XT20 and 23mm f1.4

Firstly I want to point out that I could not careless who made my gear. What I do care about is having gear that works as it should. I have had the xt20 and 23mm f1.4 for a couple of months now. I bought the 23mm based on reviews that stated it was sharp in the center at f1.4, very sharp at f5.6 and according to Ephotozine has barely noticeable CA. This is not my experience with this lens. Infant after 3 days of owning the camera I went to Fuji headquarters and they said you should get used to it first and I was told that this has a different kind of sharpness to my other camera. 2 months later I find that the CA is quite noticeable but not at f4. I think that images taken at f5.6 should be really sharp with lots of fine detail. The f5.6 images look ok at 50% view but there is a slight softness at 100%. Is the slight softness I am seeing normal with 24mp sensor compared to the 16mp sensor I had before. Err I do not actually compare them.

Could somebody please tell me what their experience with this lens is. Does it match the reviews? My copy doesn't seem to. Thanks.

My first digital camera was a Fuji. I discovered after buying it that Fuji had just plain lied about its true resolution, and that it upscaled its output to give twice as many pixels as its sensor captured. The lens also gave awful barrel distortion at the wide end of its zoom.

In short, I felt totally cheated by Fuji, and haven't bought a single Fuji product since. It also left me with total skepticism of Fuji's (and other makers') claims.

Just my experience of dealing with Fuji.

My XE1 continues to function flawlessly, if a bit slowly. Different story with the XT10. Rubber covers fell off, grip fell apart, playback button stuck in. I'm not done with mirrorless but no more Fujifilm cameras. Oh, and the 18-55mm zoom is so full of mold it has become unusable. Edited by Sanford

I owned a Fuji Pro1/ Fuji X-A1 with a 27mm lens and was very pleased with the results they gave. Even in the brightest harshest sunshine I could still see the screen....my Nikon or varies Sony cameras were virtually useless in harsh sunlight in screen mode.

No issues with either cameras and thinking of buying another Pro1/2.

My experience.fuji.jpg.b5f542c829326a981ebc657d90634969.jpg

• Like 1

I'd ditch the 1.4 and look into the 23/2 WR "Fujicron." Smaller, lighter, less pricey than the 1.4 and a better all-rounder some say than the earlier version. Just got one and am impressed so far.

I'm thinking the smart way to buy Fuji bodies is the wait to till the brass bands stop heralding the new model and snap up deals on trailing edge cameras. Recently bought a new black X-T1 body for C$ 499. Suspect X-T2s will be similarly priced a few months after a replacement surfaces. YMMV, as usual.

18201721-orig.jpg My 23 1.4 is simply a great lens. I've thought about the smaller 23/2 but I just like the signature on the 1.4. Its not particularly heavy. If the OP is dissatisfied than get something else. Here's one taken pretty wide open maybe 2.8 Edited by Uhooru
  • Like 3

18201721-orig.jpg My 23 1.4 is simply a great lens. I've thought about the smaller 23/2 but I just like the signature on the 1.4. Its not particularly heavy. If the OP is dissatisfied than get something else. Here's one taken pretty wide open maybe 2.8

A mixed bag of replies. Thanks everyone. I am particularly interested in the replies from the owners of the lens. The reviews say it should be very sharp at f5.6. Most lenses are. My copy is not. There is a lack of fine detail when viewed at 100%. How about your copy? When I spoke to the guy at Fuji headquarters in Tokyo he said the Fuji's have a different kind of sharpness. What did he mean by that? Is he saying the xtrans sensor has a different kind of sharpness to the bayer sensor?

Here is an image I took with this camera and lens. The exif should be in the file but just in case - OOC jpg, handheld, f5.6, 1/750s, center weighted, standard setting, sharpening set at 0 and single point select focus. Please view and say what you think about the sharpness of this image. Then I will reveal what they said at Fuji headquarters.

DSCF1333.thumb.JPG.f064059d8593b12cb0b165f11ce77f16.JPG

Edited by k_iwao

18475729-orig.jpg Ah sorry K, I see you're using the XT-20. Here's a photo I took last sunday with the 23.1.4 probably around 5 - 5.6 and it was dead bang sharp (if that's what you're looking for). Everyone seems to want the sharpest photos, but I know lots of great photographers that believe the quest for razor sharpness is over emphasized.
  • Like 1

Please view and say what you think about the sharpness of this image.

It looks like a handheld image outdoors with possible wind and water motion. This is not the way to find out if your lens is sharp. Put it on a tripod indoors and photograph a target. Test it against other lenses. Then you will know if your problem is in your lens.

• Like 1

. 'Different story with the XT10. Rubber covers fell off, grip fell apart, playback button stuck in. I'm not done with mirrorless but no more Fujifilm cameras. Oh, and the 18-55mm zoom is so full of mold it has become unusable" Sanford.

I won't be buying a XT10.