Xtol Agitation

<p>I normally use xtol 1 to 1 for 9 minutes... I generally agitate for the first 10 seconds, than a few agitations every 30 seconds until time is finished. My negs seems a little dull in shadows and a little harsh in highlights. <br>

Agitation help?? <br>

also, Im also thinking of trying xtol straight.. which do you think produces better negatives? thanks. </p>

<p>Here are Kodak's instructions for agitation with XTOL:</p>

<blockquote>

<p align="LEFT"> Provide initial agitation of up to 5 cycles, depending on your results. For KODAK PROFESSIONAL T-MAX Films, provide initial agitation of 5 to 7 cycles in 5 seconds. For an invertible tank, one cycle consists of rotating the tank upside down and then back to the upright position. For a noninvertible tank, one cycle consists of sliding the tank back and forth over a 10-inch (25.4 cm) distance. With tanks that have a handle for turning the reel, rotate the reel back and forth gently through about one-half turn at a rate of one cycle per second during initial and subsequent agitation.</p>

</blockquote>

<p align="LEFT"> </p>

<blockquote>

<p align="LEFT">Let the tank sit for the remainder of the first 30 seconds.</p>

<p align="LEFT"> </p>

<p align="LEFT"> After the first 30 seconds, agitate for 5 seconds at 30-second intervals. Agitation should consist of 2 to 5 cycles, depending on the contrast you need and the type of tank.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I do both inversion and constant rotary processing and see no difference between the 5-10 inversion every 30 seconds films and the continuous rotary processed films. Yes, I have processed the same brand and format both ways for comparison. </p>

<p>If the shadows are dull or no detail then you need to increase exposure, if highlights are too dense then you need to cut development time. Exposure increase should be 1/3 to 1/2 stop, development change should be in 5 % increments. </p>

<p>As they say, expose for the shadows, develop for the midtones, agitate for the highlights. If your shadows are thin, as Charles says above, expose more. I would try 2/3 of a stop more, or one stop more. I don't think you'd see much difference with just 1/3 of a stop more.<br>

If highlights are "harsh" and I'm assuming that means too contrasty, then develop less. That could mean less agitation or less time. Experiment by changing one thing. Personally, I find less agitation beneficial. Not everyone agrees with me.<br>

<br />Diluted Xtol should help control highlight contrast a bit, so going full strength probably isn't your answer. (I'm assuming that you're using a sufficient volume of developer)</p>