I recently received a Yashica D medium format camera and

unfortunately it did not come with a manual. I have a few of

questions and was hoping someone may have the answers. 1. How do you

set the film speed? The film winding knob hsa the asa and din #s but

there is no dot or mark to align them to. 2. It has a synchro

selector lever. What does it do and how do you use it? When winding

film do you push the film release button on the winding knob then

wind the film?

If anyone has any answers it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tim

Hi. 1. The yashica D has no light meter therefore you can't "set" the film speed. The dial is only a reminder for yourself. 2. The sync selector level sets the shutter sync to electronic (X) or bulb (M) flash units. The timing is different, i.e. the delay between firing the flash and opening the shutter. Nowadays single-use flash bulbs are not popular; if you use a flash that will almost certainly be electronic flash. SO leave the lever on X. Also, remember that the self-timer cannot be used if the sync lever is set on M; you might damage the mechanism trying that.

Yes, when winding the film you push that button in and wind to the next frame. Then you cock the shutter when you're ready to shoot. One problem with this setup is that you can accidentally double expose a frame if you don't remember if you'd winded to the next frame or not. I've found that if you set up a procedure to follow, you should be as consistent as possible to prevent this from happenning; unless you want to double expose a frame. After the 12th frame, press the button and wind the knob all the way until you can "feel or hear" the paper wrapping the roll at the end. Carefully remove the exposed roll as sometimes the paper is not wrapped tightly and light leaks can occur. Lick the tab and seal the roll as soon as you have it freed from the camera. Hope this helps. Gary