I have recently just stumbled onto a Yashica FRII camera with 3 lens while

clearing out my fathers house.

These are the stats that I can find:

TTL metering fully automatic expsoure 35mm SLR

Yashica Lens 28mm

Yashica Lens 50mm

Yashica Lens f=80-200mm

Toshiba Filter for color Sl-1A 52mm

Can anyone tell me is this worth anything?

I appreciate any advise or help.

J

If I recall, the FR II was a lower grade SLR marketed to the amatuer market, but I believe it had the Contax mount. I'd guess it's not worth more than $100--maybe more on a good day. However, you might find it personally rewarding to verify it has a Contax mount and buy a Contax lens or two to put on it. They were very good lenses.

The FR II is aperture priority automatic only with no manual settings. The FR I was auto plus manual settings. The original FR was match diode. The FR even could use the wireless Contax infrared remote. Try the FR II. If you like it you can always upgrade to one of the more full-featured FR's. Keep the FR II as back up if you upgrade. You can't get much for them used. I think an autowinder was available for FR series as well.

I don't remember if the meter turns off after non use or not so don't leave it on. The LED display can drain batteries.

Forgive this long ramble, but Yashica was one of the brands we sold when my family owned a camera shop.

Regards,

Mike

The FR range were very nice when they came out. I used a FR1 for a couple of years with the Yashica 28, 50 and 135 lenses and it was very pleasant in many ways. Unfortunately, none of the FR series seems to have stood up to long term use and you come across a lot of 'spares or repairs' bodies in the secondhand market, more than you might expect for the numbers originally sold. Because of this, as David says, they're not much in demand and prices are low.<div>00Jang-34510584.jpg.dd745ff456f1cb40cf42c546ccc7eb10.jpg</div>

Actually one of the finest auto only cameras of it's era. Basically the same inside as the the Contax RTS and has few problems today, mainly limited to the film frame counter, the self timer, and the light seals. Not much different from any other fine camera of the same age. With these issues corrected, they easily sell for $100 or more today.

I think you'll find, Michael, that it's an altogether different design internally to the Contax range, apart from sharing the electronic shutter release and timing. The Contax shutter famously used silk blinds in a bid to get much more accurate timing than the normal for focal plane shutters, whereas the Yashica models used blinds made from conventional cloth. The Contax was largely built from traditional brass and steel whereas the Yashica used nylon and other plastics extensively. I think the idea that the Yashica was a reclothed Contax comes from the common lens mount and baseplate designs but they were very different cameras to begin with.

Well, there's your most recent answer. That eBay auction I mentioned above ended.

"...a very nice (9+) Yashica FR II 35mm SLR body with Yashica ML 50mm f1.9 lens both in very fine working condition (and)two Yashica FR II's for parts..."

for $10.50 USD

ebay auction #270080166383

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

<p>Many get the RTS confused with the later RTS II and RTS III. They are very different.</p>

<p>The original RTS is in the same family as the Yashica FR series. I have worked on and repaired many of them over the years. The internal parts and gears are made of the same materials and many are interchangeable. I still own an original RTS and a couple of FR's. All of the dozens of FR II's I have serviced have turned in a consistent 1/2000th second with the needle pegged to the top- a sign of good design and manufacture.</p>