X-Ray Scanned Films

<p >Hello...</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Ive just had returned from a two week holiday in Thailand where i took about 15 rolls of slide film on my Lomo LC-A+ which i plan to cross process now im back. I just heard a horrible horrible piece of news that i may have jeopardized the entire set.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The fact is that on at least two of the flights the undeveloped films were in my checked luggage which means they were subject to a much higher powered x-ray scan and when they were not they went though at leats 4 normal hand baggage scaners. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I got a test done of one of the films and when I got the prints back at least 20 of the 36 were a plain charcoal grey and the others were either very dark or heavily tinted green. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >So I have two questions.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >1) Will the undeveloped films will be ruined.</p>

<p >2) Will unused films that have been subject to the same scans but not used yet be ruined or are they still ok to use. </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >All the films were between ISO 100, 200, 400</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Any advice is greatly appreciated... </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks </p>

<p>Your unused film is toast!</p>

<p>It might take 100 passes through boarding X-Ray machines to increase the fog level by 1/3rd stop, but one pass through checked baggage will ruin undeveloped film. Exposure is nearly cumulative, so it doesn't matter if the X-Rays are before or after exposure.</p>

<p>The test roll results you described are consistent with high X-ray exposure - extreme fogging and green shifts. Kodak has extensive information about this on their website. All unprocessed film will have been ruined by the high-dosage scanning, whether exposed or not.</p>