XTi or 30D?

dee 14

Hi! I am fairly new to Photography, and new to this site, I am wanting to

upgrade my current camera (Minolta A200) and finally get into an SLR camera.

I have read many reports, and comparisons between the XTi and 30D, but I wanted

to hear from actual owners. I would love the 5D (who wouldn't?), but don't

have that kind of money or experience to justify it.

One thing I definately would like info on is the ISO range of both camera's. I

shoot ALOT of low light photography and my current camera looks to grainy at

anything above about a 200 setting.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Or consider a used 20D. It's almost the same camera as the 30D (it uses the same hardware).

And handle both the consumer (Rebel) and prosumer (EOS **D's) cameras. In my humble opinion, the Rebels are pretty awkward to hand-hold and are not so ergonomic in operation.

Thank you for the responses, and perhaps I will wait. I just hate to think of spending more money just because it's the new thing out... As far as it goes for the 20D, I had been told that the 30 and XTi are far superior camera's.

Again, any comments about clear ISO ranges on either of these camera's?

Darren, I'm faced with the same delimma you are and have decided to wait to for PMA to see what the new cameras are like. But having played with both the XTi and 20/30d I've decided that if there is nothing I like at PMA then for the same price as a new XTi I can buy a used 20D, which is a much better camera.

I agree with the others who said you should handle both, decide which feels better in your hands.

Ultimately, the XTi is intended as a consumer-grade camera; it's not the least bit rugged or weatherproof, and that does turn a lot of shooters off because it feels like a toy camera in your hands. The X0D bodies (10D/20D/30D) are more rugged, a little heavier (which helps to balance the camera better when you use a big lens, it keeps the center of weight in your hands), though the XTi has some nifty features that didn't appear on the 30D.

You might also want to wait out until the end of this month, when Canon will announce what their new releases are going to be on display at the PDA in March. The popular guess (though only a guess, since only Canon knows for sure) is that a 40D is due, putting the guts of the XTi into a rugged 30D body.

I've got the same choice you had for a couple months ago - I just decided to buy a 30D, and I'm happy with it. Obviously, it is much more practical and convinient in use than 400D; that's a working horse!

In that case, waiting can be justified... but basically increase in pixel count WON'T give a better noise level; reverse. And 40D or whatever it's called will not be a revolution as the 20D was - or D60.

I'd compare 30D to 10D - the same smart evolution without plain pixel booms.

But! More important is the lens and its aperture speed - EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM would be a perfect choice for you. I should have bought this too... 'cause f/4 freaks me out sometimes, even with IS on. It's all about lenses, imho.

Darren,

Since you were shooting the KM A200 before, you may want to check out a used Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D on ebay for 500 bucks. This is a quality camera and may go with any extras you might have purchased with the A200. You might also check on an A100 Sony which is the new Minolta.

If you got used to the anti-shake on your old camera be prepared to do without on the Canon unless you pay lots extra.

Have fun!