WTH? First thing on my screen when I logged in was a nude shot

bethe_fisher

Bad enough that I have to log in every couple of days and that it usually goes to my portfolio (I prefer the forums). But just now, it showed pictures by others and/or liked by others and the first one, huge on my screen, was a full frontal nude shot. I don't have an issue with people posting nudes, but I NEED to be able to only see them when I choose to. If my YOUNG son had been near my computer when I logged in, he didn't need to see that shot. I far prefer the old days of seeing the forum lists when I log in, not my portfolio or someone else's photos.

Can a mod please answer me why this happened?

This should fix:

Go to “My Account

See the “Adult Content” option

Select “Hide Nudes

See mine below, which I just corrected:

upload_2017-10-10_13-44-56.png.84897a4e81a3a3bbf483709aa187a7e9.png

I do not know why this has happened.

My guess is that during a recent update or modification, the previous selections and/or defaults were inadvertently changed.

WW

Well, I have nudes blocked, and always have, but the "Timeline" doesn't seem to respect this. We need to have the option of which page opens upon signing in.

It wasn't clear to me that in your opening post you were referring to the new Timeline feature.

Yes. I just logged out and logged in and the timeline display which appeared to me upon my login displays nudes even though have "Hide Nudes" selected in my Account options.

I don't know why this is so and I have referred the question to Glenn.

WW

William,

Thanks. FYI the matter has been mentioned in another thread, Coming Soon - New Feature - Timeline.

Glenn is aware of it, and I'm gratified that you were able to replicate the situation. I don't know if the OP, Bethe has them blocked or not. Even if she does, it's a problem for her, myself, and likely others. I'll limit further comments to the above mentioned thread.

The "hide" doesn't stick for me either, and it wasn't default. And the "My content" option shows everything (um, literally), while the other option--which should be everything--shows just the activities of people I've interacted with. Perhaps a little bit more work would be useful before the Timeline goes Online. (Safari 11.0)

It wasn't clear to me that in your opening post you were referring to the new Timeline feature.

Yes. I just logged out and logged in and the timeline display which appeared to me upon my login displays nudes even though have "Hide Nudes" selected in my Account options.

I don't know why this is so and I have referred the question to Glenn.

WW

She wasn't the OP (btw, there is a way to have a banner showing to designate the OP further down the thread - it's in use on photrio.com and is very helpful), but I agree with her. I don't know the names currently in use for "what shows on my screen right after I log in" - is that timeline? Or profile? Or account info?

Sorry, but this one was rolled out without being ready. I'm at the PSA conference and didn't have a chance to check in again until now. Tonight, it just shows a spinning aperture rather than any images.

She wasn't the OP

Yes. I noticed that it is you who is the OP when Laura responded; but I did not think that samll error mattered that much to the meaning and the context on my comments - the sole intent of my (quite rapid) response to your Opening Post was to assist you resolve the difficulty that you had.

The last time I logged in I was greeted with the "Timeline", I assume that is still so, although I haven't logged in for about six days so I cannot say for sure.

I normally use Firefox to view PNet.

As previously mentioned, I don't know why this particular functionality happened and I have naught to do with roll-outs.

Lastly, I am sorry for any inconvenienced caused to you, by me not correctly referring to you as the OP.

WW

Lastly, I am sorry for any inconvenienced caused to you, by me not correctly referring to you as the OP.

No inconvenience. Especially as Laura and I agree on this one.

If they want to add features, they could look at the banner showing who the OP is. It works well on photrio - another xenfora site.

• Like 1

Maybe I am doing something wrongly, or differently (happens a lot), but the way I access PN goes immediately to the forums, like so :

Photo.net Photography Forums

which is set up in an HTML file accessed from the HTML file that opens as my home page (all on C drive). Every so often (and I have no idea how often - at 67 YOA, with less of me working every day, I really cannot be bothered to keep a note of such irrelevancies), I am called upon to log in. I open the login page in a fresh window, log in, ignore whatever is displayed as it has no relevance to me, close the window, then refresh the original PN Forums page and Voila ! I am logged in again, at the cost of a couple of clicks and possibly a sigh or two. Not even enough time for my tea to get cold. Then, I meander through the actual forums that interest me, taking whatever action I deem necessary. I am chronically lazy - i try to find the easiest way of doing things.

Edited by Tony Parsons
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I open PN straight into the Seeking Critique page by saving it as a bookmark (this is for nostalgic reasons as the Critique Forum was always my first port of back in the days when there was a point).

But what I'm trying to convey is for me there is the option to open PN where I choose (I'm using Chrome). Would this information help, it seems this is similar to Tony Parsons answer.

No inconvenience. Especially as Laura and I agree on this one.

If they want to add features, they could look at the banner showing who the OP is. It works well on photrio - another xenfora site.

Are you talking about the board index page listings, or the postbit space that contains our avatars? The latter space bothers me tremendously. Admins have turned off all of the information about us appearing there--such as join date, subscriber status, location, and any sort of title. I note that for moderators and other staff some of this is turned on. Just a couple clicks of the mouse to do this... :(

Gerald, have you set the 'new' timeline function in your account preferences to take you directly to the forums on login? I have, others have, and it works well for us. There are only a couple who are experiencing difficulty with this and I suspect that the issue is not on the PN server side.

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!