XTOL Chemistry Failure Prior to Mixing

I have been doing black and white photography for over 50 years, and thought I had seen it all. I mixed up a packet of 5L XTOL (with an expiration date of about a year or so from now) developer which had been inadvertently stored in a hot garage for about 3 months. The powder looked good and the mixed solution looked good. I like the results Xtol delivers. So off I went processing a roll of TMY 135-36 taken with my Leica M4. The result was a barely discernible image, no where good enough to salvage. The edge printing on the film looked normal. Hmmmm, I thought I must have screwed up something so discarded the whole batch. Second guessing myself, I wondered if somehow I put fix in first or some odd thing even though my developer solutions are kept in unique containers (old TMX developer plastic containers). After discarding the first batch, I carefully mixed another 5L package of XTOL like I have done dozens of time. I exposed a test roll of TMY 135-36 at normal box speed, with some exposures grossly overexposed as part of the test. Absolutely NO image this time, but edge markings are present. My conclusion is that storage of powdered Xtol in heat is not a good thing! While there was no evidence that the bags were breached in any way, I am assuming the 100 degree temperatures (at peak) in my garage were not kind to the chemistry.

I am posting this as I found a lot of information about Xtol failure AFTER mixing into solution, but not so much about failures PRIOR to mixing (with the exception of the packaging issue early on). I sure wish I would have remembered to put that box containing LOTS of Xtol packages in a "cool, dry, place." Thankfully, I have some D-76 that has been stored properly and it worked well of course.

I exposed a test roll of TMY 135-36 at normal box speed, with some exposures grossly overexposed as part of the test. Absolutely NO image this time, but edge markings are present.

Greg, I gotta say that this doesn't sound right to me, as a developer failure. If the developer was so badly damaged as to produce NO image, even when grossly overexposed, I don't see how it could possibly develop the edgeprint. Did the leader develop at all?

I'd go back and look at this closer, considering the possibility of shutter failure or, dare I mention it, a lens cap?

I know what you mean. How does the edge printing come out distinctly, and no images? I thought the same thing and checked my Leica M4 looking to see that the shutter was working at all speeds. Not a lens cap problem. I am baffled. But I do know I don't trust the packages of Xtol i have (yeah, about a dozen of them) certainly without more precise testing. No leader development, nothing black (or gray) but the edge printing. I should retrieve the film from the bin if I still can.

I have had developer, I believe Dektol, come out of the bag slightly brown, and when

mixed with water, very dark brown. That went down the drain.

(I don't remember if I tried any prints with it.)

You didn't mention the color of yours.

But edge printing and no images sounds like camera and not developer.

-- glen

Well I have a confession to make. I dug the film out of the trash and looked at it again. The first batch had extremely faint images on it WITH the edge printing. The second batch of XTOL that I mixed up and used, there were no images at all and NO edge printing. My old mind plays tricks on me sometimes....in any event, thought I would confess to my error if someone comes along in the future and reads this.

When mixing out of the pouches, the chemistry looked very good. But it appears to be no good, apparently affected by high heat.

Well, at least the apparent discrepancy is solved. Thanks for the update.

I don't know too much about the chemistry of Xtol, but it is a little surprising to me that it would be essentially destroyed so "easily" (ie, ~3 months at ~100 degree peak temps). But it's a good cautionary story.

It might be worth an email to Kodak; if I were them I'd probably replace it just for the good will. Might even be a packaging defect. Best of luck.

This link might be worth a look.

About the substance:

Diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid pentasodium salt

- commonly Pentetic acid

Although the long name might lead you to think it's a highly important component, in reality it's just a chelating agent. Probably only included to counteract water hardness or metal contaminants if tap water is used to make up the developer.

Otherwise it's all pretty bog standard Phenidone-ascorbate + borax stuff. With nothing too susceptible to heat deterioration. Apart from the Phenidone derivative having unknown keeping properties.

I've personally made up my own Phenidone-Ascorbate formulation with Phenidone (1-phenyl-3-pyrazolidone) that was many years old, and not particularly well stored. The results were perfect.

So why powdered Xtol should suddenly expire is a mystery.

• 2 weeks later...
Past failures have focused on the 1L packaging failing, and then the mixed developer suddenly dropping dead. This issue was a new one (at least for me) but I thought the issues had been sorted out-and I had almost gained confidence in regular use of Xtol. I actually like and prefer the developer for my TMY and TMX films. When it works, it works beautifully. When it doesn't it is a grand disappointment. I have contacted Kodak Alaris who will likely send me replacement Xtol (I had bought 10 5L packages!). However, I will be wary and before I process important films with it and you can be sure I will test it. I'm not quite ready to abandon Xtol completely....but close. Between this issue and the imprinting of roll numbers on my negatives (remember that issue?), Kodak Alaris makes me wonder about their quality control. It's a sad thing. I have been in commercial photography starting in 1972, and Kodak was the gold standard and Kodak Rochester was referred to as the "Great Yellow Oracle." (Yellow referring to Kodak's yellow packaging color, of course.) Alas, things change sometimes not for the better.

Yet I cling tenaciously to the film process....I like the alchemy and magic of it all and it allows me to use my Leica M4s, my NIkon F2's, etc. It's wonderful, when it works, of course. (I do have Nikon and Leica digital equipment as well, so I am not a complete dinosaur)

It seems that the two developers for the highest EI for TMax films, especially TMZ, are Xtol and TMax.

Not so long ago, I bought a bottle of TMax. So far I like it, even with other films.

I also have HC-110 and Diafine.

Someday I will take a roll of TMZ out for some EI 25000 shooting.

Maybe on a full moon.

-- glen

Its on the data sheet. Kodak wouldn't lie to us!

It only says:

"Note: These development times are suggested starting points.

Make tests to determine the best development time for your application."

But they must have tested it already!

-- glen