Yashica Lynx 14E IC

I just purchased this Lynx a week ago, but I have a couple of questions.

First, does this model require batteries to run anything other than the light

meter? The shutter seems to trip at either the fastest speed (1/500) or Bulb,

but none of the other speeds in between. What to do about that? Also, I've

noticed that some 14s seem to have a light meter on the top of the camera, but

this one doesn't. What's the difference? Fortunately, I didn't pay much for

this camera at all so if it's going to be a display model or bright-light

camera, then that's okay too but I'd love to use it and put it through its

paces. Thanks in advance.

Andy

Actually there are two different models of the Lynx14, one with the lightmeter visible from the top (and also inside the viewfinder) and one (the 14E) which has two indicator bulbs inside the viewfinder. To see one of the bulbs you have to press the button on the front of the camera. Depending on exposure setting the UP or DOWN light should show up until you set the exposure correctly. However on many 14E's the light meter does not work due to wire corrosion. The batteries (two PX640 which are hard to get - but it will also work with two PX625 plus a spacer or spring) are needed for the lightmeter only, otherwise the 14E is purely mechanical.

If the shutter does not work correctly it is probably gummed up. You can check the repair article about the (very similar) Lynx5000 on

www.kyphoto.com/classics

As Winfried said, the camera is purely mechanic and only the light meter needs batteries. The camera is not auto-exposure, you have to set speed and aperture yourself. As I don't trust 40-year-old light meters, I use my Lynx 14/14E with a modern handheld incident meter -- works great and every exposure is spot-on.

The leaf shutter of one of my Lynxes was gummed up and pretty sticky at the slow speeds, but nevertheless it did open at all speeds (and sometimes did not close at 1 sec). Maybe after you work the film adavance and keep firing at all speeds the shutter mechanism will come back to life. Else a CLA is necessary.

Some practical advise: I use small strips of tape to keep the speed/aperture rings in place as it is very easy to turn these accidently.

• 3 years later...

<p>Hi there<br>

I was wondering if anyone could help and explain which camera is better out of the 14E and the 14?<br>

I have just bought a 14E-IC but was really after a 14E and wanted to know what the difference in results is between the two lenses. <br>

I would greatly appreciate any response!</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

M</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>I know this is an old discussion but if anyone is still reading it and curious about the sticky shutter, its a simple repair. you just have to unscres the front surrond to the front glass carefully not to damage the glass. then remove the glass too to expose the shutter blades. When you have, use cotton wool buds and lighter fuel to dampen the blades and fire the shutter a few times. Keep repeating this till it fires everytime. It may take a while but worth it. Don't over wet the blades and just put back together carefully.</p>