WTB: Anybody who has experience with Zuiko 35-80mm/2.8?

wolfgang_gressmann

I had one of these lenses when I still used the OM system. What you have read is true; this is one of the finest zoom lenses ever built. If you're thinking of buying one - just do it!

The only thing I didn't like was the odd-ball filter size (62mm) which no other OM lens used.

I have never heard anything but raves about this lens. I knew of a fellow who had plenty of disposable income and bought one on a lark, sold it shortly thereafter, and then begged the fellow to sell it back. He still has it.

The lens is considered good enough that it was one of the standard lenses offered by Sinar as part of their monorail system with incorporated digital back.

If you want some quantative test results, you can check its performance against every other infinity focusing OM System lens at my: <a href=http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>Olympus OM Lens Tests</a>.

At the prices they go for, you might get "damage anxieties" when you actually shoot with one. It's amazing how an over priced lens will slow you down because you are afraid you might trip or something.

A Google search which includes the term OM will get you to some postings, from the very active Olympus Mailing List, on the pronounced barrel distortion this puppy has between maybe 35 and 38mm.

Me? I'd rather carry around outdoors the tiny 35-70mm f/3.5~4.5 Zuiko and indoors the 35-70mm f/3.6 with its way cool optimized lens hood.

With a going price of >$1000 what I have seen lately, you might consider to buy: 35/2 ($150-200), 50/2 macro ($350-400), 100/2 ($400-450). Even the outstanding optics for a _zoom_ of the 35-80/2.8 is easily beaten by the 50/2 and 100/2; the 35/2 isn't such a great performer but seems at least on par with the zoom. All three lenses have a 55mm filter diameter. If it must be a zoom, you might want to consider the Tamron SP 35-105mm/2.8 (filter Ø 67mm) for less than one third of the price ($300). For as much as it worth it: the Tamron and Zuiko zoom are both graded a 3.6 on the photodo.com site.

I have used all the lenses mentioned above at one time or another. Though I agree that the 35-80/2.8 is optically outstanding, I was disappointed by its mechanical construction: its the only two-ring zoom I know of which has zoom creep, and the front element assembly has about 1mm play (seems not to influence picture quality; even if it might not be considered normal, all three lenses which I have seen at dealers _new_ had this play). I think the germans say: "Passt, wackelt und hat Luft."

Unlike Bob I paid £900 second hand (Bob - I hope you bought at least three). I would only sell it to get a downpayment on a new one.

It is seriously heavy as Zuiko's go, and mine creeps through the zoom range when pointed verticaly up or down. Don't know if this is a function of wear, or the weight of the glass. Quality is indistinguishable from my primes and it's pretty much my standard lens now.