Xenon flash lamp color rendering index

Does anyone know what the color rendering index (CRI) is for xenon flash lamps?

For that matter, does anyone know how well the CRI of a light source correlates with color correctness as

recorded on typical color films?

I realize that another parameter to characterize a light source is the correlated color temperature, which is a

somewhat different matter.

Ellis, you beat me to the punch!

I did an un-scientific test a few years back with profoto, broncolor and a few other head & pack systems.

I setup a bare bulb scenario and with the Minolta color flash meter, i popped t least 50 shots.

The results were very interesting. The Pro7 varied shot to shot at full power by 50-100 Kelvin. Not that much you

say...it did show up on our Leaf Cantare back. Drove me mad until I created a profile that chopped that part of the

spectrum out.

The Bron was much more accurate. 1 in 10 shots varied by 50-100K. I don't remember the other packs I tried but they

were worse than the Pro7's.

I guess the end of the story is that even the $6000 studio flashes can vary a lot then add reflectors, soft boxes....and

the CRI and Kelvin # changes. I gather that the small hot shoe flashes and mono lights, while they use a xenon tube,

can vary much more. Bron and Profoto spend much more on R&D and manufacturing these days. With their new

products, they say that the color temp is now consistent between pops! I think that's a fantastic design.

Alan, If you go to Kodak's site, they have tech pubs on the films. It has color sensitivity curves and color compensation

numbers. It might get you closer to an answer.

Best,

-ian