Yamato Pal

• 4 weeks later...

A detailed account of Yamato is on Flickr, although an article on Camera Wiki states this was not the Yamato Company absorbed into Canon.:

My Yamato Collection

There were later models like the Yamato Mini Electro And the Yamato Palmat but production of the brand appears to have stopped in the 60s.

The lens is reported to be a 4 element. I took the Pal for a walk.Exchange.thumb.jpg.6e22d534ccba20dd199fc236efb1a4d5.jpg

Nice results from the Ruby, Alan. Yamoto cameras are usually dismissed as being cheap and nasty, but I've found them to be quite usable, at least as good as many of their cheap European counterparts. I have the Pax M4 which is generally considered to be one of the better ones, and I think the 45mm Luminore f/2.8 lens fitted to that camera is the same as the Color Luna fitted to your Ruby. Yamoto seems to have used the two names quite interchangeably over a variety of lenses.

As your photographs demonstrate, the lens is contrasty and sharp, though I've noticed that it's not happy against strong light. Incidentally, Camera -Wiki suggest that "Rippa" was an alternative name for the Ruby, but this is incorrect. I have a Rippa and it's a much simpler viewfinder camera. I also have the Mini Electro 35 and the identical Palmat, (AKA Mansfield Skylark), little automatic cameras I've never used. I must do so. I attach a pic couple of two Pal variants, the M4 and the Junior. Thanks for an interesting post.

Pax M4 and Pax Junior

342188583_PaxPnet.jpg.b4dce1068abce86ddf5386723b394f81.jpg