YASHICA-A Twin Lens Reflex 120 Film Camera

wabi-sabi

A pro for this camera is that it's about the least expensive of the Yashica TLR's. A con is that the slowest shutter speed is 1/25 sec and the fastest is 1/300 sec. Better alternatives for a Yashica TLR would be a C, D, 635 with or without the 35mm adapter, 12 or a Yashicamat.

I have one of these and it is a great little camera. Granted it ain't no blad but then it don't cost that much either. You need to concentrate on what the camera can do not what it can't. The shutter speeds don't really limit me that much I like to hand hold anyway. I usually use Ilford HP5(400iso) and I find the camera quite easy to work with. If you needed long exposures to blur running water then you would be stuck but you can of course do really long exposures using the B setting and timming with a watch so it ain't so bad.

What it does offer you is a nice big piece of film and I would rather enlarge from that nice big piece of film not to mention larger film is easier to handle in the darkroom. I tried to use the yashica over 35mm when ever possible of course I can't use it all the time it is not a do everthing camera but once you learn to work within it limitations you can make some nice work with it.

Even with its limitations, I actually like my A better than my YashicaMat. It is lighter and simpler to operate. Somehow, I feel less obtrusive winding it with the knob than with the crank on the YashicaMat. I feel as though I can take pictures with this camera which I could never capture with any other. Here is an example.

http://www.photo.net/photo/2723403

Keep the lens stopped down to f8 or less (smaller opening, higher f#).

The only problem I have had with mine is finding push-on filters for it.