Yashica electro 35 rangefinders.

<p>Just bought a Yashica Electro 35 - an early model as it has the recess on the bottom plate below the back release. Film speed 12-500. Serial No.: 90704852 . Already I am hooked, and although having acquired a Minolta Hi-Matic 9 in the last few days, I am looking at further Yashica RFs in the electro range.<br>

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the models, hopefully chronologically, showing features of the models ?</p>

<p>My Electro 35 is the 90,504,446 (previous to yours) that my father bought new at the time. It's a great camera to use in automatic with priority of the aperture, but impractical for exposure changes (you can only change the selection of the sensitivity of the film). I have a parasol in the original case, instruction manual ... and is a camera that I like to use from time to time.</p>

<p>The "Yashica-Guy" seems to keep his battery adapter <em>construction</em> under wraps.</p>

<p>So in case anybody wishes to know about a simple solution to the battery issue; I simply rolled up some 35mm film just enough to produce a loose tube to physically stabilize the new <strong>*</strong>6 volt battery. The spring is <strong>pulled from</strong> a readily available cheap little LED flashlight. I jammed it into the battery cap.</p>

<p>Going this route no soldering or damage is done to the original design... <strong>*</strong>No voltage or amperage concerns for the hearty electronics.</p><div>00bvHy-541995984.JPG.26ea9431e4ba9f23084e61e480b2ba5c.JPG</div>

Not to throw a wet blanket or anything but 50-50 chance you start collecting these things they'll all be in

the cupboard in a year or two collecting dust or you'll have to go to the trouble of selling them. You can

probably donate them somewhere though, which might be a good thing.

On the other hand, if you enjoy it, enjoy it. :)

The Canonet I bought a few years ago has only seen one roll of film, with no plans for more. Why use it when I have a Leica?

<p>Ray is probably right. I have a few 'classic' film cameras, some dating back to the 50s, which haven't been used since I got them! Much more sadly, though, I also have an excellent classic M6 which has seen only one roll of film in the last 18 months! I can't bring myself to sell it, having already disposed of an M7 and an M8, but the immediacy and quality of XPro1 and X100 and the cost of film and processing just make me pick those up when I go out!</p>

<p>Thanks to all for the information you have posted. I was aware of Butkus and also Yashica Guy, but I will have a look at the other links.<br>

As regards a battery adapter for the Electro 35s, I have just bought one on ebay. It is milled from aluminium and fits all the models. Cost £6.99p It was listed as Yashica Electro 35 battery adapter sleeve TR164. The seller (in UK) was 0182david.<br>

I also have several 35 slrs which I would call modern classics, but I use them in rotation so they are never just stuck away in a cupboard.<br>

Thanks for the posts, but if anyone else has useful comments and observations, please post.<br>

If anyone is interested there is a Yashica Lynx 14 here on the bay. Sale ends today. Present bid £54, but reserve price has not been met.</p>

<p>Yes, these are great cameras. I've taken the plunge myself. Here are a couple things I've learned:</p>

<p>I <a href="/leica-rangefinders-forum/00X19k">wrote a short piece here about how to test your Electro</a>.</p>

<p>Most all Electros need to have the Pad of Death (a.k.a. "POD") replaced if it hasn't been done already. </p>

<p>These cameras are great for fill flash. Just a) leave the camera set for "Auto" not flash, b) set the flash on Auto for 1-2 stops under exposure, and c) choose an f-stop that works.</p>

<p>The best battery adapter is by eBay seller bennfoto. He doesn't have it listed right now, but here's a recent sale item # 111098860403<br>

<br>

You asked about the models. Yashica Guy has the best run-down. Personally, I like the GX for smaller size, sensor inside the filter ring, higher ASA, and overall feel. <br>

<br>

There are several good options for servicing these cameras; and many are successful DIY.<br>

<br>

Enjoy your camera.</p>

<p>Sebastian, Thanks for your post. I came across your test article last week, and printed it off. Last night I sat down and went through each step, as you laid them out. Every thing seems to be working correctly. But at point No. 9 set it to B, nothing happened, and I thought that there was a fault; but with the battery then inserted, and pressing the shutter release button, the shutter remained open for as long as I held it down.<br>

I don't do my own developing so I am awaiting the return of the first film used in the Electro 35.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Not to throw a wet blanket or anything but 50-50 chance you start collecting these things they'll all be in the cupboard in a year or two collecting dust or you'll have to go to the trouble of selling them.<br>

Why use it when I have a Leica?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This definitely shows why this post should have been on the Classic Manual Camera forum instead of here where some people don't "get" the old camera user/collector thing. :|</p>

<p>That's OK, Ray.</p>

<p>We wouldn't have taken it seriously anyway since our obsessive anal qualities would not have allowed us to think that you could really have meant it. ;)<br>

I was not actually proposing that the choice of forums mattered all that much.</p>

<p>Thanks for the welcome in here, Jim. Although I may have been slightly mistaken, I did want to rub shoulders with the Leica bunch !! The only Leica I own is the R5, which I treat myself to 3 yrs back. Methinks some in here could be miffed if the Yashica RFs take photos almost as good as a Leica.!!!!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Methinks some in here could be miffed if the Yashica RFs take photos almost as good as a Leica.!!!!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I doubt most would care if anyone. My experience here tells me that people value talent more than cameras. As for your R5, you are welcome to post photos from it in the weekly w/nw thread. It's a Leica <strong><em>and</em> </strong>Rangefinders forum not a Leica Rangefinders forum. Same applies for photos from the Yashica Electro 35.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's a Leica <strong><em>and</em> </strong>Rangefinders forum not a Leica Rangefinders forum. Same applies for photos from the Yashica Electro 35.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Absolutely. Over half of my Leica shots were taken with the R-system. You are in the wrong forum if you think we care what camera took any photo. We all like Leicas, but I think I speak for all when I say that we do not believe they are the only cameras worth using. Most of us use, or have used, a number of different cameras.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>I like Robin's comments as I still use both SLR and rangefinder film systems. This forum encourages discussions on a broad spectrum of Leica, rangefinder, digital, film and image making topics. I've just found out that a local photo finisher kept his Instamatic printing equipment so I'll finish off the 1970's Kodacolor cartridge in my Dad's Instamatic 500 just to see what he left in the camera. Hope mine are as good as his.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But at point No. 9 set it to B, nothing happened, and I thought that there was a fault; but with the battery then inserted, and pressing the shutter release button, the shutter remained open for as long as I held it down.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's right. My initial "how to test" instructions were in error here and were corrected further down in that thread.<br>

<br>

These cameras need a battery to keep the shutter open longer than 1/500th.</p>

<p>Just picked up the photos of 1st film through the Yashica. Only used negative film to start with. Most of the shots are fine with no problem, yet a few have what looks like may be light leaks, but I would have thought if that was the case, then a light leak should show up, most likely on every shot.<br>

Returning to the POD, I have just had my hands on a Yashica MG1 which is in working order, and I now have heard the distinct and slight thump/clunk when a Yash is working correctly. That noise is absent on my Electro 35, but as I mention most of the photos taken have come out fine.<br>

Next point - light seals on the Yashicas, I have found complete seals on both the above cameras near the hinge on the back cover. There is no evidence of sticky, deteriorated foam anywhere else on either camera.</p>