X1 Hasselblad compared to X5

From Jan Dago

I am currently testing an X5 scanner from Hasselblad however I would like to try the X1 to compare the two but that is not possible

because the dealer only have the X5 as a demo model. I am only going to use the scanner for 35 mm format as I am a photojournalist and

have a huge file of images in the 35 mm format.

My question is have anybody tried both scanners and compared the scans? Or can anyone recommend the X1?

The X5 is 300mb pr minut and is very fast. Hasselblad claim that the dmax is 4,9 And the X1 is supposed to have only 4,6 in dmax

the X5 has a maximum resolution of 8000 ppi on 35 mm format versus X1 with 6300ppi.

As I only can try the X5 I have a difficult time to test if there is really that much diffrence between the two scanners.

There is quite a big price difference between the two and I would of course like to get most value for the money.

I look forward to hear any comments on this.

Kindest regards Jan Dago.

www.dago.dk

Have you compared the Nikon 5000 to the X5? Does the X5 really do better than the 5000? Not looking at the files (larger files always look better), but making the best 13 x 19 or larger print you can. (13x19 is the minimum size you should test at, since it's 300 ppi from the Nikon, and so you'll be just beginning to see the advantage of the X1/X5 at this size.) See if your friends and clients can tell the difference in a blind test.

My guess is that no one will be able to tell the difference, except the ones who complain about the dust in the X1/X5 scans.

Given that you have a lot of stuff to scan, since the NIkon 5000 has ICE I'd think that you'd be way better off with that scanner.

Imacon scanners have a very clean optical path, without the mirrors used by Nikon to obtain a more compact scanner. This will result in better contrast and perhaps DMax than the Nikon (at 10x the price).

Resolution of the scanner is probably not the most important feature. The 4000 ppi Nikon scanner is probably the sweet-spot in this respect, representing about 80 lp/mm at the film, which is comparable to the capability of film*. At higher scanner resolutions, the results are limited by the film, and won't permit any greater enlargement than from the Nikon.

* In addition to grain, film is subject to diffusion of the image as the light passes through the emulsion, and chemically during processing. You will notice from MTF charts for film (see the respective Technical Data Sheets) that the MTF is fairly level at low frequencies (lp/mm), but starts to drop with a corner frequency of about 20 lp/mm (30 lp/mm for B&W). The MTF50 resolution for Velvia is about 60 lp/mm, which represents the highest practical resolution.

I've used the x5 and the nikon 5000. The x5 has a light condenser (the x1 does not) that helps a lot to minimize scratches and other film defects. Flexcolor may also remove defects, but I'm not sure exactly what's done in software. The nikon 5000, from what I understand, uses a point light source, and without digital ice turned on, I notice a lot more scratches and defects. Anyway, I believe the condenser light source is the main difference between the x1 and x5.

First thanks for all the answers. I will comment on the reply regarding the Nikon scanner first. The Imacon/Hasselblad

scanners have an amazing software and they are able to scan in a format called fff or free file format. It works basically

like a RAW format from digital cameras and it is wonderful! This is only one of the reasons that I really prefer the Imacon/

Hasseblad scanners. I also really like the scans that I have had done on the 848 Imacon scanner before. But I can not find

a second hand 848 anywhere close enough to where I live (Denmark) Even Imacon/ Hasselblad do not have any of these

scanners as second hand anymore. Anyone close to Denmark have one Imacon 848 in good shape that they wish to sell?

Best regards Jan Dago

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...