Yashica FR 1- Film speed dial stuck.

<p>I have just bought an FR1 which is in very good condition, apart from the film speed dial being stuck at ASA/ISO 80, [1 dot below the ISO 100 mark.] The exposure compensation dial still works, and alters the viewfinder readings when I adjust the compen. dial.<br>

The camera appears to have been stored for some time, as the manual with it smelled 'foisty'. Has anyone any basic suggestion as to how to free the film speed dial ? I am not one for dismantling a camera. Would 1-2 drops of lighter fuel, or clear alcohol, dropped into the dial possibly free it ? I gather it could be accumulated dust, etc., or it may even have seized through corrosion.<br>

Professional repair would not be worth the cost, and I can still use the camera together with a handheld light meter, setting the aperture and speed as per the exposure meter, and ignore the readings in the camera viewfinder.<br>

One other point which has been mentioned was, after all these years would the camera's meter still be accurate ? And possibly I would be better off relying on a hand meter.<br>

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.<br>

From old UK magazines, I gather that the FR1 was the Yashica 'twin' of the Contax RTS. And whilst I would have liked an RTS/RTSII, more than likely they may have been used professionally, whereas the FR1 would more than likely have had amateur use, and this one certainly looks like that.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Mike, Yes, Did that, and as there was no 'response' I pulled it up a bit further, which resulted in the whole lot coming up and revealing what was underneath. I pushed it back down, thinking I had ruined everything, but as I state the exposure compensation dial is still working. Even after pushing everything back down.</p>
  • Like 1

<p>There is only one set of resistor wipers under the dial so the offset for exposure compensation would be equal to changing the ISO by the same rotational amount. Moving the compensation to "2" would give you about ISO 160, and "4" would give you a setting close to ISO 400, looking at the same dial on my FR I.</p>

<p>The wind mechanism, mirror box, and shutter are nearly identical to the original RTS. The RTS II and III have a different shutter.</p>

• 6 years later...
<p>Mike, Yes, Did that, and as there was no 'response' I pulled it up a bit further, which resulted in the whole lot coming up and revealing what was underneath. I pushed it back down, thinking I had ruined everything, but as I state the exposure compensation dial is still working. Even after pushing everything back down.</p>

Hi, I recently got a yashica fr1 and I made the mistake of pulling off the exposure compensation dial. Are you sure pushing it back down still allows the exposure compensation to work? And did you find a way to fix this problem? Thanks so much pls get back to me!