the 220 film leader are right above the lower film roller.

However, the camera was designed to use 120 film also.

On my Yashica 24, under the camera, where you insert the new spool of film, there is a little metal sign glued to the inside left of the camera body. In red letters on a yellow background, it says, "120 film start" with a reference arrow.

So, load that Yashica 24 with a roll of 120 and have some fun!